Author Topic: Mass shootings-What is wrong with our civilization?  (Read 6754 times)

Offline charlielikesczs

Mass shootings-What is wrong with our civilization?
« on: August 05, 2019, 08:51:55 PM »
We are living in sad times. I am 49 years old and my heart bleeds for all these victims of these senseless tragedies. Families shook to the core and for what?  I own several firearms. I am certain that the firearm is not the root cause of all this evil. But my questions to you folks are: What is the root cause? Where did we go so wrong? When did it start to go wrong? Can it be fixed? How do we fix it?

Here's my $.02 :
Computers, cell phones, video games(ok-arcades came in late but pac man is not the same as red dead redemption), social media, and no child left behind were things that simply did not exist when I was growing up. Kids played. We played tag, release, hide and seek, frisbee, hacky-sack, climbed trees, you name it. Baseball and football fields were full. Basketball courts were full as well. In the summer we would leave our houses in the morning, come home for dinner, and not come back home until the streetlights came on. And if we were late, we'd catch a whoopin from the old man. If you failed to meet certian academic requirements, you had to repeat that grade.

I drive around alot as part of my job and I dont see anyone outside anymore (With the exception of the local range on the  days on the days i want to take my boys shooting).  Empty ballfields and crickets. Thats it, thats the list. Its almost as if kids are losing their ability to interact or something. If we were angry or  had dusputes, we would just throw fists and be done with it.

Someone once said, “I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.” Are we there i wonder? I dont stay up on the news as it typically upsets me so forgive my ignorance, but is anyone asking these types of questions? What can be done to fix this mess? OK, I'm done for now but I would love to here some other suggestions because i am just astounded that the best this country can seem to come up with is " its the guns fault"

Offline MadDuner

Re: Mass shootings-What is wrong with our civilization?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 09:11:49 PM »
The well-meaning esteem building “everybody is a winner, everybody gets a trophy” was the start of it I think.  We’ve denied children of a very essential part of life - that part about facing failure because in reality not everyone is a winner, and very certainly everyone does not get a participation trophy.  They lack any coping mechanism for failure.  Their entire early life they were told one thing, then when they become “of age” they find out it was a lie.  They were also told they could be anything, but now they found out that was a lie also.  Some obviously take this news better than others.

Take the last Presidential election for instance.... for many young people it was their very first election.  Theyq were voting for free college, and free healthcare and free whatever they were also believing was going to be free. They did in fact get a little participation “sticker”, but their pick did NOT win.  They completely lack any mechanism for this “loss”.  They cannot fathom the idea that other people have not been programmed or are wired the same as they are. They are bitter, intolerant and resentful, and they are certainly not coping very well.  Only the extreme and possibly mentally ill appear to be acting out violently, but make no mistake.  They aren’t done with their temper tantrums just yet.

I do not know how we fix these broken children, but I can see many places for improvements in reality-based education for the future.  It’s not nice to blow smoke up the young people’s behind their whole life - then kick them in the same place when they are all of a sudden supposed to be adults.  They need to learn about how life works before they are old enough to vote....or buy guns.

Offline David0408

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 11:18:44 PM »
Seems to me the two of you understand the problem pretty well. I’d only add that boys need a present father, mental health has to be noted from elementary school through adulthood and social media has to start acting responsibly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 12:35:13 AM »
I did this discussion on the Tomi Lauren site for 2 hours today.  Lots of ideas on what's wrong along the same lines as here but nothing really doable suggested.  Most of what I was doing was explaining the difference between actual military weapons and our available AR15 and AK 47s.

Sent some to look up Google pictures of assault pencil to show how stupid the gun control people can be.  Also look up assault rifle on any sight other than Webster who changed the definition last year to match what gun grabbers wanted.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline bang bang

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 01:09:53 AM »
sorry.

but everyone wants a silver bullet to solve the problem but it has many roots.

