Author Topic: EDC SIGHT CHANGE FOR OLD GUY  (Read 4231 times)

Offline boss281

Re: EDC SIGHT CHANGE FOR OLD GUY
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2019, 05:19:19 AM »
Aging eyes (near sighted) and pistol sights are a major growing frustration for me.

As for shooting glasses, I have a custom set with right dominant eye focused on front sight and support side eye on distance. This allows me to compete  effectively with steel challenge or IDPA. I will be trying one more set of custom prescription glasses with distance in the main lens and a small oval set of readers at the top of the lens shortly.

For defensive shooting practice inside 10 yards I do fine with or without prescription glasses and Dawson precision fiber optic front and rear on my P-01.

I will experiment with a red dot soon. I tried that recently at my favorite range and I'm convinced this is the way to go not only for bullseye shooting but for competitive shooting. I have obtained spare slide for my spo1 tactical and will have that milled for an RDS soon. Red dots on my ARs and Scorpion with a distance prescription are the bomb!

I am 62 and frustrated

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Scorpion Evo S1 Carbine and Pistol, 75BD, SP-01 Tactical CGW Pro Kit, P-01 CGW Defensive Carry Kit, P-07, P-09

Offline Vinny

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2019, 09:29:03 AM »
Aging eyes (near sighted) and pistol sights are a major growing frustration for me.

As for shooting glasses, I have a custom set with right dominant eye focused on front sight and support side eye on distance. This allows me to compete  effectively with steel challenge or IDPA. I will be trying one more set of custom prescription glasses with distance in the main lens and a small oval set of readers at the top of the lens shortly.

For defensive shooting practice inside 10 yards I do fine with or without prescription glasses and Dawson precision fiber optic front and rear on my P-01.

I will experiment with a red dot soon. I tried that recently at my favorite range and I'm convinced this is the way to go not only for bullseye shooting but for competitive shooting. I have obtained spare slide for my spo1 tactical and will have that milled for an RDS soon. Red dots on my ARs and Scorpion with a distance prescription are the bomb!

I am 62 and frustrated

Boss, I think once you commit to RDS, you'll never look back. With your distance prescription both the dot and target should appear sharply focused.
The good thing about RDS is that it's especially effective for dry-fire practice (with an O ring under the hammer) you'll get where you only focus on the target with both eyes and present the pistol with the dot consistently on target. You'll see any movement of the dot as you dry-fire; and it's certainly helped me improve without wasting live rounds.  Hope it works as well for you as it has for me.  -Vinny
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline boss281

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2019, 09:38:49 AM »

I am 62 and frustrated

Boss, I think once you commit to RDS, you'll never look back. With your distance prescription both the dot and target should appear sharply focused.
The good thing about RDS is that it's especially effective for dry-fire practice (with an O ring under the hammer) you'll get where you only focus on the target with both eyes and present the pistol with the dot consistently on target. You'll see any movement of the dot as you dry-fire; and it's certainly helped me improve without wasting live rounds.  Hope it works as well for you as it has for me.  -Vinny

It's interesting.  I HAVE committed to a red dot on the rifles, and competing with a 9mm platform is easy with my distance prescription. The dot is clear since it's a single plane projection.

Last year when I tried an RDS on my P-01 I found it clunky shooting competitively.  But after taking some instruction at the range recently, I was able to focus on what I was doing wrong. There is a nice 8hr course for RDS equipped pistols that is on my list once I get the SP-01 set up...
Scorpion Evo S1 Carbine and Pistol, 75BD, SP-01 Tactical CGW Pro Kit, P-01 CGW Defensive Carry Kit, P-07, P-09

anything