Author Topic: Receiver and barrel alignment causing elevation sight issues  (Read 9360 times)

Offline erikc838

Re: Receiver and barrel alignment causing elevation sight issues
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2019, 10:44:40 PM »
They can have the same issue.

I was under the impression that the HBI aluminum handguards were free float and did away with the barrel nut?

The issue is that the barrel is angled down slightly, because of the receiver, and the HBI handguard attaches to a device on the barrel.  I sent a pic to HBI and they said that the receivers have not been very precise.  My aluminum HBI handguard is canted down slightly. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 10:48:41 PM by erikc838 »

Offline erikc838

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2019, 10:45:20 PM »
HBI aluminum doesn't use the 18mm barrel nut.

I'm aware as I have one installed.  I could post what HBI told me if that would be helpful for you
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 10:50:02 PM by erikc838 »

Offline dcompton

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2019, 11:03:47 PM »
Yeah I have tried several handguards. The issue is the receiver. It isn’t square up front and that is causing some of the barrels to be angled down. It’s a simple blowback so I guess life goes on, but once you see it....you just sort of always notice it. No real way to fix it either. If you sand and square up the front, then the trunnion bosses become smaller in dimension and the barrel will have play. I have looked at and played with mine in the shop all day. I don’t see a good way of fixing it.

Offline mikeinak

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2019, 11:12:18 PM »
Shorten the front sight post?

Offline Rooftop Korean

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2019, 01:03:03 AM »
I personally think if you’re looking for close to perfect, this isn’t the firearm for you. If you’re looking for something with a lot of personality, really fun to run with and don’t mind a slightly pigeon toed firearm then the Scorpion is for you.  I work with what I have and shortening the front sight post is something I’d do to work this out if I had to. 

Offline Asylum9

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2019, 10:35:06 AM »
I personally think if you’re looking for close to perfect, this isn’t the firearm for you. If you’re looking for something with a lot of personality, really fun to run with and don’t mind a slightly pigeon toed firearm then the Scorpion is for you.  I work with what I have and shortening the front sight post is something I’d do to work this out if I had to.

There a difference between having personality like the safety stabbing you in the finger and having a limp barrel. I can't believe the let them out of the factory that way.
ApIII%

Offline dcompton

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2019, 10:58:20 AM »

There a difference between having personality like the safety stabbing you in the finger and having a limp barrel. I can't believe the let them out of the factory that way.

Sort of my line of thinking. As a realist, I understand that this is simple blowback clamshell design. Heck, like 6 hex screws and you can literally turn this thing into a pile of pieces. However, as a consumer, this is marketed as a quality PDW. I have many CZs, and I have even been to the factory in the Czech Republic. My handguns and Brens are of unflinching quality. I guess I expected as much from the Scorp. Cest la vie. 

Offline Rooftop Korean

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2019, 02:38:20 PM »

I feel you there.  I find it funny that CZ "listened" to their customers by threading the barrel to 1/2 x 28, and stopped welding the trigger pack to the lower.  Then they never redesigned the grip and right safety which are probably the biggest complaint they get.  I would probably say that it's probably cheaper to thread a barrel, and goop on some thread locker, than re-tool molds for a grip and produce a separate mold for the right side safety.

Offline Rooftop Korean

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2019, 04:22:17 PM »
As for cheaper to thread a lot of barrels than to make a new mold for the right side safety, I would strongly disagree.  Speaking as someone who does have a lathe and can thread barrels and knows a little about that, there is a lot of time in setup and tooling costs involved in it.  Not even taking into consideration having the skilled labor to do quality work, which CZ is known to do.

The ambi selector switch is a lot easier for the end user to do something with themselves if they want, than to be able to thread their own barrels when they get them home.

It's just a poor comparison I guess.  But, CZ started out importing a pistol.  Then a carbine.  Now there are probably about a half dozen different models if you take into account the restricted SMG and Integrally suppressed models. 

I am confident in saying that CZ has been striving to make a good product and one that people can rely on.  With as many people that like the scorpion (and CZ in general), they have a strong following from their customers.

Ah, I thought it would be easier to thread a barrel on a factory line just because everything is already set up and would add one more thing to be done on the lathe.  I totally understand the work involved when the end user decides to thread a barrel with set up as you said.  I also don't see a big deal with the right side safety.  It really isn't that hard to change out.

I also agree that they have done much more than other companies as far as listening to customer feedback.

Offline kb377

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2019, 02:04:39 PM »
I forgot to come back and update this thread...just wanted to publicly thank HBI for their outstanding service. They got in contact with me on their own and remedied the issue with the Sapper handguard beyond my expectation.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 11:55:58 AM by kb377 »

Offline Briang

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2020, 05:40:27 PM »
This ever get sorted? I was looking at mine with the same issue and found this thread shorty after posting about it on another forum.

Not sure if there is a revised version now?

Offline 427Cobra

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2020, 02:25:52 PM »
This ever get sorted? I was looking at mine with the same issue and found this thread shorty after posting about it on another forum.

Not sure if there is a revised version now?

I just got mine installed today, and the issue is still there, I used my Dremel with a round sanding barrel to relieve some plastic on the lower portion of the barrel hole, that helped but didn't completely square things up, I might block sand the aft side and maybe open up the cutouts for the sling loops, its hardly noticeable though, and I'll probably never use the iron sights.

anything