Author Topic: Fitting Ambi Thin Safeties to Shadow SP-01 Problem  (Read 82 times)

Offline dbarn

Fitting Ambi Thin Safeties to Shadow SP-01 Problem
« on: September 13, 2018, 04:09:49 PM »
I've looked at all of the videos and determined where to file. No problem fitting RH side to LH or with filing known spot on LH side.

The problem I'm having is getting the slide to go back on after installation. It stops dead cold over the safety and appears to be hitting the RH side flat of safety just above where it comes into the frame.

Looking at the factory installed version it appears this flat area has been filed down more. On the right track?

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Fitting Ambi Thin Safeties to Shadow SP-01 Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 07:15:57 PM »
Not sure how similar they are, but - on my CZ85 pistols that right side safety has nothing to do with stopping sear movement (like the left side safety shaft/cam do.)

But, the right side safety has two flat surfaces on it.  One that is parallel to the slide/frame rails when the safety is in the FIRE position and the other forward of that spot and is angled down/forward when the safety is in the FIRE position.

I cannot see where/why taking a little more metal off that flat spot that is parallel to the slide/rails when in the FIRE position would hurt anything. 

In fact, you might be able to remove the slide, put the safety in the FIRE position and feel a slight "bump" if that flat spot sticks up any at all.  If it does stick up that might be what the slide is catching on.

Good luck with it.

While the disclamers always read about having a qualified gunsmith install parts it is very satisfying to work on your own and figure out problems and fix them.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline dbarn

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 09:02:00 PM »
Thank you, will definitely give it shot. Good to know it can't hurt. Evidently there are tolerance differences from pistol to pistol as I've not seen any info that this can be a problem area.

As these come in a set, just did not want to ruin one side.  ;D

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 06:14:49 AM »
Finally found a picture (not the best, but it should do) of mine.  Just above my thumbnail you can see a short shiny spot on the rail on the right side of the frame.  Just in front of that is a short dark spot.

That short dark spot is the right side safety shaft and one of the little flats on it.  The one that is parallel to the frame rail, but slightly below the frame rail, so no contact is made with the slide.  May be why that area isn't shiny - because it doesn't make contact with the slide as ths slide moves.

I shouldn't take but a little polishing to stop that from contacting the slide - if that is where contact is being made.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline dbarn

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 08:00:04 AM »
That's exactly where the slide is making contact as the area is slightly above the rail. Initially I was thinking the left side where it makes contact with the sear arm as that's the only other recommended filing area. However that did not make sense as it's going under the sear arm when rotated.

Thanks again. Will relieve metal there this weekend and should solve the problem. Hopefully this will help others also.  :)