Author Topic: Factory rear P-01 sight will NOT BUDGE  (Read 4717 times)

Offline john seeley

Factory rear P-01 sight will NOT BUDGE
« on: February 13, 2021, 08:46:25 PM »
I went to take the factory rear off my P-01 and it wouldn't move. Placed the slide in a padded vice and progressed from a small hammer (with Dawson aluminum nylon tipped punch), to a carpenters hammer and then to a large ball peen hammer and it still wouldn't budge with some big wacks. (Of course I removed the set screw.)

I took extra precaution with 18 quintillion layers of masking tape and managed to still mar the sight a little, but the slide is still untouched. Do you think an overnight soak of Zep, PB or Liquid Wrench will make a difference in this case and will it hurt the polycoat?

Does anyone know of a decent low-priced sight pusher because I only plan on using it once for my P-01. I did the sights on my PCR a couple years ago and the rear sight came out right away with a couple of light wacks, but this one IS IN THERE! Thx.

EDIT: I tried hitting it out from right to left because I can see it was installed at the factory from left to right. I even tried tapping it out the other way. No dice.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 12:37:12 AM by john seeley »

Offline eastman

Re: Factory rear P-01 sight will NOT BUDGE
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 10:11:29 PM »
I use  the NCStar sight pusher. I done 8-10 rear sights with it so far (but it is the wrong shape for Novak 1911 front sights).
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline john seeley

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 10:15:23 PM »
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 11:17:10 PM by john seeley »

Offline Lock-n-load

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 12:03:26 AM »
Ncstar sight pusher has worked on all my cz rear sights. Got cheap on amazon

Offline john seeley

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 12:29:35 AM »
Thanks. I'm going to try to wack it one more time tomorrow. I just put some WD-40 in the set screw hole and capillary action pulled it out the sides.. I'll also try putting some ice on the sight just before I hit it.... if any of that matters. lol  And then I'll order the Ncstar after that.

Offline Fuzzy Sights

• > Dirt
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 01:59:50 AM »
You want the sight cold and the slide hot.  Try heat as there may have been one of the stronger locktight used.  Have had similar issues before and heat did more than anything else to get things moving.

Good luck.

JW
Vivat et res publica!

Think of me as a Newbee who types a lot.

Offline john seeley

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 09:27:30 AM »
You want the sight cold and the slide hot.  Try heat as there may have been one of the stronger locktight used.  Have had similar issues before and heat did more than anything else to get things moving.

Good luck.

JW

Thanks. It's a new P-01 so there shouldn't be loctite. But I'll try all heat first in case there is.

Offline dwhite

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 12:12:10 PM »
I bought this tool about a year ago while it was on sale for about $100:
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/sight-scope-installation-tools/sight-movers/armorers-handgun-sight-tool-sku100024279-104737-200602.aspx?sku=100024279

I haven't used it too many times yet; but when I have it's worked perfectly.

The first time I used it was on a P01. That sight is in there tight! I was worried that it wasn't going to come out. But I kept slowly applying more pressure with the large drive knob until the sight finally budged. I'd hate to try removing that sight without some kind of good sight vise.

The price might seem high; but when compared to using a gunsmith, it only takes me a couple of times to break even. (my local gun store's smith mangled a revolver of mine doing a sight install; so now I'm a little picky about who works on my guns. The smith I use now does it right; but charges $50).

Offline SoCal

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 01:20:45 PM »
with Dawson aluminum nylon tipped punch

Try the Dawson aluminum punch w/o the nylon tip, the nylon absorbs a lot of the impact.  This is from personal experience.  Also second the use of a little heat.

Good Luck
If I had known how much better being retired is than working I would have done it FIRST.

Offline john seeley

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 01:40:35 PM »
with Dawson aluminum nylon tipped punch

Try the Dawson aluminum punch w/o the nylon tip, the nylon absorbs a lot of the impact.  This is from personal experience.  Also second the use of a little heat.

Good Luck

Thanks. There's not much of a nylon tip left! And the aluminum mushroomed on the hammer side! I'll try it after the heat later tonight. Yesterday I hit it as hard as I could without losing accuracy. Maybe the WD-40 and heat will be enough.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 01:45:13 PM by john seeley »

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 04:02:15 PM »
I've used that same NC Star tool on several pistols.  Mostly CZs.

I did use it on an M&P Shield the other day and succeeded in slightly bending the threaded shaft.  I was using a "custom tool" to twist the rod as the rear sight was so tight I couldn't twist it by hand.  So, maybe, just maybe, I pushed the tool past it's limit, but I got the sight out and the new one installed (amerglo night sights).

I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline john seeley

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 04:15:45 PM »
I've used that same NC Star tool on several pistols.  Mostly CZs.

I did use it on an M&P Shield the other day and succeeded in slightly bending the threaded shaft.  I was using a "custom tool" to twist the rod as the rear sight was so tight I couldn't twist it by hand.  So, maybe, just maybe, I pushed the tool past it's limit, but I got the sight out and the new one installed (amerglo night sights).

Thanks. Like pipe for leverage? Any chance on distorting a CZ 75 slide with that much pressure? Wow. I'm trying it again either tonight or tomorrow with the hammer and will then buy this pusher. Thx.

Offline SoCal

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2021, 04:35:12 PM »
Any chance on distorting a CZ 75 slide with that much pressure?

Just hake sure the slide around the sight is well supported and not hanging past the end of the vise.
If I had known how much better being retired is than working I would have done it FIRST.

Offline john seeley

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2021, 04:45:03 PM »
I'm aware. Thanks. Can you bend/distort a slide using extreme pressure on a sight pusher?

Offline eastman

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 06:04:08 PM »
I don't look like my avatar!