Author Topic: Suppressors: Which are you running and what muzzle devices?  (Read 1439 times)

Offline John A.

Re: Suppressors: Which are you running and what muzzle devices?
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2018, 09:49:51 PM »
There are suppressor manufacturers that have used cones in many of their suppressor lines.  I don't dispute that.  I also don't dispute a good can is a good can regardless of whether it started out as a solvent trap kit, or you paid a premium for it and bought it from the manufacturer.

Typically high power rifle stuff use cones.  308.  223

And many have experimented with clipping the baffles, others have not. I get the basic principle of it, I just don't know that it is worth the effort in the end product.  I have friends who work (and own) their own manufacturing facilities and much of their data on their meters have concluded  the same where they have tested before and after porting and clipping.  And I have known people who use solvent traps and listen to the can before and after clipping. Most show only a neglible change in sound, if any.  If you have a poor sounding can, clipping baffles isn't going to fix it.

I have seen others use different length spacers and simply by arranging them differently, has shown more of an improvement than clipping.

With that said, not all calibers work well with cones which are mainly what's been out there for some time now.  Some calibers work better with other designs.  High pressures and low pressures just need different things.  Otherwise, all silencers would have cones and sound great with no reason to use any other style.  But that's not really the case.

This is where much of my bias comes from.  And bias probably isn't the right word anyway.  My distrust and dislike is for solvent trap companies taking advantage of people who don't really know any better and don't care if their unknown grade aluminum cones melts after a mag dump of 308.  After all, making any changes from how they ship the solvent traps, changes what they were marketing, so they're not responsible when someone gets hurt. 

How many solvent trap companies have came and went in the last 3 or 4 years? 

« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 10:15:35 PM by John A. »
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline Asylum9

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2018, 11:55:18 PM »
I don't disagree there are a number of shady places out there selling who knows what but I can only think of one that was shut down by the BATFE because he went way to far. Companies like SD tac where temporarily shut down until the forum and content that could question intent where removed and are back up.
I don't disagree one style of cone, freeze plugs or monocore is the be all end all. I have yet to try any of the monocore brake style f1's.
All I'm saying is there are traps out there that can compete with the high $ cans for a few hundred dollars less. Granted it's up to the end users knowledge, skill and tooling to complete it so results may vary. To say it won't be  very good is a broad and general statement that may drive the future away.
If you have a poor sounding can clipping alone won't fix it. That usually affects point of impact and tone the most. But clipping, adjusting bore and spacing can make a poor sounding suppressor sound better.
There isn't a company out there that will tell you a cheap homemade $300 suppressor made from a Maglite and valve spring retainers or what have you is comparable to there's. That would be like Daniel defense saying an 80% lower can be made to work like there's for half the cost. Or because I started with an 80 instead of whittling out of 1 blank it must suck.
ApIII%

Offline John A.

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2018, 07:28:13 AM »
There are a lot of solvent trap companies who no longer are in business.  I can think of several just off the top of my head.

Also, SD tac no longer sells cones or solvent traps that I could see. 

When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.