Author Topic: Lefty grips  (Read 641 times)

Offline david s

Lefty grips
« on: November 10, 2019, 08:15:18 PM »
mgur.com/pDpP6gz.jpg?3[/img]om/pDpP6gz.jpg?3[/img]Forum member Arko showed off his work in his post "S&W 627 PC GRIPS". I've done a set of revolver grips for a S&W 63 22L.R. that I carry in my front pocket during hunting season. I use it for Grouse instead of my rifle. The model 63 (the smaller revolver) is a square butt "J" frame gun and the muzzle (front sight) always lined up low for me when I picked it up. I couldn't find any grips that had more meat behind the rear grip strap so I made some. The inspiration for the grips came from the Hogue "N" frame (the larger revolver) round butt grips. The S&W 41 grips and the Colt Match Target grips are thumb rest. When shooting semi autos I tend to place my left thumb on the top grip edge surface if there isn't a ambi-safety to ride. Then I lock my right thumb over the left thumb. This places both thumbs right in the way of the ejection port and causes malfunctions when the spent case bounces off my thumbs and gets kicked back into the ejection port. So a thumb rest grip lowers my thumbs out of the way. I never took any phots during the build process but the card board inletting guides and pine spacer block are left over from the S&W's 41 build. The places that my work went weird are on the 41 your not suppose to see the slide release cut out, it's suppose to be covered. I sanded thru by mistake when forming my trigger finger trough. And on the Colt MT I used straight line reliefs for the safety and slide release access. Should have used semi circles. There are a bunch of other smaller mistake but those are the most glaring.

Offline eastman

Re: Lefty grips
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 09:24:26 PM »
grips look good.
I don't look like my avatar!

anything