Author Topic: Crying Wolf  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Mad_Max

Crying Wolf
« on: November 18, 2018, 01:57:45 AM »
I know this will be an unpopular topic but I have to see if anyone else feels the same way.
It bothers me when the NRA or GOA cry wolf about a bill that has no chance of even getting a vote on the House or Senate floor. I know most of you will say we can't give one single inch to the anti-gunners or they'll take our rights away AND YOU'RE RIGHT.
But I have donated money to the NRA and GOA, wrote various politicians emails, signed petitions against anti gun laws and gone to pro 2ND amendment events.
I don't have the money to donate everytime there might be a new gun bill proposed that will never see the light of day. I also think that if these organizations keep "crying wolf" over every little thing, it will become white noise to the average NRA or GOA member and when a real threat to our rights come up it won't be given the attention it deserves.
I guess what I'm saying is:
I don't have a lot of money to donate or time to dedicate to pro 2nd amendment causes to I want my money/time to be used when it counts.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Crying Wolf
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 05:41:22 AM »
Yes, it's irritating.  But it's how they pay their bills.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 06:58:31 AM »
I don't have the money to donate everytime there might be a new gun bill proposed that will never see the light of day. I also think that if these organizations keep "crying wolf" over every little thing, it will become white noise to the average NRA or GOA member and when a real threat to our rights come up it won't be given the attention it deserves.

This is NOT crying wolf. We need to know what the anti's are up to at every turn and these organizations are all we have at this point. This fight has been going on for eons so the white noise analogy is not likely to happen.
We need to be vigilant in defeating any bill that undermines our rights no matter how weak or doa it may be.
None of us have piles of cash to hand out all the time but we can still be supportive of these organizations by continuing to right letters and make phone calls and be sure our voice is ALWAYS heard.

Offline DNS

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 09:09:29 AM »
I can remember when everyone i worked with and the national news said the 94 semi-auto - assualt weapons ban would never pass. Woke up one day and it was law. Bloomberg gave millions to elect anti-gun house members, and it worked.

Offline Beak Boater

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 11:56:30 AM »
The subject has been discussed several times. To me......they are just letting me know about knew legislation that is being introduced around the country. The fact that the NRA is always looking for donation to fill the account doesn't bother me. I maintain my membership, if I have a few extra dollars to send their way I will. If not I don't feel bothered that they asked.
What other organization is fighting for our 2nd Amendment rights?
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 03:34:54 PM »
if you don't have money to donate to everything say no when you are asked.
If you are irritated because you are asked every time there is reason to ask (or in your opinion not really a reason) then never give.
There are people who will give but need to be asked because they are passionate about a cause but do not have the time or resource to keep current on issues dear to them, so they actually appreciate being asked.
your last statement is a very disturbing oxymoron to me
you say you have neither extra or excess time nor money nor money for pro 2nd amendment cause
Yet you want your time and money used for what counts...?

you are the master of your time and money, if you are offended or maybe even embarrassed when people ask you for either time or $$$$ and you won't give, that's really on you, not on those who ask.....unless you have told them to stop asking. If you asked have them to stop asking you then I get it. If not however they ask you because what they are asking is something that counts to them dearly, and if as far as you are concerned it doesn't count, tell them that, they will stop.

RCG 
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 03:38:12 PM »

This is NOT crying wolf. We need to know what the anti's are up to at every turn and these organizations are all we have at this point. This fight has been going on for eons so the white noise analogy is not likely to happen.
We need to be vigilant in defeating any bill that undermines our rights no matter how weak or doa it may be.
None of us have piles of cash to hand out all the time but we can still be supportive of these organizations by continuing to right letters and make phone calls and be sure our voice is ALWAYS heard.

Very true words!!!!!!

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline dragon813gt

Crying Wolf
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 11:06:54 PM »

The Second Amendment Foundation, Gun Owners of America and countless local organizations.  The NRA is the proverbial 800 pound gorilla who gets all the media attention.  But they aren?t the only group.  Recently I?d say the SAF has done more good.  Support every pro second amendment organization you can.  Especially ones at the state level because they?re the first line of defense and they need financial support more than the three big organizations.

You can avoid almost all of the NRA mailings and emails by changing your profile settings.  I may receive a notice from them asking for money once a quarter.  But I always receive emails about upcoming legislation at the state and federal level. 

The NRA pales in comparison to the GOA.  I honestly hate their tactics.  But I ignore the doom and gloom newsletters and emails.  I send them money when I can.  They?d probably get more from me if they changed the way they word everything.  I end up sending more money to the SAF because of it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 11:12:08 PM by dragon813gt »

Offline Mad_Max

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 03:57:54 AM »
The NRA pales in comparison to the GOA.  I honestly hate their tactics.  But I ignore the doom and gloom newsletters and emails.  I send them money when I can.  They?d probably get more from me if they changed the way they word everything.  I end up sending more money to the SAF because of it.

Yes! This guy gets it! I am a member of the GOA and I think they are much more effective and focused on reachable goals in the fight for our 2nd Amendment rights. That's all I'm saying, we need to make the NRA more like the GOA. People get so upset at any criticism of the NRA, but I'm only interested in making it a better, stronger organization.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 07:03:06 AM »

Yes! This guy gets it! I am a member of the GOA and I think they are much more effective and focused on reachable goals in the fight for our 2nd Amendment rights. That's all I'm saying, we need to make the NRA more like the GOA. People get so upset at any criticism of the NRA, but I'm only interested in making it a better, stronger organization.
Actually this is a completely different opinion than you floated in your opening post and you lumped the NRA and GOA together.
People get upset over denigrating any organization that's fighting for our rights because we are passionate about those rights. Yes some tactics can be bothersome but look at the propaganda the anti's use to influence their people. They paint we who own guns as a bunch of bloodthirsty mentally defective storm troopers and that's where we should always focus our attention.

Offline Mad_Max

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 07:39:55 AM »
You don't want to fix the NRA? Fine. Let them keep compromising with the anti-gun politicians on the left and the ATF. In 20 years when we're left with cap and ball revolvers and muzzle loading rifles, I'll be the one saying "I told you so". Wayne LaPierre will still be rich and we'll still be getting mail that says: "the sky is falling" or "donate now or lose our gun rights".
I'm done with this thread.

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 09:31:57 AM »
You don't want to fix the NRA? Fine. Let them keep compromising with the anti-gun politicians on the left and the ATF. In 20 years when we're left with cap and ball revolvers and muzzle loading rifles, I'll be the one saying "I told you so". Wayne LaPierre will still be rich and we'll still be getting mail that says: "the sky is falling" or "donate now or lose our gun rights".
I'm done with this thread.

Speaking of 'crying wolf'.

We're all done with this thread.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.