Author Topic: SP-01 Failure to Feed(with picture)  (Read 4976 times)

Offline Scotty_0907

SP-01 Failure to Feed(with picture)
« on: September 13, 2018, 11:30:48 PM »
Just looking for some possible causes and direction. I've had two failure's to feed looking exactly the same. One with a 135gr Blue Bullet and one with a 147gr H&S FP. They are both loaded about 1.110-1.120. It's only been about a .5 or 1% failure rate. But I don't want it to happen during a match.

The gun has a CGW 10lb recoil spring when the blue bullet ftf happened and a 12lb recoil spring when the H&S ftf happened. So I've ruled out recoil springs for now. The mags are Mec-Gar 17 rounders, fairly new. The gun has had 750-1000 rounds through it. Bought new in July.

I don't really want to send it back to CZ or anything. More than capable of fixing anything that needs to be fixed.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Scott

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

P-09/SRO
P-07
Scorpion Carbine
IDPA #A984922
USPSA #A103975

Offline jfk

Re: SP-01 Failure to Feed(with picture)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 11:42:32 PM »
Clean the gun thoroughly and try different ammo.  The three causes of malfunctions on semi-auto pistols are cleaning, ammo, and magazine related.  Is it possible the ammo may have a few that are not loaded with enough oomf?  Winchester White box gives me issues on occasion.  When I use Winchester L.E. loads (Ranger) never a problem.  I get excellent reliability with Federal American Eagle and Fiocchi in all pistol and carbine guns. 

Offline larry8061

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 11:49:37 PM »
You forgot "limp wristing", which actually be anywhere in the arm.

Offline newageroman

• Press or cry like the rest...
    • The Brass Bucket - Brass Trading Website
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 11:33:40 AM »
Id run some factory rounds through it and see if it still happens. That way you take half the problems off the table either way. As a reloader, I hate buying factory, but when I have problems, that is the first thing I do.
Ricky Ace Range Review: https://rumble.com/c/c-1388111
75B-BullShadow SAO (Limited Optics)
SP-01-SAO-comped (OpenMajor)
97E SAO, 97B, SAR copies
..others..

Offline kmanick

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 11:35:49 AM »
I had this happen to my shadow 2 and it was a bad magazine (new MecGar too :(  )
is it one mag or multiple?
make it criminal to own a gun and only criminals will own them

Offline Scotty_0907

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 04:15:37 PM »
I'm not sure on the magazine. I've since numbered them to find out. I don't know the last time I've actually bought factory ammo since picking up a Dillon 550c. That will be next. Maybe a good time to try some of that new Federal Syntech ammo.

P-09/SRO
P-07
Scorpion Carbine
IDPA #A984922
USPSA #A103975

Offline Tok36

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 08:21:10 PM »
It may be worth inspecting the inside/underside of the slide stop for marks. With some bullet profiles and an unmodified slide stop the bullets can contact the slide stop while the magazine pushes them up into position to be picked up by the slide.

Here is a reference picture of a modified slide stop.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 08:36:53 PM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 08:47:46 PM »
Not sure how you logically ruled out recoil springs in the OP.
Did you observe h8w far the cases were thrown?

That said, there  appears to be brass from cases hitting near the ejection port; on the outsideof the extracter..  Maybe extracter issue.  Any metal burrs, etc. In there or on the edges of the ejection port?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 08:53:05 PM by Tyerone »

Offline Scotty_0907

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 10:36:09 PM »
It may be worth inspecting the inside/underside of the slide stop for marks. With some bullet profiles and an unmodified slide stop the bullets can contact the slide stop while the magazine pushes them up into position to be picked up by the slide.

Here is a reference picture of a modified slide stop.

Thanks for the info. I checked it with my bullet profiles and it seems to have a little more clearance than your picture, unmodified. There was a burr on the leading edge at the bottom of the breech face. Maybe disturbing the round it's about to pick up.

Its ejecting brass 8 feet or so. They are brand new recoil springs. Both failure had cleared the empty brass. No double feeds or anything like that.

Thanks everyone for the input. I have an IDPA match tomorrow. We will see what happens.

P-09/SRO
P-07
Scorpion Carbine
IDPA #A984922
USPSA #A103975

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 08:20:16 AM »
I've never had this issue with a CZ (Series 70 Colt, yes, more later).

It looks like the slide is not hitting the rear of the case as the slide moves forward.  It hits the side of the case and drags it forward/upwards out of the magazine but striking the case in that manner it  cannot chamber the round, it just hangs up sort of sideways with the bullet up and the slide against the side of the case.

Anyway, a couple things to check.  First a question:  When this happens is it somewhere in the first few rounds, the middle of the rounds in the magazine or the rounds near the bottom of the magazine.

I ask, because, as someone who sometimes unloads a full magazine or two to clean the insides I've seen/felt some magazines get real "draggy" as you thumb the rounds out to empty it.  The feed upwards nice and strong at first, then you begin to wonder if the rounds are going to pop on up to the feed lips and then after you get past those 3 to 5 rounds that seem to hang/drag the rest of the rounds move upward nice and strong again.

Questions now:
1) when was the last time you took the magazines apart and cleaned the insides out?
2) have you ever stripped the oils/dirt off the magazine surfaces (inside and outside) and used car wax (a couple good coats inside and outside - just like you'd wax your car/truck) to both protect and slick up the interior surfaces?

I just recently started waxing (a few) of my CZ magazines and I can't promise it will fix your problem.  I did mine for rust/corrosion protection issues (I sweat a lot and my spare magazines come out of the pouch with sweat drops beaded up all over them).  Other folks here have reported that waxing the inside and outside of their magazines helps keep them cleaner and functioning smoother.

Good luck with it.  It can absolutely be fixed as many people never report this issue, so there is a cause and a fix.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline TheMO

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 11:53:44 AM »
Plenty of good advice above.  In my experience the usual suspects are magazines (feedlips, follower, spring), ammo or recoil spring.  This is assuming you have a solid grip and aren't limp wristing. 

Numbering your mags is a good start and should help identify which mag is causing your problems. 

If you have other recoil springs try a heavier one.

Ammo, this calls for any decent name brand ammo to remove any possible reloading problems.

Offline muncie21

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 10:23:07 PM »
While not very scientific, try loading those bullets shorter and see if this is an improvement.  I load my 9mm CZs at 1.08-1.09.  Granted you have a different bullet, but it's an easy thing to check/verify.

Offline melsauto

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2020, 05:13:20 PM »

Offline DesertRatR

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2020, 08:18:18 PM »
I had the same exact problem as OP with one specific mag in my SP-01 Shadow. I took it to a gun smith. He worked on it for about 3 minutes and it's been fine ever since. I asked him what was wrong with the mag and all he said was "several things".

I've also found cleaning matters, in some guns. With my CZs after every match or range day I run a bore snake thru it and also clean the ramp well. It seems to help. With my 22's I find I need to pay particular attention to cleanliness. I generally run a snake thru them after every stage of a match, for insurance. BTW, Elias Frangoulous tells me cleaning doesn't matter very much, for what its worth.

anything