Author Topic: Disappointing Day at Range  (Read 5562 times)

Offline dsierra

• Those who can make you believe absurdities can mak
Disappointing Day at Range
« on: January 09, 2019, 03:24:52 PM »
Pretty disappointed.  Was all fired up about shooting the RAMI for the first time.  Went through three magazines and was barely hitting the target...groups were left and low.  I was really freaking out.  Have never shot that poorly.   Then, I noticed it.  The rear sight had become loose and shifted left.  I borrowed an allen and snugged it up but only had a little ammo left except for that in my Hi Power mags.  I got off 4 or 5 rounds and the sight loosened again.  Disgusted and not wanting to borrow the allen again, I gave up. 

Better luck next time...I hope.

Meanwhile, as usual, I was dead on with the HI Power. 
CZ 85 Combat
CZ 75 Compact
CZ RAMI BD
BROWING HI POWER
FN HI POWER
FM HI POWER
BABY BROWNING
Sig P230SL
Sig P230 .32
Sig 232 Tu Tone
Polish P-64 (9x18)
S&W Model 15
Seecamps (.25 & .32)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.  -Voltaire

Offline mecenas

Re: Disappointing Day at Range
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 03:52:34 PM »
Don't get discouraged. It happened to me too,
Always have an Allan wrench with you. Set the rear sight to your liking. Tighten it. Go home, Mark your rear sight position, take the set screw out and put some blue locktite on the screw and retightnen. It should not come loose again

Offline dsierra

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 04:08:40 PM »
mecenas, thanks for the encouragement.  I was sorta depressed.  Never crossed my mind that sight might come loose.  Will definitely have Allen wrench in bag from now on and will go the loctite route this evening or tomorrow.  The few shots I got off after tightening were dead on with sight in factory (detent) position.  So, I'll start from there.  Thanks again for the encouragement.

Probably be a week before I get back to the range.  Will provide update when I do. 
CZ 85 Combat
CZ 75 Compact
CZ RAMI BD
BROWING HI POWER
FN HI POWER
FM HI POWER
BABY BROWNING
Sig P230SL
Sig P230 .32
Sig 232 Tu Tone
Polish P-64 (9x18)
S&W Model 15
Seecamps (.25 & .32)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.  -Voltaire

Offline frogwalking

• Retired Engineer, Viet. Vet., (one of the 4%)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 10:47:25 PM »
Lock-tight the sight setscrew.  Also, check the grip screws regularly, and/or buy some extras.  (don't lock-tight)  Ask me how I know this  (After teething, Rami shoots great and is 100% reliable.

Offline Psyop96

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 04:23:51 AM »
The outer dimensions of the screw sleeves on the RAMI are more oval like with slight corners than circular. Make sure they line up with and sort of fit into the similar shaped hole in the grip so they don?t shift or loosen while firing. I place a finger on the sleeve from inside the mag well to hold the sleeve in place while tightening the screw.

Offline lewmed

• 135th & 240th AHC Vietnam 1967-1968
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 07:08:33 PM »
 My rear sight did the same thing I ended up removing the sight and drilling it and taped for it for a larger dia. set screw it's now locked in place.

Offline MeatAxe

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 01:00:10 AM »
Pretty disappointed.  Was all fired up about shooting the RAMI for the first time.  Went through three magazines and was barely hitting the target...groups were left and low.  I was really freaking out.  Have never shot that poorly.   Then, I noticed it.  The rear sight had become loose and shifted left.  I borrowed an allen and snugged it up but only had a little ammo left except for that in my Hi Power mags.  I got off 4 or 5 rounds and the sight loosened again.  Disgusted and not wanting to borrow the allen again, I gave up. 

Better luck next time...I hope.

Meanwhile, as usual, I was dead on with the HI Power.

Can you determine if the slide dovetail or the rear sight is out of spec?

https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/front-and-rear-sights/cz-rear-sights-all.html
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 12:22:24 PM by MeatAxe »

Offline dsierra

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 09:54:10 AM »
No.  I guess I could take it to a gunsmith and have the dimensions checked.  For now, I?ll ASSume that they are OK and loctite the set screw.  Any further trouble and I will investigate further.  The few rounds that I did get off between tightening the sight seemed to indicate proper alignment.

Took a 2nd look at the rear sight and it moves freely with the set screw loosened.  I mean no resistance at all really.  Just slides right off the slide and goes back on with little effort.  Should it fit that loosely in the dovetail? 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 10:11:32 AM by dsierra »
CZ 85 Combat
CZ 75 Compact
CZ RAMI BD
BROWING HI POWER
FN HI POWER
FM HI POWER
BABY BROWNING
Sig P230SL
Sig P230 .32
Sig 232 Tu Tone
Polish P-64 (9x18)
S&W Model 15
Seecamps (.25 & .32)

Offline MeatAxe

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 12:19:12 PM »
No.  I guess I could take it to a gunsmith and have the dimensions checked.  For now, I?ll ASSume that they are OK and loctite the set screw.  Any further trouble and I will investigate further.  The few rounds that I did get off between tightening the sight seemed to indicate proper alignment.

Took a 2nd look at the rear sight and it moves freely with the set screw loosened.  I mean no resistance at all really.  Just slides right off the slide and goes back on with little effort.  Should it fit that loosely in the dovetail?

No, there should be significant resistance that would require a sight pusher tool or tapping with a hammer and dowel to move the sight. The set screw is just there for extra security. I would send the pistol back to CZ for repairs or replacement of out of spec parts.

Offline mecenas

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 12:23:54 PM »
My rear sight also moves, although it does not look like it is loose. I have a CZ Custom rear sight - not the true OEM sight, so it means that it is designed that way. I think that putting locktite on the set screw and, in addition to the left and right side of the sight itself will fix the problem. Once the set screw is set with the locktite, it should never come out by itself, and if it is tighten, there should be no movement of the sight at all.
I would do nothing else for now. Just enjoy the gun and remember always check the sights before any shooting - I do that with all firearms I have. It solves that very unpleasant feeling when you shoot and the target is completely blank.........

Offline dsierra

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 01:02:49 PM »
OK MeatAxe thanks for the advice.   I  contacted CZ-USA and the rep said that the sight needed to be friction tight and that I should send it in.  I filled out the Warranty Request form.  What happens next?  Will I send just the gun or the case and all? 

Thinking about it, if the dovetail was milled too large, then I would think the gun would have to be replaced as I can't see how that can be repaired. 

« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 05:30:06 PM by dsierra »
CZ 85 Combat
CZ 75 Compact
CZ RAMI BD
BROWING HI POWER
FN HI POWER
FM HI POWER
BABY BROWNING
Sig P230SL
Sig P230 .32
Sig 232 Tu Tone
Polish P-64 (9x18)
S&W Model 15
Seecamps (.25 & .32)

Offline dsierra

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 07:07:58 PM »
Well, just got a FedEx mailing lab to return just the slide.  Guess, I'll send the entire slide assembly since they didn't specify.  In any event, CZ rep confirmed that the rear sight should be friction fitted rather than loose as a goose in the dovetail and they sent return label promptly.  Can't imagine how they can remedy the over milled dovetail but then again, I know little about that sort of thing.  Will update when there's progress to report.
CZ 85 Combat
CZ 75 Compact
CZ RAMI BD
BROWING HI POWER
FN HI POWER
FM HI POWER
BABY BROWNING
Sig P230SL
Sig P230 .32
Sig 232 Tu Tone
Polish P-64 (9x18)
S&W Model 15
Seecamps (.25 & .32)

Offline lewmed

• 135th & 240th AHC Vietnam 1967-1968
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 01:26:23 PM »
 My guess is that your dovetail is fine and the rear sight base is undersize no big deal most of the time they are over size and must be driven in place.

Offline mecenas

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 02:08:40 PM »
At worst, they will replace the slide. No one at the factory is going to fool around with the dovetail alone. No time for that. It is simpler to replace the slide and since it does not have a serial number it does not have to go through registration at FFL

Offline dsierra

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 02:23:52 PM »
Well, if they replace the slide, I will have a mismatched gun as there is a serial number on the slide.  Not a great outcome, considering that I bought the gun 9 days ago.  If given an option, I would rather have the old slide back or a replacement gun.  Guess, I?m at the mercy of CZ USA.
CZ 85 Combat
CZ 75 Compact
CZ RAMI BD
BROWING HI POWER
FN HI POWER
FM HI POWER
BABY BROWNING
Sig P230SL
Sig P230 .32
Sig 232 Tu Tone
Polish P-64 (9x18)
S&W Model 15
Seecamps (.25 & .32)

anything