some of it is what you all stated and then whats hasnt been stated and many other things no one is looking at.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 05:04:18 AM »
There is a certain mental health crisis at play here but it comes from many areas.Yes it's best that a child have 2 good parents but I know several people who grew up in divorced homes and they did not grow up hating society or anyone for that matter.
We can point at social media but that was non existent when Colin Ferguson shot up the NY subway and in it's infancy when Columbine happened. Video games have been around for decades now but the most violent one I played in the 80's was defender flying a little spaceship blowing up aliens. Violent games MAY play some role but then look at all the celebrities that make millions on their own horrendously violent films yet tout their moral compass in front of everyone else.
I lay much of the blame on society as a whole today. Look at how religion is demonized and mocked and the most perverse lifestyles are held as absolutely normal and acceptable and even touted as constitutional rights even the killing of the unborn is revered by the American left.
The public school system has grossly failed today's youth. They care more about "gender neutrality" "alternate lifestyle" and "everyone is special" than teaching children what they need to succeed in life. I had many teachers who started the day with the class reciting the Lords Prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance and we learned to love our country and be patriotic and it didn't hurt anyone. When we did wrong in school we got punished and our parents also got a phone call and then you got punished again when you got home. Schools and society allow children to run amok today without consequences for anything.
No amount of gun control or banning of certain guns or outright confiscation will repair what ails our culture today. The warped individuals who perpetrate these atrocities will just find other means. Bombs, vehicles, or whatever else they can find to do damage. The internet is their complicit friend in destruction.
There is no quick fix and no single thing that will stop any of this and I personally don't see it changing in my lifetime or what's left of it. To much and too many things are just wrong and until the day comes when society realizes how morally bankrupt it has become nothing will change. Liberalism is the greatest health crisis we face at this point.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 10:34:31 AM by SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM »

Offline charlielikesczs

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 10:23:02 AM »
I agree with everything that you all have said. I imagine it will have to get worse before anything gets better. I once read this and I believe it to be true:

“Hard times create strong men
Strong men create good times
Good times create weak men
Weak men create hard times”

It appears to be a vicious cycle. We appear to be on the downslope. Pray. Vote. Be active in your community. Talk to your kids-Nephews, nieces, etc and stay armed.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 04:09:08 PM »
Kind of like government where not a single type of government lasts forever - as we slowly slide away from being a republic for the people and by the people.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline v35

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 04:24:34 PM »
I agree 100% with everything you said but I'll take it a step further.

Guns are nothing new in our society, neither are video games and even "social media" if you consider TV and advertising media content that predated the Internet by decades. I wasted plenty of time playing Donkey Kong in my youth but I never felt the urge to hurl a barrel at anyone.

So what's different today? I have an idea. The one factor that clearly stands out in my mind is this pervasive and accepted "common knowledge" that we're killing the Earth and making it uninhabitable. I utterly and thoroughly reject that concept, since I've been hearing it since I was a kid, except then it was the oncoming ice age. Then somehow it became global warming. Now, it's "global climate change." Whatever you want to call it—and whether or not it's actually grounded in scientific fact, or is something Mankind has brought upon itself, and I don't intend to get involved in that discussion on this site—it's a doomsday scenario that young people have been exposed to since birth. It's all they have ever known. We're doomed!

Personally, I view such shrill sky-is-falling for the hysteria that it is, and have only laughed it off. We will be having the same debate ten, twenty, fifty years from now, because it has been the same debate for the past ten, twenty, fifty years. Nothing has changed, and it predates even my life. My early memories of my grandparents were that of hearing them telling me the end is nigh. Now Elon Musk is telling us we have to find another planet (Mars? Really?) lest mankind itself cease to exist. Hey Elon, I'm not going to Mars, neither is anyone else, not now, not ever. Mars is a lousy, dead place completely incompatible with life. Forget that idea.

Again—and whatever the "truth" may be—the effect of this "common knowledge" on young people is pernicious. It has caused them to conclude, to really believe, that they have no future. Their existence doesn't matter. With no future, they don't plan for one. They forego personal savings for retirement (Wall Street Journal article). They forego getting married and having families (comments from Congressional representatives). They'll never get out of debt (comments from Presidential candidates). Then, add the "social media" platform with which they constantly compare themselves to others who are universally more popular and more attractive than they'll ever be. Conclusion: They're losers with no future. Is it any wonder they're killing themselves? After all, the message from climate experts is that people are the problem. Solution: kill all the humans. Perhaps in their twisted minds these mass-murderers are thinking they're doing us a favor.

This is bad. It's bad for society. It's an attitude that needs to be stomped out. More than ever, young people today need to know they have a brighter future than at any other time in history, that they're going to have a long and beautiful life. Yet they're being told the exact opposite. Why? Who benefits from this sky-is-falling narrative? The question answers itself.

Offline charlielikesczs

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 08:58:39 PM »
Any younger cz lovers care to chime in here? I would really like to hear your opinions as well.

It doesnt help that the media is helping to create this monster by shamelessly showcasing these atrocities (thereby making these imbicilic cowards infamous) for profit and to promote political agendas. Nothing sells like fear.
Perhaps this some sort of way of getting notariety because one is not getting enough "likes, friends, or followers"

I guess i'm just trying to make some sense out of the senseless.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 09:14:00 PM »
While these shootings are indeed a very real and true tragedy....

How different is it from a wrong-way driver or drunk driver that hits a car full of people and kills and injures them? 

It’s still the criminal actions of 1 person - affecting many others.
10,000 people are killed every year by drunk drivers. 
I have yet to hear a single thing from the leftists where they blame the car or truck for the deed.  No calls to ban black F250 4WDs.  No calls for restrictions on Mustangs, or Buicks.  Yet they blame a gun every single time - when the exact same results are the outcome.

Offline v35

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 09:18:55 PM »
It doesnt help that the media is helping to create this monster by shamelessly showcasing these atrocities (thereby making these imbicilic cowards infamous) for profit and to promote political agendas.
Perhaps this some sort of way of getting notariety because one is not getting enough "likes, friends, or followers"

It should come as no surprise to you but the media does not showcase nearly all of the mass murders that occur with disturbing regularity. The overwhelming majority of mass shootings (defined as a single event involving four or more victims) are not committed by "white supremacists," nor do they use the hated "assault rifle". Far from it. Those stories are equally devastating, and equally tragic. They don't make the news, simply because those stories don't advance their agenda.

Edit: here you go The same weekend as massacres in El Paso and Dayton, 15 people were shot in 2 Chicago incidents. Why aren’t those called mass shootings too? From the Chicago Tribune no less. Not a bastion of conservative thought.

Many potential tragedies are stopped by a legally armed CWP holder. As soon as that little detail becomes known, those stories are quickly buried.

Nothing sells like fear.

Exactly. There is no news; there is only entertainment. There is no money in the unbiased collection and reporting of facts. Understand that and it all begins to make sense.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 09:30:15 PM by v35 »

Offline Skookum

• Truth is the new hate speech.
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 02:24:42 PM »
It should come as no surprise to you but the media does not showcase nearly all of the mass murders that occur with disturbing regularity. The overwhelming majority of mass shootings (defined as a single event involving four or more victims) are not committed by "white supremacists," nor do they use the hated "assault rifle". Far from it. Those stories are equally devastating, and equally tragic. They don't make the news, simply because those stories don't advance their agenda.

From: https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/08/photos-every-us-mass-shooter-in-2019-who-shot-four-or-more-people/

« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 02:30:59 PM by Skookum »
Skookum
Browning Challenger III, .22 Long Rifle, Glossy Blue
CZ 83, 9 Browning Court, Satin Nickel
CZ 75 Compact, 9 Luger, Dual Tone — Satin Nickel/Matte Blue
CZ 82, 9 Makarov, Czechoslovak People's Army Black
CZ 83, 7.65 Browning, Glossy Blue
Beretta 3032 Tomcat, .32 Auto, Inox

Offline mickey66

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2019, 04:27:25 PM »
All of yous have made some good points here. The sad fact of life is the Politician's are spinning all this as it's the Guns fault! So, nothing is new coming from the Dems or the Repubs ! Same old bleep It's the AR-15s Fault! With all the trouble the NRA is having the 2nd Amendment might be in big Trouble! Joe Biden,Corey Booker,K Harris and others want to confiscate all semi-auto rifles! Trump is caving-in already and can't be trusted....Red Flag Laws are unconstitutional and will go to the SCOTUS for the big fight. "Just buy a Shotgun" Joe Biden ~ 2016
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 04:41:57 PM by mickey66 »

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2019, 07:09:53 PM »
Meanwhile the left hasn't missed a chance to let everyone know who's to blame for the violence yet here is a fantastic example of their hypocrisy.
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/the-hunt-movie-deplorables

anything