Author Topic: HBI K conversion  (Read 4609 times)

Offline Jlui83

HBI K conversion
« on: September 20, 2018, 01:36:18 PM »
Anyone run one of these? For the price it comes with everything you need to turn your scorpion into a K conversion.

I?m debating on trying it out. Any reviews or first hand experience?

Hows the barrel? Reliablilty? any known issues?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 03:50:34 PM by Jlui83 »

Offline Asylum9

Re: HBI K conversion
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 05:48:54 PM »
I don't have one. Yet. I know there not plug and play.
I've been debating the cost of cutting and threading the factory barrel vs finding a machine shop to mill the extractor pocket. Aren't there differences in Gen 1 &  Gen 2 trunnion sizes also?
I do know that HBI is a stand up company and have yet seen a sloppy part come from there shop. If milling wasn't necessary I would buy one without thinking twice.
ApIII%

Offline Jlui83

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 05:52:12 PM »
Why isn?t it plug and play? The conversion kit comes with the barrel, trunion, handguard. Just gotta take the factory stuff off then put on the new stuff.....unless I?m missing something.

Offline No. 6

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 09:08:33 PM »
Why isn?t it plug and play? The conversion kit comes with the barrel, trunion, handguard. Just gotta take the factory stuff off then put on the new stuff.....unless I?m missing something.

Nope.  You've got the gist of the conversion.  Remove, replace, shoot.
Bren 805 SBR  527M 7.62x39  Scorpion Evo 3 SBR

Offline Asylum9

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 10:05:03 PM »
From the HBI site

"GUNSMITH INSTALLATION IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. The Scorpion Evo family of firearms span several generations (Gen1, Gen2, ect?) and the trunnions to which the barrels mate are not clocked/timed. This means that each barrel must be paired exclusively to the trunnion/upper receiver in which it will be used. As such, our barrels DO NOT have an extractor notch milled into the chamber. This notch must be machined and matched directly to the trunnion in YOUR Scorpion Evo. Please see our video below for more info. Please note that this barrel does NOT work with factory handguards (pistol or carbine)."
ApIII%

Offline No. 6

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 12:34:43 AM »
Guess mine is a fluke then. 
Ran a full 30 rd magazine through it after replacing the barrel (HBI 5.3 inch w/trunnion) and forearm (HBI 6.84 inch).  Had zero issues.  Fed and extracted flawlessly.  Locked open after the last round.
Actually had less problems with the Scorpion than I did with my AR9 on it's first test firing.
Bren 805 SBR  527M 7.62x39  Scorpion Evo 3 SBR

Offline Jlui83

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 07:27:22 AM »
Asylum. Might be looking at different things bc this is plug and play
https://hbindustries.net/store/shop/cz-scorpion-microk-conversion-kit/

Offline oxbow

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 09:40:39 AM »
I did it with ZERO issues.  It was pretty easy and looks and works great.

Offline Asylum9

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 10:50:32 AM »

Well that's interesting. I wasn't looking at the kit because I already have there handguard. I was looking at the K Barrel  by if self. Wonder why it would be different.

So no one milled any extractor pocket? Just installed and started shooting?  Any failure to extract, feed or other malfunctions? What Gen is everyone running without the extractor pocket?

ApIII%

Offline OpusXJ

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 12:46:07 PM »

Well that's interesting. I wasn't looking at the kit because I already have there handguard. I was looking at the K Barrel  by if self. Wonder why it would be different.

So no one milled any extractor pocket? Just installed and started shooting?  Any failure to extract, feed or other malfunctions? What Gen is everyone running without the extractor pocket?

FFS stop... This thread is discussing the complete drop in kit, which consists of a new barrel installed in a new trunnion with the extractor pocket machined. You can purchase either the barrel assembly or a kit with the barrel assembly and handguard.

This thread is not discussing swapping just the barrel into your existing trunnion.

Offline Jlui83

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 01:10:05 PM »

FFS stop... This thread is discussing the complete drop in kit, which consists of a new barrel installed in a new trunnion with the extractor pocket machined. You can purchase either the barrel assembly or a kit with the barrel assembly and handguard.

This thread is not discussing swapping just the barrel into your existing trunnion.

Yup. Stay on my topic please. Anyone else have this full drop in kit? Noticed any accuracy change?

Offline Mr.E.G.

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 01:31:00 PM »
What kind of loss in velocity is to be expected with a conversion like this?

Offline OpusXJ

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 04:22:30 PM »
Velocity and accuracy differences are negligible with 2" less barrel. Still easy to make hits out to 100yds plus with some hold over.

I've installed quite a few for my customers and they've been happy.

Offline Jlui83

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 04:35:33 PM »
Velocity and accuracy differences are negligible with 2" less barrel. Still easy to make hits out to 100yds plus with some hold over.

Any difficulties in the install?

I know that the handguard is aluminum. I also have the upgraded aluminum charging handle from HBI. Notice any wear or friction? Haven?t read up on this or if anyone has found a way to elevate that issue.

Offline OpusXJ

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 04:47:45 PM »

Any difficulties in the install?

I know that the handguard is aluminum. I also have the upgraded aluminum charging handle from HBI. Notice any wear or friction? Haven?t read up on this or if anyone has found a way to elevate that issue.

It's easy. Hardest part is the barrel nut if you have a stubborn gun. Tap the receiver halves apart with a soft hammer, dont pry them apart at the trunnion if stuck. Dont overtighten the bolts either as it will crack the left receiver plate at the trunnion.

If you care about how your gun looks I'd run a poly handle. Aluminum handle will wear the finish off the finger catch and handguard.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 04:52:40 PM by OpusXJ »

anything