Author Topic: Mags rattle but only when loaded  (Read 1269 times)

Offline anonymouscuban

Mags rattle but only when loaded
« on: January 03, 2019, 12:35:04 AM »
I have 8 CZ compact mags. 10 rounders. They all rattle when loaded. No rattle when empty. Drives me nuts because they rattle in my P-01 and PCR when I walk sometimes.

Anyone know how to keep them from rattling?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Tok36

Re: Mags rattle but only when loaded
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 12:46:50 AM »
This seems to be quite common. One option is to tap the front of the mag body on something and seat the rounds forward in the magazine.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline seebee62

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 01:30:04 AM »
I have P07 mags 15 rounders and 15 plus 2 rounders and they rattle also.

Doesn?t bother me or rattle when I walk but it seems if I take the top round out and put it back in the rattle stops or push down on the top round and the rattle stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 04:48:35 AM »
Yep this seems to be the nature of the beast with some mags. I have some that rattle and some that are perfectly quite. No ill effect on function just the annoying rattle.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 01:50:10 PM »
Auto wax on the inside of the mag keeps the spring  from hanging up on the sides and leaving lose rounds to rattle.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline CzechnoWizard

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 09:39:41 PM »
This seems to be quite common. One option is to tap the front of the mag body on something and seat the rounds forward in the magazine.
As usual, Tok is correct. Hold the mag near the bottom between thumb and forefinger. Slap it into the palm of your other hand. Rounds will settle and spread to fill the mag. No more rattle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline john seeley

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 10:33:37 PM »
That's what I do as well. After you load them, just slap them into your palm or on a soft surface. I slap them to the back so the backs of the rounds are flush. I guess slapping them to the front will work as well.

I also noticed that the mag springs gave varying tensions depending on how many rounds are left in the mag and I don't mean generally from strong to weak as mags are removed. I noticed this when loading new mags to work-in the springs and when I removed the rounds with my thumb, the spring tension changes from round to round. Strong to weak, back to strong, etc. I guess that's normal as well?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:18:52 PM by john seeley »

Offline CzechnoWizard

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 03:43:28 PM »
I don't think the spring tension changes, but rather rounds are binding in the mag. You remove one and somewhere below there is a bind either in the follower or a round rubbing the Inside of the mag. As the column rises, the bind resolves and you feel increased pressure on the top round. If there's a regular pattern of tension going up and down, I would suspect the follower. As the rounds stagger left right they put alternating side loads on the column. If its always a specfic round, say 7th round coming out, I would look for a narrow spot In the the mag tube

Offline john seeley

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 03:57:23 PM »
Thanks for the explanation. I first noticed this on my new 14rd mec-gar mags. I thought something was wrong with them until I noticed the same thing with fairly new factory mags. And I noticed it again on my new 10RD mags. (as you slide the rounds out with the thumb, the pressure feels sporadic) Not that there's anything wrong, but do you think a light coat of oil inside the mag body or even on the springs would hurt?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 04:06:33 PM by john seeley »

Offline CzechnoWizard

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 04:08:34 PM »
No oil. It attracts dust and lint. Some oils get sticky over time.  I would disassemble any new mag and degrease the spring  and Inside of the tube. Most seem to have excessive and sometimes sticky oil inside. If you need lube, wax or drylube would be my choice. Mec-gar has their "afc" mags that are coated in a teflon-like material. I like them

Offline john seeley

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 04:26:56 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Offline john seeley

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 12:45:30 PM »
I tried the carnuba wax on the outside and inside of the mags including the springs and the sides of the follower. It definitely feels smoother as rounds are inserted. But it makes no difference in the spring tension at specific rounds. Here's what I notice with my 10rd mags as I remove each round with my thumb:  The first one is medium tension and then soft. The 3rd rd out is very soft, then the spring tension gets progressively firmer to the end. I get the same thing with all of my mags: cz and mec-gar and all are fairly new if not brand new. I guess, as long as there's no feed issues, it's a non-issue.

Sorry... I kind of hijacked this thread into a different subject.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 01:21:59 PM by john seeley »