Author Topic: CZ P-01 with an out of spec Picatinny rail/1913 rail?  (Read 195 times)

Offline SouperMan

CZ P-01 with an out of spec Picatinny rail/1913 rail?
« on: February 10, 2019, 11:58:15 PM »
I picked up a new CZ P-01 with a late 2018 production date (based on the target sheet provided in the box), and for giggles and laughs I put on my Streamlight TLR-1S that was on my SP-01 with the 1913 cross notch key, and the P-01 would not accept the TLR-1S, the 1913 cross notch key would not physically fit in the P-01's cross notch hole.

It seems that the cross notch is out of spec, as it it will accept the Glock key but with a little bit of movement forward/back movement that is prevented with friction from the rail.

I can live with this issue, as I don't intend using a light on the P-01, but is there significant harm if I were to continue to use the Glock cross notch key? I don't think I would want to file the cross notch to make it into spec either (as it would strip the poly coat) but I guess I could file the Streamlight's cross notch key, but that would make the light specific to the gun.

Offline mountainrider

• The Catasstrophy; so many contenders!
Re: CZ P-01 with an out of spec Picatinny rail/1913 rail?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 09:16:40 AM »
My tlr1 fits my P-01s rail like it's supposed to. 2018 omega variety.

Like you, I only fitted it out of curiosity and have no intention of making it a habitat for the streamlight.
Although I once owned a couple, I don't really have a SIGnature.

Offline anon1234

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 03:01:24 PM »
I have a P-01 with a Fall, 2018 production date with the exact same problem.

Tried to mount TLR-7, the plastic rail adapter labeled 1913 suggested by the light mfr. would not drop into the slot on the pistol, the slot was too narrow / plastic part too wide. The plastic adapter labeled for Glock was clearly way too narrow for the slot and a sloppy fit.

I ended up just touching the injection molded 1913 plastic adapter with a piece of sandpaper to remove a fraction of a millimeter, after which it worked perfectly.

It's my only firearm, so I have no way of knowing whether the CZ or the plastic adapter that came with the light was the out of spec part.

Offline badwrench

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 04:18:51 PM »
Just tried this myself.Took a TLR-1 off a G17 that's doing nightstand duty and put it on my P01, made in 2018..it fit just fine, bar went into the notch, and when I tightened it down, it locked up solidly, also tried a Olight mini, it too popped right on, and off, and locked up tight.  Seeing how the P01's frame is a forging and not a casting, I'm guessing it's a problem with the light. No problems on my example, anyway..

Offline SouperMan

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 09:42:53 PM »
Thanks guys for the responses! I suspect what happened was that the P-01 already had a tight crossbar notch, and the polycoat we all know and love pushed it right over the edge.

I finally found my underused calipers and lo and behold the batteries died just as I turned it on, and had to read the graduation marks.  I measured the slot, and it was a hair under 5mm. I measured the keys and they were a hair over 5mm.

A quick Wiki search says that the notch at spec is “0.206 in (5.23 mm).”

As I said, I don’t think I’ll ever use the rail but I might get another 1913 cross notch key and sand it down just enough to get it to fit if I ever need a light to use.

Offline TripppleP

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 10:20:30 PM »
I love when I have to break out the calipers. 

anything