Author Topic: Bench Block Question  (Read 3096 times)

Offline cotignola

Bench Block Question
« on: May 16, 2020, 11:09:32 AM »
Hello,

New guy with new guy questions.  I planning to do some upgrades to my CZ75 SP-01 Tactical such as installing the CGW 54420 Ultra-Lite Kit, grips and maybe other things in the future.  I have been looking at these two bench blocks and I would like to get some feedback: CZ Customs ($47.50) vs. Wheeler Universal ($18.99).

CZ Customs: https://czcustom.com/cz-bench-block.html
Wheeler: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006552422?pid=265720

Question:
1) Will either one work well?
2) Should I spend the extra money on the CZ Customs block?
3) Should I consider anything else?

Please let me know if you have any thoughts and thank you for your time.

Regards,
MAC
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 02:19:57 PM by cotignola »

Offline buddyd157

Re: Bench Block Question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 12:11:19 PM »
you should provide links to each block, so we can see each one.

cuz i ain't about to start searching thru web sites for what you want.

for instance, i got this one at Amazon, after Brownell's screwed up my order a few weeks ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Pridefend-Pistol-Gunsmith-Maintenance-Armorers/dp/B083Q318LD/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2IVDQSYQX5Y55&dchild=1&keywords=gunsmithing+bench+block&qid=1589645442&sprefix=gunsmithing+bench%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-9
Just  getting on thru retirement., and into the sport of shooting, with anyone of my......21 handguns, either semi-automatics, or revolvers

Ron M.

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 12:12:39 PM »
I've found having the brand specific block can help a lot for some tasks. I have a universal, CZ Customs and Beretta bench blocks and use them all. The biggest help is having the right block for the slide and frame you're working on, for example installing a "G" kit on a Beretta 92 or swapping levers on a PX4 is much easier with the Beretta Block. Driving pins out to install trigger parts is easier with holes in the just right places on the CZ Customs block.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 12:43:48 PM »
If you are going to be working on allot of CZs the CZC bench block may be worth it. It has a special cut out for the hammer as well as a cutout for holding the slide. I have one but i work on CZs frequently.

For a single CZ i think any universal bench block will work fine. Even a roll of tape has done the job for many a CZ home gunsmith.

A note on working on CZ decockers. It is all about preparation and patience. Read the guides then read them again. Take your time and do not be a in a hurry to get to the range the next day or week in some cases. Acquire the necessary tools for the job, looks like you are already on top of this one.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 04:16:52 PM by Tok36, Reason: Spelling »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline n8vmdpath

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 01:37:04 PM »
I uses a generic real avid bench block and it worked fine for installation CGW pro package.

Offline CCWLearner

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 02:08:18 PM »
I have a "universal" Real Avid bench block I ordered off of Amazon a few years ago and have used it for most of the work I have done on my pistols and rifles, driving pins in or out.

I more recently got a "universal" Lyman bench block which has a very similar design, but is quite a bit larger, just to have a more stable base for certain things.

The only CZ's I work on are P-07's so the CZ Custom bench block wouldn't help me with that anyway.

Offline cotignola

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 02:38:29 PM »
Thank you all for the feedback.  I updated the bench blocks with the links (sorry about that ... I should have thought about it before). 

I will look into the Real Avid & Lyman!

Offline cotignola

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 02:44:22 PM »
A note on working on CZ decockers. It is all about preparation and patience. Read the guides then read them again. Take your time and do not be a in a hurry to get to the range the next day or week in some cases. Acquire the necessary tools for the job, looks like you are already on top of this one.

Thank you for the feedback.  I have been reading & watching many videos.  I am planning to start small, the Firing Pin Retaining Pin seems to be most difficult task. I am nowhere near to tackle the trigger or the hammer yet :-)

Offline cotignola

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 02:45:02 PM »

Thank you ... my bad!

Offline Gunnerdad80

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 03:02:06 PM »
I don’t remember what brand it is but I have a cheap circular black bench block I bought from Amazon for about $15 and I’ve worked on a P365, CZ75 PreB, just about any CZ “Clone” you could possibly name and got the job done. Even if a less expensive option doesn’t necessarily fit the gun parts you need it to you could always trim and modify it to work. And if you mess it up doing so you can just buy another. Just my thoughts.

Offline buddyd157

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 03:02:35 PM »

Thank you ... my bad!

they both will do the job. personally, i'd go with the universal one, if in the future you are going to get different brands of guns.

if you stay with CZ however as your go to gun with each purchase, then get the CZ specific block.
Just  getting on thru retirement., and into the sport of shooting, with anyone of my......21 handguns, either semi-automatics, or revolvers

Offline eastman

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 06:02:41 PM »
I have both of those. The Wheeler is set up as "universal" which means it has a lot of 1911 specific functions.

The CZ Custom version has a really good CZ specific functions.

I use both on CZs and non-CZs. Either will work.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline jurek

• NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2020, 06:09:49 PM »
Hmmm... looks I'm going to name myself "a lamer"  ;D ;D ;D
I've been using electrical tape as bench block...  :-X

Offline Gunnerdad80

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2020, 06:46:08 PM »
Hmmm... looks I'm going to name myself "a lamer"  ;D ;D ;D
I've been using electrical tape as bench block...  :-X

If it gets the job done then no harm no foul.

Offline jurek

• NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2020, 09:08:03 PM »
If it gets the job done then no harm no foul.

Needed it for firing pin retaining pin and extractor pin only... Yes, it worked perfectly.

anything