Author Topic: NRA in trouble?  (Read 4738 times)

Offline Tenbones

NRA in trouble?
« on: April 25, 2019, 03:38:41 PM »
I found this article by Jeff Knox disturbing in that I was unaware the NRA was having these serious internal problems.  Even though I am not a big fan of the NRA, for many of the same reasons listed in the article, this potential meltdown would be a serious blow to the preservation of the 2nd amendment.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/04/nras-future-only-two-options-can-the-bod-save-us/#axzz5m8ZNSso0

Ron M.

Re: NRA in trouble?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 07:05:27 PM »
Until Wayne LaPierre is fired and all of his shady deals and sleazy acts made public, by the board, I will NEVER be a member of the NRA.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 07:21:25 PM »
The only reason I've been renewing is that it's required by my rifle club. I'm changing clubs this year, so no renewal. Bunch of thieves just like the rest of the swamp.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 12:48:37 AM »
In the words of Mikial in replies:

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/04/nras-future-only-two-options-can-the-bod-save-us/#ixzz5mApi4L6z
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

I have never abandoned the NRA, nor will I. But, having said that it is time we clean our own house and get the organization back on track as was originally intended. The NRA is still a powerhouse in terms of pro 2A lobbying that we do not want to lose. Clear the dead wood, give those whose actions will harm the cause of freedom the boot, and get back to business. To all who would jump ship now, you are playing into the hands of the antis . . . don?t do it. Stand and fight all enemies of tour Constitutional rights, and that includes the insiders responsible for this travesty, but present a united front to the true enemies of freedom in the anti-2A culture.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 04:49:35 AM »

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/04/nras-future-only-two-options-can-the-bod-save-us/#ixzz5mApi4L6z

I have never abandoned the NRA, nor will I. But, having said that it is time we clean our own house and get the organization back on track as was originally intended. The NRA is still a powerhouse in terms of pro 2A lobbying that we do not want to lose. Clear the dead wood, give those whose actions will harm the cause of freedom the boot, and get back to business. To all who would jump ship now, you are playing into the hands of the antis . . . don?t do it. Stand and fight all enemies of tour Constitutional rights, and that includes the insiders responsible for this travesty, but present a united front to the true enemies of freedom in the anti-2A culture.

Yep I agree. For those who think it's "morally" right to abandon the NRA now think about who you work for and ask yourself if those companies are always run without some shade on certain things. If the answer is no then will you apply the same moral outrage and quit your job too?
WE are the NRA and it went down the tubes while we have sat back and allowed it now we're mad? We have allowed the same thing to happen to our government. Allowing things to go bad then giving up when they do is no solution.

Offline mtang45

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 06:26:23 AM »

Yep I agree. For those who think it's "morally" right to abandon the NRA now think about who you work for and ask yourself if those companies are always run without some shade on certain things. If the answer is no then will you apply the same moral outrage and quit your job too?
WE are the NRA and it went down the tubes while we have sat back and allowed it now we're mad? We have allowed the same thing to happen to our government. Allowing things to go bad then giving up when they do is no solution.

Agree 100%. The purpose and mission of the NRA has not changed one bit. Just because some of its leaders have allowed themselves to become corrupt is not a reason to abandon the mission. I only pray that the NRA is able to get its house in order and it does survive the storm that's coming.

Offline RoverSig

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 08:28:34 AM »
It is time for new leadership in the NRA. 

I can't assess blame or responsibility for the current problems, because I don't know enough, but the sharks are circling the lifeboat (the one we all are in, if we support the 2A) and someone is needed to steer the boat.

There are still respected, competent, honest leaders in this country.  The NRA should turn to one of them to clean things up and get the organization back on the right course.

Offline OnlyHereForEE

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 11:08:51 AM »
It’s about time for an overhaul

Offline fastfr8r

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 05:14:33 PM »

+1

Offline CCWLearner

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 01:08:46 AM »
I've been an NRA lifetime member since about 15 years ago, and was doing annual renewals for many years prior to that.  I haven't donated any additional money to them since then, but I have been to one of their conventions and attended some of their training courses.  I don't like a lot of what I've heard about their internal corruption lately, but I'm not abandoning or boycotting them by any means, because they are still the most effective lobbying group out there protecting our 2A rights.  Hopefully they can cut out whatever organizational rot they are suffering from.  I've been voting in favor of some of the newer board members and against some of the longer-term entrenched ones, even prior to this year's scandals.  Not sure if that can or will accomplish anything though.

CZ_FANATIC

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 08:12:21 AM »
I recently joined the GOA. I will not be renewing with the NRA.

Offline JD Miller

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2019, 08:59:25 AM »

Right on ,, I agree!   

Offline Hammer Time

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2019, 10:43:10 AM »

Offline crosstimbers

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 01:08:52 PM »
No doubt the NRA has some problems, and that something needs to be done. But I will say this, the bulk of the media has an interest in portraying the NRA in the worst light possible, up to and including exaggerating all manner of "news" about the organization's internal problems. I am in the camp of those who wont be abandoning the NRA, they are still the largest and most effective group fighting to save our endangered rights, and besides I'm a life member anyway. :o

Im not 100% sure who is to blame within the NRA, but something needs adjustment, and until it gets done the media will continue to milk the dilemma for everything that it is worth, to attack gun ownership.
It's not saving any water if you have to flush it over and over....

Offline marshaul

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2019, 01:31:52 PM »
I joined the NRA for exactly 1 year, and in that year their spam made it amply apparent that they are a partisan mouthpiece for the GOP and not a bipartisan gun rights organization. This is exactly the wrong thing to do.

Now, I've never voted democrat and I don't intend to start, but I remember when the VCDL gave Creigh Deeds an A+ (for very sound reasons), and his competitor McDonnell got... TBH I don't remember, but it wasn't an A+. Then a little while later the NRA comes out with their usual BS, vote McDonnell because the democrats are going to take your guns! I hadn't thought much of it before, because it seemed exaggerated but otherwise more or less accurate much of the time, but this was the single instance it all became clear. And every election cycle it's the same crap, "OMG DEMOCRATS TAKE YOUR GUNS BUY THEM ALL NOW".

I suppose it's good salesmanship for gun companies, but my goal is not to pay for their advertising, but to pay for someone to lobby for my 2A rights. The NRA quite simply does not do that.

Partisan team cheerleading will kill this country faster than either side could possibly manage on their own.