Author Topic: Selecting a red dot for my VZ-58  (Read 7715 times)

Offline Bigdude

Selecting a red dot for my VZ-58
« on: October 04, 2018, 01:18:15 AM »
I sold my Aimpoint Micro H-1 2.0 MOA because I want a red dot that is lighter in weight and has a smaller foot print. I need a high-end red dot that is 2.0 MOA or smaller so that leaves me with only a few options. I would prefer the reticle to be 2.0 MOA because it is much closer to the actual accuracy of the VZ-58. Price is not an issue.

Trijicon RMR 1.0 MOA-I own one of these on another rifle and have no complaints. I wish it was made in 2.0 MOA.

Leupold DeltaPoint Pro 2.5 MOA-The reviews on this red dot state it is not very durable. Lots of bad reviews.

Leica Tempus 2.0 MOA-So far this red dot is not in stock anywhere but it would be my first choice.

JPoint Micro-Electronic 1.0 MOA with 65 MOA circle-This red dot has some disadvantages as the adjustments per click are not known nor advertised. Reviews are mixed.

The Trijicon MRO 2.0 MOA and EOTech sights are too big and heavy. What do you suggest?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 04:42:06 AM by Bigdude »

Offline Franz Maurer

• http://youtu.be/dtUdllX5Vpo
    • http://youtu.be/dtUdllX5Vpo
75B .40 ; P-01 ; kadet2 ; '94 witness .45 - slim nose 1of999 ; samopal vz.58 ; tin foil hat.

Offline RSR

Re: Selecting a red dot for my VZ-58
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 02:11:12 PM »
I think Primary Arms microdots are good for the money; I'd put them in same category as holosun.  For fighting weapon, you want an aimpoint micro.

For a rear topcover mount, you can probably do an RMR, but it kills your iron sights. 

Another option that just came back in stock and has a low mount (but not cowitness) and is on sale (believe they've been discontinued by vortex) is the vortex spitfire 1x prism.  Prism means the reticle is etched and black all the time.  Illumination, red or green, can be turned on when needed. 
So it's a really robust option, and also good for those of us with astigmatism or less than perfect eye sight.  But again, you lose access to your irons.  Buying giftcards at less than $ value online (usually 15-20% off) means this scope can be had for $160 plus tax.
https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1783390

Offline MeatAxe

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 07:12:00 PM »
Because the standard Vz58 iron sights are too low for me to comfortably acquire and co-witness with a red dot optic (at least with a straight line butt stock), I eschewed the whole co-witnessing thing and put a Primary Arms 3x Prism 7.62x39 scope on, which is rugged and  good and short so it won't get dinged by ejected shells.

What an awesome scope (and innovative reticle) for a reasonable price! Can ring a target gong like a bell at 300 yards and beyond (of course the Vz58 is pretty bleep accurate in its own right). I need to get more of these!

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-gen-ii-3x-compact-prism-scope-acss-7-62x39-300blk-cqb-reticle-black

Offline Bigdude

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 04:43:36 AM »
I think Primary Arms microdots are good for the money; I'd put them in same category as holosun.  For fighting weapon, you want an aimpoint micro.

For a rear topcover mount, you can probably do an RMR, but it kills your iron sights. 

Another option that just came back in stock and has a low mount (but not cowitness) and is on sale (believe they've been discontinued by vortex) is the vortex spitfire 1x prism.  Prism means the reticle is etched and black all the time.  Illumination, red or green, can be turned on when needed. 
So it's a really robust option, and also good for those of us with astigmatism or less than perfect eye sight.  But again, you lose access to your irons.  Buying giftcards at less than $ value online (usually 15-20% off) means this scope can be had for $160 plus tax.
https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1783390

I had an Aimpoint Micro on my VZ-58 but the footprint is too large and it weighs too much. I am not looking for a bargain red dot and cost is not a consideration. As far as mounting, it will go on the upper hand guard which is a Bonesteel Arms upper.

Offline Bigdude

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 04:12:49 AM »
I went with the Leica Tempus Red dot with 2.0 MOA reticle. I will post pics shortly.

Offline RSR

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 09:15:09 PM »
Let us know your thoughts.  Curious about the cover for that optic -- does it provide any protection?  Also, locate any mounts w/ protective wings?

Offline sboone

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 05:06:27 PM »
Just ordered a scout rear sight mount and plan to throw a Vortex razor reflex dot on it, I'd prefer smaller than a 3 moa dot but I think I can make due with it and throw it on the scorpion if I change my mind. I wanted a small light footprint too hopefully this does it

Offline Bigdude

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 01:19:09 AM »
The Leica Tempus 2.0 Red dot on a Strike Industries REX red dot mount. It is sitting on a Bonesteel Arms upper rail. Currently, I cannot use my irons with this set-up. I own the NEA upper rail but I have not tried it to see if it will sit lower. As you can see, the Leica Tempus comes with a hard plastic cover for protection when in use. Also, the Strike Industries REX mount came with protective wings but I did not use them because I wanted to save weight.

Offline cciman

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 07:17:14 PM »
Most RDS sold in N America are based on AR setups (cheek weld is inline with top of receiver- so RDS optic is mounted high), so your arrangement will take some trial and error.

Similar to AKM's, Your RDS will be determined by your VZ stock angle and the rail mount you use--- the cheekweld level and where eyeball line of sight is located over the top of the receiver, dictates what type RDS platform will work best:

Low cheek weld => low RDS.  High RDS => straight stock, or elevated cheek piece

You want a good quality RDS, since "iron sight co-witness" options are non-existant compared to AR set ups.  There is no perfect solution since these quality optics were designed for AR platforms.

Offline Atomic Punk

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 07:58:48 PM »
I have a similar "scout rifle" set up on 2 of my AK's. The only RDS that would co-witness on the Ultimak picatinny gas tube was the Primary Arms fixed base, MD-07. Unfortunately, I don't think they make removable base models anymore. Everyone wants the modularity of the removable base so they can choose whatever mount they want, but that raises the sight too high to co-witness.

Offline RSR

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 10:40:20 PM »
I have a similar "scout rifle" set up on 2 of my AK's. The only RDS that would co-witness on the Ultimak picatinny gas tube was the Primary Arms fixed base, MD-07. Unfortunately, I don't think they make removable base models anymore. Everyone wants the modularity of the removable base so they can choose whatever mount they want, but that raises the sight too high to co-witness.

Most bushnells are fixed base.  Most of primary arms are removable base.

Offline Bigdude

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 12:00:30 AM »
I just switched my stock adapter to the CSA, which is slightly angled. Now I can actually use my irons. In order to 1/3 co-witness, I am going to have the Leica red dot mounted directly to the upper rail without any kind of mount. That way it will sit lower.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 10:25:23 AM by Bigdude »

Offline Atomic Punk

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 12:15:36 PM »
I just switched my stock adapter to the CSA, which is slightly angled. Now I can actually use my irons. In order to 1/3 co-witness, I am going to have the Leica red dot mounted directly to the upper rail without any kind of mount. That way it will sit lower.

How are you doing that? Are you getting the rail machined for it?

Offline Bigdude

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 12:18:50 PM »

How are you doing that? Are you getting the rail machined for it?

Yes, I sent the rail and red dot to a gunsmith.

anything