Author Topic: Mags drop / don't drop  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Jmoser

Mags drop / don't drop
« on: December 28, 2018, 03:08:54 PM »
So 6 18 rd factory mags - 1 jumps out freely all the way and the rest need a gentle pull to remove.
Assume this is just a ~.002" tolerance in the mag body preventing it from depressing the leaf spring mag tensioner - is it normal to have variation in mags dropping free or not?
None of 4 Mec-gars fall out either.

Offline Tok36

Re: Mags drop / don't drop
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 04:07:56 PM »
If it is a CZ75 variant, i would pull the grips and see if it still happens.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Practical Shooter

• Legio Patria Nostra
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 05:04:16 PM »
Could you tell us more about your gun and magazines?

Offline Jmoser

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 08:18:47 AM »
Sorry folks - new SP-01 with OEM 18 rd mags.  2 came with gun, 4 bought spare.  The one mag that drops clean came with the gun.    4 MecGars all brand new, 2 18 rd and 2 10 rd.

The mags that don't fall clean out do pop down 1/8" or so before hanging up.

Will test grips off and with less tension on grip screws, good thinking.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 08:33:39 AM »
The MecGar 18rnd mags are actually 17 or 19 depending on the base plate. Easy to tell because they have a different finish. Those are actually a little fatter than the OEM mags and cause this issue frequently depending on the particular gun. I would suggest this part, I put it in all of my 75's. Makes hammer spring changes easier too.
https://cajungunworks.com/product/24-mag-guide-full-size-hvy-duty-competition/

• Legio Patria Nostra
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 10:15:51 AM »
I performed some quick measurements on 3 different magazines.

1 OEM, 1 Canik and 1 Mec-gar. They all measured the same  ---
Side to side : 0.800   (+/- 0.002)   Front to back : 1.252    (+/- 0.002)

Finishes are different, so that could be the issue.
If it remains a problem, an option is to simply remove the "Magazine Guide" all together.
It won't affect the insertion or ejection of your magazines, and won't bring unwanted dirt onto the Main spring (urban myth).
The original use of a "Magazine Guide" was to stop the magazine ejection during an inadvertent press of the magazine release, and gives the shooter the possibility to reinsert the magazine, specifically for law enforcement and military.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 06:33:27 PM »

If it remains a problem, an option is to simply remove the "Magazine Guide" all together.
It won't affect the insertion or ejection of your magazines, and won't bring unwanted dirt onto the Main spring (urban myth).
The original use of a "Magazine Guide" was to stop the magazine ejection during an inadvertent press of the magazine release, and gives the shooter the possibility to reinsert the magazine, specifically for law enforcement and military.
Did you measure a MecGar 17rd mag? Even if you did, your sample size is too small. The issues with these are well documented.

Offline Chuck James

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 11:52:55 PM »
The MecGar 18rnd mags are actually 17 or 19 depending on the base plate. Easy to tell because they have a different finish. Those are actually a little fatter than the OEM mags and cause this issue frequently depending on the particular gun. I would suggest this part, I put it in all of my 75's. Makes hammer spring changes easier too.

What is the purpose and/or gain for upgrading to this part?

Offline scroadkill

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 06:11:43 AM »
hmm.. i had similar issue w/ mecgars.. could be mag release spring needs to be bent, and/or grip panels are making contact with mags. mecgars are a hair larger than stock. I also polish the mags where ever they show signed of wear near the mag release hole.

Offline Jmoser

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 08:09:56 AM »
I had wondered about removing the magazine leaf spring - might give it a try.

Also reminded me of the old school revolver mods where the leaf mainspring on S&Ws was ground into an hourglass profile for lighter force.  Could be an interesting experiment if I can pick up a spare CZ mag spring.

• Legio Patria Nostra
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 09:54:00 AM »

Did you measure a MecGar 17rd mag? Even if you did, your sample size is too small. The issues with these are well documented.

I must apologize to you for not having 20 magazines of each on hand for a more detail dimension sample.
But I am humoring you, and went to measure all of my 4 Mec-gar magazines. All 16rd (I don't see why there would be dimensions differences between 17rd and others), anyway, they all ended up measuring the same, 0.800 and 1.252.
I even loaded them and measured them again, and the width at the cut out for the magazine release increased by 0.005 from all original dimensions. So there is some metal deformation in that area, but it is side to side only, not front to back.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 09:59:32 AM »

I must apologize to you for not having 20 magazines of each on hand for a more detail dimension sample.
But I am humoring you, and went to measure all of my 4 Mec-gar magazines. All 16rd (I don't see why there would be dimensions differences between 17rd and others), anyway, they all ended up measuring the same, 0.800 and 1.252.
I even loaded them and measured them again, and the width at the cut out for the magazine release increased by 0.005 from all original dimensions. So there is some metal deformation in that area, but it is side to side only, not front to back.
Humoring me? I don't need you to measure. The 16rd magazines are fine, no need to measure them. The 17rd mags are indeed different, I assure you.
*Edited because my tone was rude. Sorry.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 11:04:14 AM by Earl Keese »

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2018, 10:26:17 AM »

The purpose of this part is to prevent this from happening:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fczfirearms%2Eus%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D67390%2E0&share_tid=67390&share_fid=23595&share_type=t

I have them in all my guns now.

Cheers,
Toby

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This forum rocks!

Offline Chuck James

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2018, 11:29:30 AM »

The purpose of this part is to prevent this from happening:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fczfirearms%2Eus%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D67390%2E0&share_tid=67390&share_fid=23595&share_type=t

I have them in all my guns now.

Cheers,
Toby

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thank You Sir!!!!!

• Legio Patria Nostra
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2018, 01:28:56 PM »

Humoring me? I don't need you to measure. The 16rd magazines are fine, no need to measure them. The 17rd mags are indeed different, I assure you.
*Edited because my tone was rude. Sorry.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

We are good Earl. I certainly enjoy learning from your experience.

anything