Author Topic: CZ75 vs. M9 Beretta  (Read 288 times)

Offline Hrfunk

CZ75 vs. M9 Beretta
« on: September 16, 2018, 01:51:51 PM »
Hi folks! Below is a link to my latest video. This is part 1 of a two part series where I compare and contrast these two pistols; both of which were developed and originally adopted during the Cold War. In this part, I'm in the shop looking at the features and characteristics of my two Cold Warriors to see if either one really has an edge over the other one. Be sure to let me know what YOU think of the conclusions I draw. Then stay tuned for part 2 where I head to the range to see how the pistols perform in a head to head showdown.

HRF

Offline double-d

Re: CZ75 vs. M9 Beretta
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 04:01:50 PM »
Czech verses Italian.

I have my own conclusion having own both..................

I ditched the 92 (M9)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 07:21:42 PM by jwc007, Reason: Forum space saving »

Offline Hrfunk

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 04:45:03 PM »
Czech verses Italian.

I ditched the 92 (M9)

Please share! I'd like to hear  them.

HRF
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 07:23:41 PM by jwc007, Reason: Too much blank spacing and commentary within the quote »

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 07:11:32 PM »
The Beretta is a pistol that feels pretty good in my hand.  It's also pretty smooth, working the slide, pulling the trigger, etc.  Well, at least the 90-Two is, not sure how those stack up to a standard 92 or even the new ones.

I do know the 90-2 does not match up to my CZ's on the range (groups).

The 92 had some serious early teething issues.  Slides breaking in half and smacking the shooter in the face are not things you want to happen.  I understand they put a piece in the frame to catch the broken slides and I don't even know if they still break slides, or not.  I just remember reading about that in the early to mid 80's when we were watching the hangun "news" closely and finally elected to go with the S&W 686 4" revolvers for issue handguns in the small LE department where I worked at the time.

We wouldn't even discuss the 9MM, especially after the FBI Miami shoot out.  Though I don't remember if that was before, or after we bought 686's.  I just remember reading about it and talking with the Chief and my sometimes partner and regular shooting buddy on the graveyard shift.

My son (youngest) just had to have the 90-2 a few years back.  It stays in his gun safe these days as I can't hardly get him to shoot anything but that CZ75SA in 9MM.

When you get the range session done, it would be nice to see which one of the two you have shoots best for you.  I know they are individual guns and another one just like it may shoot better, or worse, but I'd still like to see the video when you get it finished.

Oh, I went on down and watched your 03A4 video.  Try some 180 grain Sierra match kings on top of some IMR4350 (I don't remember the load, just that it was not a max load and it was compressed).  Best load my old 03A4 ever shot.  Three out of five water filled milk jugs at 500 yds. on a regular basis.  Yours looks a lot better than mine.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 07:41:37 PM »
I own both and have put many thousands of rounds downrange thru both.  I feel well armed with either and would carry either one into the gates of battle.

In the past, the weakest point of the Beretta design has been it's Locking Block, and I went thru three of them before getting a second generation locking block, which is still working well.
There is now a third generation version out.

The weakest points of the Cz75 design tend to be it's Extractor and occasionally the Slide Stop Pin.  I have only had one Slide Stop Pin break, but I have heard of others breaking a few.
Also, the Extractor and it's Spring and associated Slide Channel need to be cleaned and maintained. My Pre-B had it's extractor break and I've replaced a few Extractor Springs on newer Cz75's with Wolff Extractor Springs which must be fitted.  Not typical repairs though.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline SharpShooterNJ

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 09:35:14 PM »
Excellent video! Very well done, sir! Subscribed to your channel and look forward to viewing past and future videos.

I enjoy both pistols, a lot, and would be hard pressed to choose between the two. Both are excellent shooters, more accurate than I, and reliable.

If I had to make a tough decision, CZ75.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline ssqman

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 11:12:31 PM »
That was a great video. I'm looking forward to the second part. You could reduce the trigger pull on the Beretta by changing to a 16lb hammer spring (d spring) while retaining 100% ignition.
I really don't care for the Omega trigger itself. It was actually painful to shoot. Ended up swapping it out for the hook shape trigger from the P07 duty model.
Both models are some of my all time favorites. Classics. You did a decent comparison.
No, Google is not my friend

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 06:16:34 AM »
That was a great video. I'm looking forward to the second part. You could reduce the trigger pull on the Beretta by changing to a 16lb hammer spring (d spring) while retaining 100% ignition.
I really don't care for the Omega trigger itself. It was actually painful to shoot. Ended up swapping it out for the hook shape trigger from the P07 duty model.
Both models are some of my all time favorites. Classics. You did a decent comparison.

I don't notice the recoil, or a trigger issue with the 9MM Omegas.  But that P09 in .40 S&W would really work my trigger finger over.  I have a DUTY P07 in .40 S&W that I don't notice the trigger on, so I too, bought/changed out the Omega trigger on the P09 for an older DUTY trigger and now I'm happy with it.

Funny how what works for one person doesn't work for the next.  Good thing those older trigger work in the newer pistols.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline double-d

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 08:38:37 AM »
Czech verses Italian.

I ditched the 92 (M9)

Please share! I'd like to hear  them.

HRF

1) Safety location ------- I'm a 1911 guy
2) Able to carry condition one
3) Ergonomics
4) Pre-B was 60% the cost of the 92F when I bought them
5) CZ had better accuracy
6) Found someone that needed the latest US service pistol

Probably left something out.

Offline John A.

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 09:00:35 AM »
All my opinions are subjective and merely my opinions.

If comparing the centurion to the S120, the 120 shoots better groups.  Both have the same magazine capacity.  Both are decent guns.

The Centurion slide feels like it's on roller bearings.  The 120 has less "slop" (this probably not the best description to use as neither are what I would normally call sloppy).

The centurion is a little lighter (more aluminum in the 92 compared to more steel in the 120).  And obviously the centurion has a slightly shorter barrel and slide).

The 92 trigger pull is better.  Then again, I've tuned and polished it more.  When the springs started getting weak from use over the last couple of decades, I recently put all new springs in it.  Including the D spring and wolf trigger spring.

They compare relatively close to each other.

But as I said, the 120 is the more accurate between the two.

I don't feel bad with either gun.  But considering the s120 is half the price says a lot too.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.