Author Topic: 97 barrel bushing slop.  (Read 1726 times)

Offline CaliforniaGunner

97 barrel bushing slop.
« on: September 11, 2018, 04:30:06 PM »
I just picked up a 97B. The target showing accuracy is not what I would call impressive. I guess it could have been the shooter having a bad day but it got me thinking, how could I improve accuracy without sending in half the Gun to Cajun for a 1911 style bushing upgrade.  I noticed the stock bushing has a lot of play in the threads.

Here is what I'm thinking, if I can get a thin washer and fit it between the slide and the bushing it should remove the slop and make the pistol more accurate.

Thoughts?

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Re: 97 barrel bushing slop.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 06:20:10 PM »
They all have slop in the threads and are made to be that way.The bushing in stock form is not intended to be tightened down. My 97 was extremely accurate with the stock bushing but after the CGW upgrade it's worlds better yet,well worth the money.
Have you fired this gun yet? If not and you are basing your impression of accuracy on the test target you are already chasing a ghost. Those test targets are more a function test than an accuracy test. I have test targets that look like buckshot patterns but the corresponding guns are extremely accurate. If you haven't fired it yet go put some rounds through it and see how it does.

Offline thedude

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 06:23:35 PM »
I'd agree with that.  Shoot it if you haven't already, and don't put too much stock in that test target. 

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 07:47:34 PM »
The test target isn't intended to show accuracy.

Offline CaliforniaGunner

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 11:28:26 PM »
No, I have not shot it yet, I had planned to before I do anything, or do nothing more likely.  I?m sure the gun is more accurate than I am and most likely will just keep it stock, I was just wondering if anyone has had that thought before or maybe tried it.  If the bushing is designed to be lose its possible adding a washer to tighten it might make the accuracy worse. And a concern might be damage to the barrel.

Even though I plan to keep it mostly stock the ones thing I am changing for sure is the sights.  Since I?m in California it came with night sights but they are the glow in the dark type, not tritium.  I plan on making this my bed side gun and since it will be sitting in a safe the current sights don?t give any benefit over standard white 3 dot.  I will be getting a set of the TruGlo TFX night sights.  Fiber optic AND tritium, great for night and day, best of both worlds.

Thanks for the reply?s folks. I can?t wait to hit the range, going this weekend.

DJK11

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 08:19:31 AM »
FYI on the tfx pro sights.  They will install on the 97 but the are zeroed for the 75.  The rear site is waaay short.  At 10 yards they are about 5" low.  I tried them and went back to the oem sights.  Tru glo said the will have the correct 97 sights later this year.  If you want a set I'll send mine for $80 shipped.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 09:01:09 AM »
The factory bushing is good enough for a service gun.  I wouldn't try a washer or anything else to tighten it up.  That said, if you want a bullseye match gun, get the CGW "E" bushing upgrade.  That is what I did for my bullseye match pistol.  I also put a CGW 10x bushing in my 75B 9mm slide, but that is another topic.  With the CGW bushings, both guns are suitable for bullseye match competition.  I've shot them out to 100 yards from a bench with excellent results.

But one must pull the trigger without moving the gun, regardless of the bushing fit, or the results will not be good.  In other words, I can shoot a $5k match gun just as poorly as a service pistol on some days.   :)

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 01:01:23 PM »
I actually did modify the bushing such that it is tight when lined up with the recoil spring plug.  I couldn't say if there was any measurable improvement to accuracy though.  I did it because I had a bushing spin while shooting and damage the original bushing.  I couldn't be positive that it was because it was loose or if it was because I didn't get it lined up properly upon assembly (it was brand new to me).  CZ sent me a replacement bushing and I modified that one to ensure it didn't happen again.

I removed material from the back face of the bushing until it was tight when lined up with the recoil plug.  The bushing as shipped was almost there and I only had to remove a very small amount to get it to line up when tight.  I've shot thousands of rounds through mine in practice/competition since the modification with no issue.  Your mileage may vary.

I fully intend on sending my 97BD to CGW for the bushing mod.  I have other priorities currently but it will happen someday.  I'm not shooting it in competition as I have the TSO now.

Cheers,
Toby
This forum rocks!

Offline CaliforniaGunner

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 08:35:28 AM »
DJK11 - Thank you for that info.  I had not done extensive research on models. I will wait for the correct height sights to come out.

tdog - that is good to know. After shooting the gun a little I might try my washer idea. Doesn't cost much and it can be easily returned to stock.

Not really looking for a bullseye gun. However, I may eventually send it to Cajun for a bushing.

Offline CaliforniaGunner

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 03:43:05 AM »
So, funny thing. I went to the local hardware store today and picked up a full length satin steel guide rod. It is a door hinge pin. It is literally the perfect size. I read someone else doing this, happened to see the door hinges while I was there and figured why not try it for a 4pack for 98 cents. It totally works, perfect fit. As far as I can tell it's the exact same dimensions as the Cajun one.  I have 3 left. If anyone wants to PM me there address I will mail one to you.

But here is even more interesting bit. After I put the gun back together I was tightening the bushing and noticed that at the very most finger tight position there was only about half a millimeter left before it would be tight and seat the spring bushing. Tightened it just that little bit and I accomplished what I was originally asking about.

Haven't run the gun yet, there are no ranges close by and I work during the week. I will be hitting the range this weekend for sure. I will likely test accuracy with both guide rods and with the barrel bushing tight and lose. If there is anything significant I will update ya'll.

anything