Author Topic: Mechanical Scale recommend one for a new reloader  (Read 2982 times)

Offline critter99

Mechanical Scale recommend one for a new reloader
« on: July 15, 2019, 07:56:18 AM »
New to reloading.  Starting with pistol cartridges so i need a scale that has resolution and accuracy at the lower end of range.

Bought a Lee classic turret press to learn on with a Lee Drum Powder drop

Offline painter

Re: Mechanical Scale recommend one for a new reloader
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 08:09:29 AM »
You can't go wrong with an RCBS 505, a Lyman D5, or and Ohaus 5-0-5. All made by Ohaus. I'd stay away from the cheap electronic scales. They can be great, or junk.

Search powder scales on ebay.

Get a set of small check weights to verify your scale.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline SoCal

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 08:31:58 AM »

X2
If I had known how much better being retired is than working I would have done it FIRST.

Offline timetofly

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 01:25:33 PM »

X2

all or the above

All of life’s journeys begin by putting one foot in front of the other.

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 09:18:39 PM »
The Ohaus 5-0-5 is a very nice scale
But if you can find an Ohaus made (RCBS) 10-10, then you're talkin'
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline Ridgeline17

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 09:24:45 PM »
Thinking of replacing my old Lyman with a Redding #2. Believe made in USA and has markings at dial which gives over under readings.  Most scales have had weight removed to save money and a complaint is the scales move. Loaders have added weight to bottom and set scales on sand paper.  A calibrated weight is a very good thing to have even if I did not have one for the Lyman. Reviews of electronic scales is below that of mechanical. 

Offline nettle

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 09:40:39 PM »
I have a Redding #2. They are made in the USA. I have owned RCBS mechanical scales also. The Redding I own now and RCBS I have owned in the past are very accurate and reliable. 

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 10:13:15 PM »
https://www.dillonprecision.com/dillon-s-eliminator-scale_8_7_25215.html

The Dillon Eliminator is exactly the same as the 5-0-5 series from Ohaus and RCBS. RCBS no longer sells that scale, so if you want a new one, then you need to go to Dillon.

One of the features that makes this entire series from Ohaus a top tier scale is that the beam is calibrated in units of "10".

The Redding is a nice scale, but it's beam is calibrated in "5". This means if the poise is set on "2" you need to look very carefully to determine if it's weighing "2" or "7".

To me that's simply an invitation to error. I consider myself human, therefore I don't need any additional help making mistakes.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 11:08:18 AM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline bang bang

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 12:58:17 PM »
New to reloading.  Starting with pistol cartridges so i need a scale that has resolution and accuracy at the lower end of range.

Bought a Lee classic turret press to learn on with a Lee Drum Powder drop

I got the RCBS 10-10.   iirc, it will go up to 1010 g.  Its not that i will be using that much everyday, but its nice to have when you need it.  so consider what you may want to reload/load in the future and get according to that.

Also, i would look for a scale with magnetic dampening.

there are also digital pan type scales too.

if your local police department sells/auctions off some confiscated items, you maybe able to find something there.  At one time with all of the druggies out there, they would get some type of scale on the raids.  And some of them were really nice and expensive too.  But i would make sure it in grains or is changeable.  I wouldnt do any math to change since that will add one possible layer of error.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 04:07:46 PM »
Have a couple of the cheap China electronics that work great and i verify with bullets i know the weight of.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline hollywood63

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 06:30:17 PM »
I use a Lee with good luck. But as mentioned get the weights to verify

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 07:37:26 PM »
Here's my thinking on digital scales...

• They are faster, but let's consider how they are used. You decide to reload 200 rounds. You use the scale to setup the powder measure. Then you reload your 200 rounds. So the "faster" scale has saved you 2 minutes, but the reloading took 20-40 times that amount of time. So if you look at your total reloading session length, there's really no appreciable difference.

• They are great, but when they start to wander they give no outward indications. That's why you need  a session with the check weights before starting.

• They are affected (or should we say afflicted) by everything you can't see.... drafts, magnetic fields, power fluctuations, etc which makes it hard to prevent trouble.

Don't get me wrong... I think everyone should own a digital scale. I simply think it should be their second or backup unit. If you find a bullet on the floor and you want to quickly see which box it should go back into, then a digital is nice to have.

;)
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline AMraider

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2019, 10:39:06 AM »
I bought a Lyman M5 made by Ohaus on ebay several years ago for a cheap price to go with my Lee scale that came with my starter kit. I recently bought a RCBS Chargemaster Lite. So far I really like it. Of course check weights are a must.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2019, 02:16:30 PM »
Here's my thinking on digital scales...

• They are faster, but let's consider how they are used. You decide to reload 200 rounds. You use the scale to setup the powder measure. Then you reload your 200 rounds. So the "faster" scale has saved you 2 minutes, but the reloading took 20-40 times that amount of time. So if you look at your total reloading session length, there's really no appreciable difference.

I use them for setup but mostly for very accurate individual rifle cartridge reloading where they save a lot of time.

• They are great, but when they start to wander they give no outward indications. That's why you need  a session with the check weights before starting.

I check them every 25 rounds for the rifle loads and b4 set up of powder dispenser.

• They are affected (or should we say afflicted) by everything you can't see.... drafts, magnetic fields, power fluctuations, etc which makes it hard to prevent trouble.

Have never had a wandering problem in the 8 years I have used the digitals.

Don't get me wrong... I think everyone should own a digital scale. I simply think it should be their second or backup unit. If you find a bullet on the floor and you want to quickly see which box it should go back into, then a digital is nice to have.

;)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 12:26:59 PM by larryflew »
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?