Author Topic: My first rifle & gun  (Read 4572 times)

Offline Foo-Shoots

My first rifle & gun
« on: August 30, 2018, 06:22:50 PM »

Just bought my first gun.  CZ 455 with a Nikon buck master scope 3x9

The bipod is from amazon, cost me $30.

My goal is to practice with this and for fun plinking.

I?m open to any advice or tips !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Old-Duckman

Re: My first rifle & gun
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 07:55:32 PM »
Welcome to the world of responsible firearms ownership! Be safe, Research , practice and enjoy.

For your next rifle, and there will be a next, I would suggest you get one with iron sights. I think every new shooter should start with irons but you have a scoped rifle, get competent with that and have fun. Time enough later for other experiences.

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 08:05:40 PM »
Great looking setup! Love the stock. Clean, lube and take it out and shoot a few hundred rounds. The barrel, bolt and trigger will  naturally smooth out and you'll be able to start seeing what it shoots best. Once you have a baseline you might consider replacing the trigger spring (lots of info on that) If it's a typical CZ you'll be amazed by the accuracy. Even more so when you shoot something else, lol. Hate to tell you but this rifle will spoil you on shooting other brands unless they are more expensive or modified from original.

You'll want to try irons because after awhile shooting small groups with a scoped CZ becomes boring.
CZ Fanbot since 1996

The Guardian

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 08:40:40 PM »

....I?m open to any advice or tips !

Shoot as often as you can..... and try as many firearms as you can get your hands on to see what works best for you!  And above all else, just have fun  ;)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 05:50:01 AM »
Pretty wood, pretty rifle.

As far off the stock as that scope will put your eye you might want to see about some sort of cheek piece to strap/wrap/install in order to get/maintain a consistent cheek weld.  That can be an issue even at 25 yds., let alone farther out.  BTDT.

Buy several brands of .22 ammo, find out what shoots the best groups, or groups acceptable to you for the purpose of the rifle and have lots of fun.  Oh, buy up enough of the ammo to last awhile in case we go through another period of a few years when .22 ammo is both scarce and expensive.  If anyone had ever told me I'd see bricks (500 rounds) of .22 ammo for sale for $75 to $85 each I'd have told them they were crazy, but that's what it was at gun shows as little as 3 years ago.

I don't know where you live or what type of area you shoot in/at, but let me tell you about one of our favorite targets when I was younger.  Golf balls.  Yup.  Golf balls.  We always were able to find lost/damaged golf balls around golf courses and we'd bring them home in bags.  We'd get a roofing nail (big head), drive it down till the head almost touches the golf ball, tie a piece of string on the nail and then tie the string onto a tree limb on one of the smaller apple trees across the creek from the house.  Then we'd get back on the house side of the creek and shoot at the golf balls.  They're about the size of a squirrel's head and smaller than a rabbit's head, so it was good practice.  Every not and then you cut the string or the nail head and the ball falls so you just wait till the shooting stops and pick the golf ball up and either put another nail in it or re-tie the string to the nail head.  I know of a few golf balls still hanging in some trees up above the old garden at my mom's house.  I sometimes see them when I walk up the road.

Good luck, be safe, have fun.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Wiley Coyote

• It Ain't Easy Being Me!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 05:54:10 AM »
All of the above. Shoot it like you're trying to wear it out. You can't. With even minimal care and maintenance it should last you a lifetime. But that won't stop you from wanting and getting at least another rifle.
Clayton

Offline Foo-Shoots

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 07:59:51 PM »
Welcome to the world of responsible firearms ownership! Be safe, Research , practice and enjoy.

For your next rifle, and there will be a next, I would suggest you get one with iron sights. I think every new shooter should start with irons but you have a scoped rifle, get competent with that and have fun. Time enough later for other experiences.
10-4 I?ll be looking out for some deals!!!

Offline Foo-Shoots

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 08:06:40 PM »
Great looking setup! Love the stock. Clean, lube and take it out and shoot a few hundred rounds. The barrel, bolt and trigger will  naturally smooth out and you'll be able to start seeing what it shoots best. Once you have a baseline you might consider replacing the trigger spring (lots of info on that) If it's a typical CZ you'll be amazed by the accuracy. Even more so when you shoot something else, lol. Hate to tell you but this rifle will spoil you on shooting other brands unless they are more expensive or modified from original.

You'll want to try irons because after awhile shooting small groups with a scoped CZ becomes boring.

10-4 will be looking to replace trigger spring!  Thank you for your tips and advice

Offline Foo-Shoots

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 10:02:08 PM »

Took my girl out today

Offline Old-Duckman

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 06:58:40 AM »
From what distance(s) did you shoot and how did you do?

Just a suggestion that I don?t think was mentioned earlier in this thread, even if you don?t clean your rifle after an outing, make sure you wipe down the exposed metal with some kind of rust preventative (plain motor oil works fine and a quart will last forever). A traditional blued finish will rust If not protected. Some people have what has been called ?killer hands?, don?t know what is with their body chemistry but their touch can cause rusting overnight. So to be on the safe side I wipe all my blued firearms exposed metal surfaces with an oily rag (I personally use CorrosionX, or RIG if it will be stored for a long time) after each and every handling of any them.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 09:04:29 AM »

Just a suggestion that I don?t think was mentioned earlier in this thread, even if you don?t clean your rifle after an outing, make sure you wipe down the exposed metal with some kind of rust preventative (plain motor oil works fine and a quart will last forever). A traditional blued finish will rust If not protected. Some people have what has been called ?killer hands?, don?t know what is with their body chemistry but their touch can cause rusting overnight. So to be on the safe side I wipe all my blued firearms exposed metal surfaces with an oily rag (I personally use CorrosionX, or RIG if it will be stored for a long time) after each and every handling of any them.

And be careful not to touch the metal with your hands when you finish wiping it down and put it away.  Wiped down with light oil and not touched before being put away will enable a blued gun/metal surface to last for a long time without rusting.  I have shotguns/handguns/rifles that only come out of the cases once every 4 or 5 years to be inspected/wiped down.  No rust issues even when stored in the attic (hot/humid in the summer, cold/humid in the winter).
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Foo-Shoots

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 10:20:31 AM »

Shot at only 100 yards, and did quite well.  Best I had was about 1? groups.  I was using the cheaper Winchester 40 grain.  And had quite a bit of wind. 

Thanks so much for the advice!! I?ll be looking into this right away!!

Offline Wiley Coyote

• It Ain't Easy Being Me!
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 08:40:05 PM »
If you can get hold of some CCI 40 gr. Standard Velocity, give it a try. It's by no means the best, but it is an excellent place to start.
Clayton

Offline Foo-Shoots

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 09:33:13 PM »
If you can get hold of some CCI 40 gr. Standard Velocity, give it a try. It's by no means the best, but it is an excellent place to start.

Yeap, I got em!  Just took these to test

Offline Koikeeper67

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2018, 12:35:57 AM »
Eyes and ears I noticed in the pic of you shooting you are not do not have any eye or hearing protection on. Use them or one day you may not need them. yes I know a .22 LR is not that loud but if you shoot it enough it is loud enough to cause permanent hearing damage. Eye protection is just a given you are dealing with explosive propellant and things can go bad< it my not bee from your firearm it could be from the guy shooting at the bench next to you either way it is not worth loosing an eye over.

Oh and nice choice for a first firearm.

anything