Author Topic: CZ SP 01 9mm barrel change to .40 s&w  (Read 3603 times)

Offline Rigidman

Re: CZ SP 01 9mm barrel change to .40 s&w
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2019, 09:53:38 AM »
I'm leaning towards the 9mm because if I get the .40 slide it'll be like having 2 guns. If I get the .45 it'll be cheaper, more money to fix up.

Offline Ken6PPC

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2019, 02:57:07 PM »
If you haven't already bought the decocker version, I suggest you re-think that. 

Most agree the manual safety model gives you a better trigger, with even more potential to improve on it. 

Offline Tok36

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 04:04:57 PM »
If you haven't already bought the decocker version, I suggest you re-think that. 

Most agree the manual safety model gives you a better trigger, with even more potential to improve on it.

What is it specifically about a CZ 75 Variant Decocker model that makes it inferior to a CZ 75 Variant Safety model regarding the trigger? For clarity i am looking for specific mechanical differences in the two CZ model types that makes one better or gives one more potential that the other.

You are certainly not alone is this belief, i have heard it many times. However, i do not believe it to be true. I have yet to have anyone offer a credible explanation for this belief. Aside from the option to remove the Firing Pin Block from a CZ Safety model with a FPB and gain what doing so offers the two CZ model types have comparable potential. I have found that the variance in two of the same factory CZ model play a greater part in overall trigger potential than any design differences in Safety models verses Decocker models.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 04:17:00 PM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline retteryer

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2019, 07:44:09 PM »
I prefer manual safety model strictly because is is much easier to work on.I can remove and disassemble manuals safety sear cage in a matter of minutesand it is not so easy/fast on decocker model.
CZ SP-01 9mm,CZ SP-01 Shadow,CZ75B Compact,CZ75B Cold War Memo Commemorative,CZ75B SA,DW VBob,Kadet Kit,CZ75B Brushed Stainless,CZ75B Polished Stainless.

Offline Ken6PPC

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2019, 09:13:38 PM »

What is it specifically about a CZ 75 Variant Decocker model that makes it inferior to a CZ 75 Variant Safety model regarding the trigger? For clarity i am looking for specific mechanical differences in the two CZ model types that makes one better or gives one more potential that the other.

You are certainly not alone is this belief, i have heard it many times. However, i do not believe it to be true. I have yet to have anyone offer a credible explanation for this belief. Aside from the option to remove the Firing Pin Block from a CZ Safety model with a FPB and gain what doing so offers the two CZ model types have comparable potential. I have found that the variance in two of the same factory CZ model play a greater part in overall trigger potential than any design differences in Safety models verses Decocker models.

Please re-read what I wrote...  "Most agree the manual safety model gives you a better trigger, with even more potential to improve on it." 

I never said that I have indisputable evidence that will change YOUR OPINION.  All I stated was MY OPINION

« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 09:34:24 PM by Ken6PPC »

Offline Tok36

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2019, 12:14:57 AM »
If you ever establish any evidence that backs up your opinion i would be interested to hear it. I can think of a number of reasons that one might prefer a safety model over a decocker, the trigger being "better" is not one of them.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Rigidman

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2019, 07:55:30 PM »

CZ even claims the decocker version is more difficult for the DIYr. Guessing it has to do with the mechanism for the decocker. Even if it seems simple to someone that understands their weapons, most would would have problem if all they know is the manual safety versions.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 08:02:07 PM by Rigidman »

Offline Rigidman

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2019, 08:16:20 PM »
The one I'm leaning toward getting is a LE version with nite sights at buds for $552. Manual safety.

I've had/have decocker guns and guns without any safety. They had hammer blocks. Some had no safety but me. To date I haven't had a AD.

Unless I can get a better deal at gunbroker or somewhere, I'll be going with buds. If anyone knows where I can get the 9mm for less better spill it. No one wants to wake up with a horse head in their bed.I

I haven't been able to find a SP01 new for less. Even locally. They're over $600. My gun guy said he couldn't match a LE discount. He does transfers for under $20.

Offline aandabooks

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2019, 08:55:39 PM »
I have a .40 upper that is for sale.  Complete slide for $400 shipped.

Offline Rigidman

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2019, 10:52:23 PM »
I'm tempted. Let me see what a few of the CZs I'm watching at the auctions does. If you still have it we'll talk. There's actually some Tanfoglio match 3s on one of them. Might decide to snag one of those in 10mm instead of the CZ.

Offline aandabooks

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2019, 11:04:34 PM »
What auctions are you watching?  I'm loosely in the market for a 10mm.  Had one and sold it.  Still have a crap ton of reloading supplies for the caliber.

Offline Rigidman

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2019, 11:15:53 PM »
Tempted not to say but there's several at gunbroker. The others are 9mm and .45. Not sure about .40. Trying to get a different caliber than what I currently have. Think I saw one at the buds auction but they're always astronomical in price.

I don't care too much for poly frames but those Tanfo matches are amazing. If the phantoms looked like that I wouldn't mind getting one.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 11:28:11 PM by Rigidman »

Offline Rigidman

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2019, 01:38:16 AM »
I just remembered there's a gun show at the Richmond raceway this weekend. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2019, 08:35:53 PM »
If you ever establish any evidence that backs up your opinion i would be interested to hear it. I can think of a number of reasons that one might prefer a safety model over a decocker, the trigger being "better" is not one of them.
There is no evidence to back up that opinion.   You can tune a decocker just as well as a safety model.   Moving to a non firing pin block model gives you a slight advantage in reset. 

The only mechanical difference between a decocker and a safety (from a trigger pull standpoint) is the hammer hooks.   The decocker only had a single side and the safety has two hooks.  That might lead to a slight advantage to the safety model but I don't think it's noticable. 

Cheers,
Toby

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This forum rocks!

Offline Rigidman

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2019, 05:31:50 AM »
I have no idea one way or the other. If you want a definitive answer, ask CZ. Just researching the models and asking questions about cleaning, improvements like spring kits, they said decocker versions were slightly more difficult.

If you have two separate but similar items and one has 10 parts and the other has 13, the one with 13 is logically slightly more difficult. 2 exact models can be difficult for a beginner compared to someone that is completely familiar with their own weapons or weapons in general.

I grew up around guns understand how they work. Found an old peacemaker type pistol once in .45 at this abandoned house. It was in nice shape but someone had screwed around inside and there were missing parts.

Called colt(no internet yet) and told them the serial number and they hooked me up. Even answered my long line of questions. My brother who never really had any interest in guns or cars, car salesman type, no mechanical ability whatsoever. Not saying car salesman can't work on cars, just my brother can't not a lick of mechanical ability.

We actually found it together, gave him $20 for his share, fixed it and sold it for $490. I was 14. He was po'd. He's the one that wanted $20. I borrowed it from my dad, payed him back after I sold it.I

It's simple logic if something is different or has more parts it's going to be slightly more difficult.