Author Topic: Firing pin retaining pin...is there an easier way?  (Read 2945 times)

Offline Garman

Firing pin retaining pin...is there an easier way?
« on: September 01, 2018, 06:51:43 PM »
Hi guys.

I have a P-01 compact and a P-01 urban gray pistols and the other night I removed the firing pins from both guns to compare the lengths of the firing pins. Since I found reinstalling the firing pin retaining pin a little tricky (I did get both pins back correctly), I was wondering if there is a video or tutorial around somewhere showing an easy way to do it? I did search this forum and even googled it, but came up with nothing. The urban gray was pretty easy to get back together but my P-01 compact with the 3 spring and extended firing pin upgrade was a little trickier.

Thanks

Offline Tok36

Re: Firing pin retaining pin...is there an easier way?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 07:39:57 PM »
The FPRP can be a bit tricky but with practice i have found that it dose get easier. Could you describe what issues you were having installing the FPRP?

Generally you rotate the Firing Pin so that the gap for the FPB plunger is facing the correct direction. Then you press the Firing Pin in so that you can see that the hole for the FPRP is not obstructed and start the FPRP into its hole.

Some folks like to put the slide onto the frame, let the hammer down onto the back of the slide and use the hammers weight to hold the Firing Pin in place so that they can start the FPRP.

Once the Firing Pin Retaining Pin is started i have found that tapping conservatively and consistently using a roll pin punch can avoid damage to the FPRP in some cases. In other cases i have found it a challenge to avoid at least some deformation to the end of the FPRP.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 12:47:49 AM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Garman

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 09:33:13 PM »
Some folks like to put the slide onto the frame, let the hammer down onto the back of the slide and use the hammers weight to hold the Firing Pin in place so that they can start the FPRP.

I actually did stumble across a YouTube video that showed a guy using the hammer to keep the firing pin in so that is what I will do next time.

Thanks for the tip Tok!

Offline Practical Shooter

• Legio Patria Nostra
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 06:52:01 AM »

I actually did stumble across a YouTube video that showed a guy using the hammer to keep the firing pin in so that is what I will do next time.

Thanks for the tip Tok!

Thanks for watching.
In all honesty, I can't believe no one came up using that way to reassemble the slide, not even CZ withing 40 years of producing this gun.
Here a video showing reassembly at 9:25

« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 01:56:24 PM by Practical Shooter »

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 10:20:14 AM »
I made some rami videos a while back.   There is one that details installing the retaining pin.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fczfirearms%2Eus%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D62123%2E0&share_tid=62123&share_fid=23595&share_type=t

Cheers,
Toby

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This forum rocks!

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 11:03:41 AM »
Practical Shooter, that's a neat "find."

Thanks for sharing.  It'll make it easier on me from now on as I don't always have a "3rd hand" around to hold the firing pin in place for me.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Garman

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 12:18:22 PM »

Thanks for the tip Tok!

Thanks for watching.
In all honestly, I can't believe no one came up using that way to reassemble the slide, not even CZ withing 40 years of producing this gun.
Here a video showing reassembly at 9:25

Thank you Practical Shooter!! I just subscribed to your channel! Good stuff and very helpful!  :)  Are the roll pins that you linked from Amazon still working out for you? You said that they were a little shorter than the original roll pin. Has that caused any issues? The length of the roll pin you linked is 3/4" in length. I see Amazon offers a roll pin in the same diameter with a length of 7/8". I wonder if this length is the same length as the original?

Thanks!

• Legio Patria Nostra
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 02:09:00 PM »
I made some rami videos a while back.   There is one that details installing the retaining pin.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fczfirearms%2Eus%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D62123%2E0&share_tid=62123&share_fid=23595&share_type=t

Cheers,
Toby

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Great videos tdogg.
My believe is "More videos, the better".
Like many, I watch videos of a specific project I am working on, like fixing my washing machine.
I never stop after watching the first video, but after watching many videos. Watching videos slowly build the confidence I need in the area I once knew nothing about.
Some videos have different angles, close up and explanations. Added together, they make an outstanding package of worthwhile informations.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 07:36:28 AM by Practical Shooter »

• Legio Patria Nostra
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 03:56:46 PM »
Thank you Practical Shooter!! I just subscribed to your channel! Good stuff and very helpful!  :)  Are the roll pins that you linked from Amazon still working out for you? You said that they were a little shorter than the original roll pin. Has that caused any issues? The length of the roll pin you linked is 3/4" in length. I see Amazon offers a roll pin in the same diameter with a length of 7/8". I wonder if this length is the same length as the original?

Thanks!

Thanks for subscribing Garman. Any added subscription pushes me to get off my butt and make another video. 

The last time I pulled my gun apart, the roll pin (3500 rounds on it) was still in perfect condition.
As of now, I have 1424 rounds through my SP-01 without any cleaning, as I want to see how far I can take it without cleaning it. So I don't know how the roll pin is doing, but it should do fine.
Concerning the roll pin dimensions, The one I suggested is working very well in the SP-01. If you find a better fit, by no means go for it and please report the outcomes. For what my research came to, look for pins with "Medium Carbon Steel". It seams to be the most durable.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 06:15:36 PM by Practical Shooter »

Offline MuzzleBlastMD

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 12:21:43 AM »
The FPRP can be a bit tricky but with practice i have found that it dose get easier. Could you describe what issues you were having installing the FPRP?

Generally you rotate the Firing Pin so that the gap for the FPB plunger is facing the correct direction. Then you press the Firing Pin in so that you can see that the hole for the FPRP is not obstructed and start the FPRP into its hole.

Once the Firing Pin is started i have found that tapping conservatively and consistently using a roll pin punch can avoid damage to the FPRP in some cases. In other cases i have found it a challenge to avoid at least some deformation to the end of the FPRP.

My friend and I do a two person operation where one holds the firing pin down, as the other taps the retaining pin with a punch. 

Sounds like an invention should be made to do this by one person.  I have helped my friend with his. He helped me with my 2 CZ 75 pistols.

The trigger spring is ten times easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro