Author Topic: Emergency Food  (Read 2699 times)

Offline David0408

Emergency Food
« on: August 20, 2019, 10:13:01 PM »
Anyone have some easy to buy dehydrated/powdered food that they would recommend? I’d like to have a few weeks worth on hand. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
Re: Emergency Food
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 10:50:50 PM »
Mountain house. Wait for it to go on sale then get the pails.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline AMM

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 12:19:42 PM »
I agree with Grendel's suggestion; especially good if you intend to use some camping etc. so that you can rotate stock.

If you would like to supplement your supply with some staples that can be stored for longer periods that are available at lower cost, the Latter Day Saints online store also offers a variety of products. They are in #10 cans with up to a 30 year shelf life,  and include staples such as rolled oats, cracked wheat, sugar, freeze dried veggies,  etc. Do a search for the "LDS Store long term food storage".  They are happy to sell products to non members.

Cheers
Kadet II
CZ 75 Shadow SAO
CZ 75 SP01 Shadow 1
455FS 22LR
457 Varmint MTR 22LR
457 Training 22LR
527FS 5.56x45

Offline bang bang

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 07:36:13 PM »
something to consider.

you will need water for that freeze dried food.  If you think/plan to have alot of potable water, then its a no brainer. But...

MREs are self contained more or less. You will need the water to survive.

Offline David0408

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 10:50:00 PM »
Great advice guys, thanks! Definitely looking to have a storage of water for drinking only. Now I’ll need another for cooking.

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 12:02:54 AM »
Keep a gallon or two of common bleach on hand. Half a dozen drops will purify water.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline David0408

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 06:45:30 PM »
Bleach absolutely, thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Offline Boogalou

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 08:00:29 AM »
Or you can get some calcium hypochlorite like they use for swimming pools.  Or purchase a Katadyn or Berkey water purifier system.

For survival food, these three sites have a good selection -

https://www.thereadystore.com/
https://www.beprepared.com/
https://honeyville.com/

Offline AMM

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 05:02:04 PM »
Good luck with that!  ;D
Kadet II
CZ 75 Shadow SAO
CZ 75 SP01 Shadow 1
455FS 22LR
457 Varmint MTR 22LR
457 Training 22LR
527FS 5.56x45

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 05:08:17 PM »
Or you can get some calcium hypochlorite like they use for swimming pools.  Or purchase a Katadyn or Berkey water purifier system.

For survival food, these three sites have a good selection -

https://www.thereadystore.com/
https://www.beprepared.com/
https://honeyville.com/

Berkey water filter is just lain great. it will do about 6000 gallons on one set of filters and it will take lake water and make it drinkable.
I got one for my wife and man does she love it

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 01:10:00 AM »
I am old school, cheap and lazy. I pick up a few canned items almost every time I am at the store. Could be anything from Campbell's Chunky Soups, to canned meat, or Dinty Moore Beef Stew, but whatever it is,. it doesn't require added water, is easy to open, and has a few years shelf life.
I do rotate stock, too. Dinty Moore is really good with a little Worcestershire and coarse ground black pepper...which leads to another point. For the lightweight run away bag, consider WalMart's camping section, and the plastic camp spice deal they have. It's 6 different ones, IIRC, and one thing you will never remember to take with you in a hurry is salt and pepper...pork and beans by themselves get nasty after a while. Just sayin'.
Of course, with our age and infirmities, buggin IN is far more likely.

Offline crosstimbers

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 06:30:35 AM »
Not for nothing but dried beans and dried rice can be purchased in bulk quite cheap. Both are good for long term storage in the right containers, the beans can even be stored in the freezer if that's your thing. Beans are a good protein source as well. Again, water is necessary with both.
It's not saving any water if you have to flush it over and over....

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2019, 11:52:56 AM »
Not for nothing but dried beans and dried rice can be purchased in bulk quite cheap. Both are good for long term storage in the right containers, the beans can even be stored in the freezer if that's your thing. Beans are a good protein source as well. Again, water is necessary with both.

Half the world is surviving on beans and rice, so they can't all be wrong.  O0

My understanding is that it's the combination of beans with rice that builds a perfect protein the body can readily use.

However, I'm stocking my survival bunker with nothing but chocolate. As many women as there's bound to be after an incident, I'm figuring that will be the most valuable thing on the planet !!  ;D
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline David0408

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2019, 06:41:11 PM »
Beans and rice...brilliant. Thanks!

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 08:56:29 AM »
I am old school, but perhaps not cheap as I love to pressure can my own (or wife's) home made soups, chilis, salsa, spaghetti sauce, leftover pot roasts -- you name it.  If you purchase large cuts or packages of meats, etc. without a big family to eat it all, consider making enough left-overs to pressure can in sealed mason jars.  The outlay for a quality pressure canner, jars, rings, and one-use lids allows for storage of super-yummy recipes (your own) without need for refrideration or dehydration.  Very much worth it IMHO -- especially if one were to also invest in a garden and hunting wild game.  Hard to beat the feeling of self sufficiency with a bunch of your OWN products sitting nicely on the shelf and made for a quick meal to re-heat whenever.
http://www.allamericancanner.com/All-American-15-Quart-Pressure-Canner.htm

I am old school, cheap and lazy. I pick up a few canned items almost every time I am at the store. Could be anything from Campbell's Chunky Soups, to canned meat, or Dinty Moore Beef Stew, but whatever it is,. it doesn't require added water, is easy to open, and has a few years shelf life.
I do rotate stock, too. Dinty Moore is really good with a little Worcestershire and coarse ground black pepper...which leads to another point. For the lightweight run away bag, consider WalMart's camping section, and the plastic camp spice deal they have. It's 6 different ones, IIRC, and one thing you will never remember to take with you in a hurry is salt and pepper...pork and beans by themselves get nasty after a while. Just sayin'.
Of course, with our age and infirmities, buggin IN is far more likely.

anything