Author Topic: Failure to fire jam perhaps with 115 grain loads  (Read 3440 times)

Offline Vincent_Diesel

Failure to fire jam perhaps with 115 grain loads
« on: November 16, 2019, 09:26:21 PM »
Hi, first post here.

Bought a used EVO Scorpion, low rounds, priced well and seems to be mechanically solid. Indoor range I belong to only carries Federal 115 grain ammo, and have been experiencing FTFs and jams the first time out. Been reading that 115 grain just doesn’t have enough energy to fully cycle the bolt. Planning on ordering some 124 grain to test, but I was under the impression the EVO isn’t fussy.

Anybody else experiencing this issue? Any suggestions? TY.

Offline Cohenj87

Re: Failure to fire jam perhaps with 115 grain loads
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 09:28:07 PM »
Hi, first post here.

Bought a used EVO Scorpion, low rounds, priced well and seems to be mechanically solid. Indoor range I belong to only carries Federal 115 grain ammo, and have been experiencing FTFs and jams the first time out. Been reading that 115 grain just doesn’t have enough energy to fully cycle the bolt. Planning on ordering some 124 grain to test, but I was under the impression the EVO isn’t fussy.

Anybody else experiencing this issue? Any suggestions? TY.
What mags are you using? Have you tried switching to a different or new mag? My Scorpion micro has eaten everything I've thrown at it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 09:33:27 PM »
I fired 115, 124, 147, and 165 grain stuff today with no issues or problems with any of them in mine. 

Offline mikec

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 09:37:19 PM »
Shot couple hundred rounds of Czech Sellier Bellot 115 grain today, zero issues.  Few thousand 115 grains in the past, again zero issues.

Offline Vincent_Diesel

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 09:40:27 PM »
Using the factory 10 round mags. Sigh.

I do have some new mags on order hopefully ruling out a mag feed problem. Really bummed about this, I really like the carbine.

Offline Cohenj87

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 09:41:30 PM »

I do have some new mags on order hopefully ruling out a mag feed problem. Really bummed about this, I really like the carbine.
Take a look at the feed lips and pick up some different ammo somewhere else and try that.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 10:05:08 PM by Cohenj87 »

Offline Mr.E.G.

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 09:56:53 PM »
I have never had any issues related to ammo.

However, I have recently had all kinds of issues with other 9mm guns. It turns out that the entire 1,000 round batch of 9mm I bought had a goofy shape to the case and gave the ejector trouble in basically all of my guns.

Your issue may be different, but I would clean and lube the gun, then try some different ammo. See if that works. 

Offline Cohenj87

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 10:06:57 PM »

Also what type of failure are you having?

Offline Vincent_Diesel

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 10:09:20 PM »
Yes. Thanks for the help.

At the range been using the same Federal 115 grain ammo in a Beretta Storm and Sig P320. Not a single issue. The bolt on the scorpion has more weight, very robust so I figured it that may be related to the load. Spent the entire day cleaning the bolt, did see some heavy powder residue on certain parts. Hopefully that will resolve the issue.

Offline Cohenj87

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 10:12:11 PM »
Yes. Thanks for the help.

At the range been using the same Federal 115 grain ammo in a Beretta Storm and Sig P320. Not a single issue. The bolt on the scorpion has more weight, very robust so I figured it that may be related to the load. Spent the entire day cleaning the bolt, did see some heavy powder residue on certain parts. Hopefully that will resolve the issue.
Describe the failure

Offline Vincent_Diesel

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2019, 10:15:46 PM »
Bullet stuck, slightly lower and behind spent cartridge. Upon clearing and inspection no sign of light primer strike.

Offline Cohenj87

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2019, 10:18:58 PM »
Bullet stuck behind spent cartridge, upon clearing and inspection no light primer strike.
So a failure to extract? Have you looked at your extractor?

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2019, 10:19:32 PM »
I have never run the bolt on my Scorpion “dry”.  But I can’t help but wonder what kind of failures it would produce if I did.

Offline Vincent_Diesel

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 03:53:29 PM »
Bullet stuck behind spent cartridge, upon clearing and inspection no light primer strike.

Yes, thanks for clearing that up, failure to extract would be more accurate.

Last night based on suggestions I thoroughly cleaned and lubed gun. Tried new ammo, American Eagle 9mm and same 115 grain. Out of 200 rounds I managed a lower fail rate of 3 jams. Better, but I am trying for zero fails.

Here is a picture of the jammed bullet stuck behind the fired un-extracted cartridge. All jams seem to have a strange chamfer  around the bottom edge. Any thoughts to this? I am feeling like I should be returning this Scorpion in exchange for a new one.

Offline Vincent_Diesel

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 05:58:17 PM »

Also attached a photo of the extractor after a quick cleaning. Correct me if I'm wrong but seems to be okay correct?