Author Topic: Proper Reduced Power Firing Spring - P-07?  (Read 1399 times)

Offline Hammer Time

Proper Reduced Power Firing Spring - P-07?
« on: February 10, 2019, 04:13:40 PM »
I went back through the last 5 pages of this sub-forum and didn't see this question posed, so here it goes:

I've ordered a #15 hammer spring for my P-07. The product description says, "Must be used with our Reduced Power Firing Pin Spring (with a direct link to the recommended RP-FPS)" So I included that in my order as well.

After placing the order, I went back and took a closer look at the description for the RP-FPS, and it clearly says, "For use in the Shadow series and 85 metal framed series only."

If I go back and search all parts by model (P-07) I only see one firing pin spring listed (97041 Firing Pin Spring). However, it says that this is for use on CGW's extended firing pin spring. Given that I'm only dropping to a #15 hammer spring, I wasn't planning on installing the extended firing pin as well. From everything I've read so far, this doesn't require the extended firing pin.

So, according to CGW's website, I've ordered the wrong reduced power firing pin spring, even though it says it's the one I "must" use. But nor do I see another option in their listing of P-07 parts. Anybody know what the deal is on this? And do I even need a reduced firing pin spring for dropping to a #15 hammer spring at all?

sidenote - I did send this question to CGW a couple days ago as well, but haven't heard back yet. In fairness, it's the weekend, so I'm not too surprised I haven't heard back from them yet, but I figured I'd tap into the brain trust here regardless...

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 04:55:10 PM by Hammer Time »

Offline @mindset_1st

Re: Proper Reduced Power Firing Spring - P-07?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 06:43:01 AM »
I went back through the last 5 pages of this sub-forum and didn't see this question posed, so here it goes:

I've ordered a #15 hammer spring for my P-07. The product description says, "Must be used with our Reduced Power Firing Pin Spring (with a direct link to the recommended RP-FPS)" So I included that in my order as well.

After placing the order, I went back and took a closer look at the description for the RP-FPS, and it clearly says, "For use in the Shadow series and 85 metal framed series only."

If I go back and search all parts by model (P-07) I only see one firing pin spring listed (97041 Firing Pin Spring). However, it says that this is for use on CGW's extended firing pin spring. Given that I'm only dropping to a #15 hammer spring, I wasn't planning on installing the extended firing pin as well. From everything I've read so far, this doesn't require the extended firing pin.

So, according to CGW's website, I've ordered the wrong reduced power firing pin spring, even though it says it's the one I "must" use. But nor do I see another option in their listing of P-07 parts. Anybody know what the deal is on this? And do I even need a reduced firing pin spring for dropping to a #15 hammer spring at all?

sidenote - I did send this question to CGW a couple days ago as well, but haven't heard back yet. In fairness, it's the weekend, so I'm not too surprised I haven't heard back from them yet, but I figured I'd tap into the brain trust here regardless...

You bought the correct part to use with your stock firing pin.#15 will work with this combo. If you do have issues then get the extended firing pin

Offline schmeky

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 08:16:58 AM »
97041 is correct. 

To simplify the search on our website, you should shop by model; subsequently, everything listed within your model will work. 

If you order outside of the recommendations in your specific model number, it will not work as intended.  RP-FPS is not listed in the P-07 model parts search.

Offline Hammer Time

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 08:56:55 AM »
97041 is correct. 

To simplify the search on our website, you should shop by model; subsequently, everything listed within your model will work. 

If you order outside of the recommendations in your specific model number, it will not work as intended.  RP-FPS is not listed in the P-07 model parts search.

Thanks, Schmecky. I normally do shop by model on the CGW site, which is how I found the #15 hammer spring for the P-07. And then I didn't just land on the  RP-FPS page randomly - it's the firing pin spring that is recommended and linked on the product page for the #15 hammer spring for the P-07. If that's not correct then it seems like the product description should probably be updated. I also contacted CGW with this question several days before my order shipped, and it shipped with the wrong part anyway...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 09:33:09 AM by Hammer Time »

Offline Hammer Time

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 06:36:26 PM »
Follow up -

Installed the #15 hammer spring, reduced firing pin spring (97041), reduced trigger spring, de-tensioned the trigger bar return spring, polished the internals, and wow, what a difference. Much, much smoother throughout the pull in both DA and SA mode, and I'm getting about 8-1/2lbs DA and exactly 3lbs SA.

Followed this up with a bunch of dry fire practice and this P-07 has been taken to the next level. I have a few Sigs with 'fancy' triggers and I was alternating between them and P-07 and honestly, there wasn't much of a noticeable difference at all.

anything