Author Topic: Sanding PSA AK-v mags  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Cohenj87

Sanding PSA AK-v mags
« on: November 30, 2019, 12:15:55 PM »
Looking for pics of what you sanded from the people who have sanded the AK-v mags to make them drop free from the Scorpion.
Thanks!

Offline Thunderstick

Re: Sanding PSA AK-v mags
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 04:32:12 PM »
The link below shows mine.    I have a belt sander and only sanded the 'pad' that is in the red circle.    I sanded it, then checked the fit to see if it would drop, repeat as necessary

https://imgur.com/wVXOTjE

Offline Cohenj87

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 06:34:26 PM »
The link below shows mine.    I have a belt sander and only sanded the 'pad' that is in the red circle.    I sanded it, then checked the fit to see if it would drop, repeat as necessary

Cool thanks, you didn't have to take any of the sides at all correct?
https://imgur.com/wVXOTjE

Offline Thunderstick

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 11:02:00 PM »
Correct.   Once that area in red was sanded down adequately, it dropped from the magwell

Offline sickmak90

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 08:22:40 AM »
How much slop was in the mag after you did that? I don’t really want WASR10 levels of mag wobble in my scorpion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cohenj87

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 06:47:44 PM »
How much slop was in the mag after you did that? I don’t really want WASR10 levels of mag wobble in my scorpion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did it with 120 grit sandpaper by hand and the slop is not really any more than a factory mag, maybe slightly more.

Offline Thunderstick

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 03:12:03 PM »
Same wiggle room as the CZ or Magpul mags

Offline Handloader109

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 10:21:39 PM »
Drops just like factory....

Offline MarkS20

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 04:16:38 AM »
Bought a couple of the PSA mags and just compared to PGS hybrid.  Both worked fine but the PSA were tough to get out. Needed a lot of wiggling and that would often trip the bolt to slam home. Need to spend a little time with the PSA mags and some sandpaper.

-- Mark

Offline Trooper894

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 09:58:49 AM »
I just got in another 6 of the standard black PSA mags and I tried 6 of the new PSA brown translucent mags. In both of my Scorpions , as is, they would fit and lock the bolt back, but they were very snug, tight actually,  in the mag wells. My pistol with carbine forend has a slightly looser magwell and my Micro 's magwell is just a hair tighter. It took a couple minutes per mag working on a Harbor Freight 1 inch belt sander to get the front pad sanded down to get where they inserted and came out of the magwells easily. I tested each mag as I worked a little bit at a time off the front pad. Make sure you test the fit with the bolt forward, test the mags ability to lock the bolt back and it's fit in the magwell with the gun at bolt lock and test it's fit with the charging handle locked back, you will get 3 distinctly different feels for the mags fit in the magwell in each mode. I didn't worry about sanding anywhere else on the mag to try and get them to drop free from "bolt lock" as I am used to having to strip mags out from using an HK MP5 for 20+ years.
Honor - Doing what's right, even if no one is watching.

anything