Author Topic: Cheap ,easy peep sight  (Read 1695 times)

Offline mike28w

Cheap ,easy peep sight
« on: January 17, 2019, 02:23:02 PM »
Hi guys,
  I rarely post but do follow.....   I have a VZ2008  , that I have had for about 5 years.  Great gun.  A few years back , I decided that I really wanted a peep sight...I'm very fond of peeps.   IMO, a peep should be mounted as close to the shooter as possible.

After pondering this,  I simply bought an "aperture stem" and locknut from  Skinner sights.  I took it to my gunsmith and asked him to drill out the top rivet  that holds the steel block that holds the recoil spring and firing pin in place.  i had the gunsmith  drill out the top rivet  and tap the steel block for the same threads as the peep sight.   I installed it, sighted it in and have used it for the last 3 or 4 years....no problem.

Cost....Skinner Peep ~ $20   +  labor ~ $35.....done  and move on.....     I've been surprised that others seem so intent on spending so much more money on getting a peep.

Best,  mike

Offline RSR

Re: Cheap ,easy peep sight
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 08:14:10 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  Pics please.

Offline mike28w

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 01:25:46 AM »
Thanks for sharing.  Pics please.

Sorry...the wife can't figure out how to send pics....   And I know that I can't do it.

Offline RSR

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 09:21:38 PM »
tinypic.com is very easy to use for single photos.  It'll give you a URL to your photo after uploading.  On resize, choose the "message board option." 
When writing a message here, you click the photo icon/button directly under the "B", for bold, icon/button, and then enter/paste the URL that tinypic gave you there.

Alternatively, feel free send me a private message if you're willing to share, and I'll shoot you my email where you can send attached photo(s) that I'd be happy to post.  Very intrigued! 

Heck, this might be a service that forcedmarch or other forum gunsmith can offer as part of standard upgrades.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 09:30:26 PM by RSR »

Offline TJNewton

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 02:06:46 AM »
By "steel block", are you talking about the dust cover?  I can visualize the recoil spring, but not how it interacts with the firing pin.  By "firing pin", do you mean the recoil spring guide?  Please clarify. 

By mentioning a rivet, it sounds as though you're referring to the dust cover.  If so, the dust cover has significant forward, up and down, and sideways play.  Have confirmed the peep sight holding zero?

I'd also love to see pics as they would explain everything.

Thanks.

Offline mike28w

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 07:36:34 PM »
By "steel block", are you talking about the dust cover?  I can visualize the recoil spring, but not how it interacts with the firing pin.  By "firing pin", do you mean the recoil spring guide?  Please clarify. 

By mentioning a rivet, it sounds as though you're referring to the dust cover.  If so, the dust cover has significant forward, up and down, and sideways play.  Have confirmed the peep sight holding zero?

Thanks.
[/quote"

Sorry about the poor description.....    I'll try again:    Under the rear of the dust cover,  is a steel, triangular block that  attaches to the rear end of the recoil spring and the striker  spring.   This steel block is held in place  ( inside of the dust cover) by 3 rivets.  Two of these rivets are on the back of the dust cover and there is a third rivet on the top of the dust cover.. You can easily see these rivets from the outside of the gun.  They are very close to the takedown pin for the dust cover.  The top rivet is the one that I had removed  and  had the gunsmith thread.  This is where my peep sight sits.

As far as the sight holding zero....my dust cover does not seem particularly loose.   I  am using my peep sight as a "ghost sight"  , I suppose .  I have removed the small ( and admittedly more accurate aperture  and have a larger aperture to look through.   Most of my shooting has been at 75   yards or less  and I haven't noticed any change of zero.  Ymmv, of course.

I hope this helps...   I am such a computer idiot that I'm not likely to ever get photos posted.  I'm happy to answer any questions, though....mike

PS:  I have no idea why my note seems be part of your quote....   I suppose this is just "progress"   :-\
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 07:41:07 PM by mike28w »

Offline TJNewton

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 09:23:27 PM »

Thanks.
[/quote"

Sorry about the poor description.....    I'll try again:    Under the rear of the dust cover,  is a steel, triangular block that  attaches to the rear end of the recoil spring and the striker  spring.   This steel block is held in place  ( inside of the dust cover) by 3 rivets.  Two of these rivets are on the back of the dust cover and there is a third rivet on the top of the dust cover.. You can easily see these rivets from the outside of the gun.  They are very close to the takedown pin for the dust cover.  The top rivet is the one that I had removed  and  had the gunsmith thread.  This is where my peep sight sits.

As far as the sight holding zero....my dust cover does not seem particularly loose.   I  am using my peep sight as a "ghost sight"  , I suppose .  I have removed the small ( and admittedly more accurate aperture  and have a larger aperture to look through.   Most of my shooting has been at 75   yards or less  and I haven't noticed any change of zero.  Ymmv, of course.

I hope this helps...   I am such a computer idiot that I'm not likely to ever get photos posted.  I'm happy to answer any questions, though....mike

PS:  I have no idea why my note seems be part of your quote....   I suppose this is just "progress"   :-\

Thanks for the clarifications.  It makes sense.  I'd hesitate to use that spot as the dust cover, at least on mine, moves quite a bit.  By quite a bit, even a little wiggle magnifies tremendously the further out you go.  I tried of the dust cover scope mounts for my SKS with a 2-7 scope.  I fitted it so that it was very tight with no play.  After about 50 rounds, however, the hammering of the recoil spring had loosened the dust cover to the point of factory play, which is about the same amount play as a VZ58 dust cover.  At 50 yards, the groups widened considerably after being loosened up.  I think you did well by changing to a bigger, ghost ring sight.  At 75 yards and under, it's sure to work, probably as well as most red dots.

Those Skinner sights are real nice.  Simple and robust.  I have a similar one on my Ruger 77/357.  I like it a lot.

Thanks again!

Offline mike28w

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 11:02:16 PM »
  I'm glad that I finally made sense  !     I would agree that this set-up would be less than ideal with a scope , but for me....plinking away at short to medium range with Silver Bear ammo..." It's good enough for who it's for ! "   ;D ;D

anything