Author Topic: Home Range Insights and Ideas  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
Home Range Insights and Ideas
« on: January 04, 2020, 07:53:00 PM »
I got a home pistol range that gets used a lot. I converted to steel targets about 5 years ago. Looking for ideas on how others hold up steel targets on their home ranges.

General view. Notice middle row target on right has had one chain shot away and has rotated 90°

I saw others using steel chain to support the targets, so I tried that on my 6" dia targets. But even with target loads from 35 feet the chain takes a beating. First I used clamp-and-close links, but the bullets opened them back up. So I welded them shut, and now they simply shatter. Then I converted to carriage bolts thinking the dome heads would deflect the bullets. But the heads either pop off, or get pushed through the holes in the target. So the chain method works, but is maintenance intensive.

Backside of 6" target showing old and new methods of attachment

On the upper row of 8" and 10" targets, I tried using steel rebar. That has worked out with a lot less maintenance. Inexpensive 10ft sections are cut in half and have a "hook" added. Then are driven into the dirt backstop and the target simply hangs there. They do not swing as freely, but they do OK. There is a slight droop in the rod that develops over time, and wooden chocks need to be added to get the height back.

Front side of the rebar-supported 8" targets

I want to remove the chain entirely, but before adding more rebar I'd like to hear other ideas you've tried.

Thanks  ;)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 08:13:13 PM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Ron M.

Re: Home Range Insights and Ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 09:04:27 PM »
Have you tried a cable with swaged connections? You should be able to use a 500 pound cable, it's about 1.5mm thick and with the connector maybe 2mm.  180 pound cable is just under 1mm and connectors are 1.25mm. 

I have used this method on the ranch for hanging steel plates. Just used cable I have for shark and wahoo leaders.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 01:31:04 AM »
Replacement chair webbing takes a lot of shots.  Best is fire hose if you can find it.  Trucker strap works too. Strapping of any kind let's a lot through without a lot of damage.  Torch and not for for holes in nylon and drill in canvas.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline Goju

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 08:17:05 AM »
Wobbly, I wish I had that set up!
It seems to me that your rebar set up offers the best minimal “footprint” for off-target strikes. Could you support the rebar better by running it thru black gas line pipe also driven into the berm (and also extending from the berm some length), at an upward angle?
I have a few sections of  6’ steel TV antenna mast, that would make great end posts for a cable drop setup.

Offline lewmed

• 135th & 240th AHC Vietnam 1967-1968
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 01:51:07 PM »
 I have been using 6" long J hooks that are cut from 1/4" plate that have a loop at the top I hang the hooks from 1/2" steel gas pipe. I've been using the same 12 hooks for a couple years and they have taken many hits from 200gr 45 WC and 240gr 44 mag. WC bullets and are holding up just fine.   

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 08:17:09 PM »
Lewmed -
Got a photo of these J-hooks ?

All -
Great ideas. keep 'em coming !

And thanks !   :-*

Offline CzechnoWizard

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 09:49:08 PM »
Buy a truck mud flap and bandsaw it into strips. A good mudflap has cotton or polyester cord in it and will withstand quite a bit.
Pieces sawn from tire sidewall are ok too. Tread has wire in it and is too tough to cut.

Shooting targets7 (or whatever their website address is) sells rubber straps for this same purpose.

Offline CzechnoWizard

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 09:55:36 PM »
I do still use chains on many targets, but I attach them differently. Too nasty outside right now to go take photos but I'll try to describe it. I weld 2 small tabs on the back side of each plate. The tab is perpendicular to the plate, located a couple inches below the top and has a 3/8 hole thru it. I use an anchor shackle (clevis) to connect the chain to the tab, placing the screw pin thru the hole in the tab.  The target will hang with an angle that encourages ricochet to go downward to the ground.  The shackle is completely shielded behind the target. Worst case a really bad miss nicks 1 link of chain. Pistol rounds have yet to break a chain.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 01:55:33 PM »
Good ideas.  Thanks guys !

Offline Dan_69GTX

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2020, 02:58:26 PM »
I built my own.  For the steel plates I used old angle iron and I bought some 2x4 1/4" wall tubing.  A 2x4 fits perfect into it.  2x4 lumber can be bought cheap or I get them from construction sites scrap pile.  Easy to vary the height that way.  They take a lot of abuse before they fall apart.  Grade 5 carriage bolt - have yet to replace one.

I also used some 1x2 tubing for the uprights to hold some 1x2 lumber to staple paper/cardboard targets to.  I welded several and the various "normal" widths of different targets.

The carriage bolts are bought from here and include a spring and nut.  I also bought my plates from here.
https://shootsteel.com/hardware-kit-for-static-target-holder/

I have not had any handgun bullets penetrate the steel stands that I made.  Rifle rounds will penetrate.  (so don't shoot it - yea - I know).  The steel plates have held up just as advertised. Very very good!

I did find I needed to add drain hole at the bottom of the part that holds the 2x4.  If not, the water stays in and swells the wood making it difficult to remove.

I thought of making something that goes into the dirt pile, but I wanted to be able to have close and far targets to practice transitions.  Also, for rifle needed something portable to move around in the field.

Yes, I did a quick wire brush and painted them with Rustoleum before I used them.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 07:24:16 PM by Dan_69GTX »
Some trust in chassis, Some in Horsepower, But we trust in the Lord our God.

If it goes "boom" or "vroom" I'm intersted.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 04:47:36 PM »
Dang! Glad you mentioned the 2x4 steel. I got about 30 feet of it.

If you could simply pack up your cutoff saw next week, I'd be highly appreciative.  ;D

Offline Dan_69GTX

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 09:26:45 AM »
No problem.  I bought the dry cut saw to get a better cut than abrasive - also much faster cut.

Next on the wish list - plasma cutter!

OOHHH - bells ringing - a plasma cutter will make it easy to put a hole in the bottom of the 2x4 steel - much quicker than a drill.....hmmmmm...another excuse!
Some trust in chassis, Some in Horsepower, But we trust in the Lord our God.

If it goes "boom" or "vroom" I'm intersted.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 03:48:06 PM »
I built my own.  For the steel plates I used old angle iron and I bought some 2x4 1/4" wall tubing.  A 2x4 fits perfect into it.  2x4 lumber can be bought cheap or I get them from construction sites scrap pile.  Easy to vary the height that way.  They take a lot of abuse before they fall apart.  Grade 5 carriage bolt - have yet to replace one.

The carriage bolts are bought from here and include a spring and nut.  I also bought my plates from here.
https://shootsteel.com/hardware-kit-for-static-target-holder/

I have not had any handgun bullets penetrate the steel stands that I made.  Rifle rounds will penetrate.  (so don't shoot it - yea - I know).  The steel plates have held up just as advertised. Very very good!

Have a bunch of Evon's targets. One from when they where a new company that is strictly a rifle target with hundreds of rounds of 5.56, 300 black out and 35 rem. Only pock mark in it was a 5.56 roufus round.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 06:09:15 AM »
My son just had to try 12ga slugs on my 10".

The 3/8 thick series 500 steel definitely took a dimple or 3.

:P

skin

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2020, 12:32:34 AM »
 A friend of mine reperposed swing sets. Has one at 25/50 yds and one at 100 yds. A bunch of steel plates on each at various hights and sizes.  Still uses some re bar and chain.