Author Topic: Advice to a newbie  (Read 3713 times)

Offline tater-bear

Advice to a newbie
« on: January 10, 2020, 10:03:04 PM »
I joined to get some non-biased ;) feedback that will help me make a decision on which CZ to purchase. My wants/needs are : home protection, bed-side table piece, accurate to point (iffy vision), smooth firing. My background with small arms - currently own a 1972 Colt Govmint Special 1911 .45 ACP.... heavy and loud.. accurate though... i earned expert with it at 25 yds on the gun range in the Coast Guard in 1973. Last 9mm I owned was an XDM about 4 yrs ago. I actually found the black on a 10" target at 100 yds. one day. It felt like a wimpy pistol. So about 2 yrs ago I read about the SP01. I never actually searched for one but then I stumbled upon one in Wyoming at a gun shop and I was so amazed at the feel, the mechanics, the trigger pull, the sights, etc... that I put it back on the counter immediately.I was in love. Fast forward to now. My son purchased a Glock 19 in spite of my urging to shop CZ, so I tried the Glock and it was NOT the gun for me. Nothing about it was right. Couldn't hit find the red at 15 feet!!!  I have yet to actually fire a CZ. The now also includes pouring over reviews and comparisons. Yesterday I went to the nearest CZ dealer (85mi) and they had a decent inventory. The CZ in Wyoming was the standard 75 SP01, yesterday the dealer had a Tactical, no phantoms, a few P09's,10F's, 07's, and a 10C... some .40 calibers as well....They all made my head swim and confused even me more. There is no place that I am aware of that sells CZ's and has a range to test house demos... I live in a CZ desert. so based on fit and feel i would rank accordingly 1-SP01 Tactical , then 09, then 10F.. I don't C&C but am considering in the  future.

Offline David0408

Re: Advice to a newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 10:53:30 PM »
I’m a newbie too. My first pistol was a SP-01 Tactical. I’ve found it to be a good stock gun. Good sights, great ergonomics, full frame, flat shooter, heavy DA, nice SA, nice reset etc. Then I got my LTC and needed something smaller. I bought a PCR. Good gun out of the box. Perfect size, terrible sights, terrible recurve trigger, flat shooter, heavy DA, nice SA, nice reset. I changed the sights, changed the grips, bought a 85 combat trigger, changed two springs (hammer spring and trigger return spring) and now the pistol is perfect! Or nearly perfect. If I had to do it all over knowing what I know now (which isn’t much), I’d pass on the SP-01 and buy the PCR from Cajun Gun Works with the Pro or Carry package. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 11:10:07 PM »
Can’t go wrong with any of them and the SP01 is a great HD and range gun. I don’t have an issue with the decoder system and the trigger can be tuned in to awesome. The P09 is very similar in feel to the SP just lighter. You also have the option of a DA trigger. The Phantom is like their kid, same SP01 Feel with the same trigger system without all the weight. Also uses standard 75 mags; cheaper and interchangeable with a future CZ purchase. P09 and P10 mags are different. Honestly I can’t even keep them straight anymore. The P10 has 3 versions! Doesn’t mean the P10 isn't a great option. Love it also. I have been wrestling with which ONE to convert to a red dot optic setup And it’s a tough choice. Like picking one kid goes to disneyland while everyone else is going to stay in the safe! I’m going with the P09 to start and get a P10C with the optic cut when they get back in stock.

My favorite CZ is my PCR. It’s a great carry gun and it practically aims itself.
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Ron M.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 09:01:09 AM »
Can't go wrong with the SP01 tactical. You might want to consider a P01 too. If you plan to get your CHL/LTC it can be a CCW and bedside gun. I do suggest you put a good light on your pistol if you intend to use for home defense.

Offline tater-bear

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 09:51:20 AM »
Thank you all for your feedback!! PCR ugrades from Cajun...hmmmm I'll consider that as well, never gave it much thought....

Offline TXGREEK

Advice to a newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 10:13:33 AM »
Thank you all for your feedback!! PCR ugrades from Cajun...hmmmm I'll consider that as well, never gave it much thought....

I’d highly recommend the SP 01 Tactical with a threaded barrel which gives you options on adding a suppressor especially for home defense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Here2learn

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 10:18:42 AM »
Think of the features you want and are used to.
Since your used to a gun with a safety, you might prefer a safety.  I didn't even know what a firearm safety was, for years, as revolvers didn't have them, and the handguns I dealt with, were either striker fired (no safety), or had a decocker.
I understand the reasoning behind a light, however I also understand the argument, that you don't want to be pointing the flashlight at something your not ready to shoot, or have ADW charges filed on you, and small rooms mean strong lights can glare off things and cause you issues.  However, if the mass of the rail gives you better balance, then it would still be an option.

Since you have a CZ dealer, do they have any of the "custom" guns (already have the work on the internals done?  Those models might limit you to those choices, then just need sights.
Do you have a carry preference?  How are you carrying?  That could affect your hammer verses striker preference, as well as metal verses polymer.
While my preference is a full size gun for home defense and a smaller, carry gun, if only one gun, how soon would you conceal carry, might make the smaller the better choice.  What your spouse likes/handles well, would be another consideration.  (she going shopping with you?)

Offline eastman

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 07:41:55 PM »
An SP-01 Tactical is a great first CZ. It will cover the uses in your first paragraph. If you decide you want a CC pistol, a P-07 is a good companion.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Criz

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 11:52:44 AM »
I'd lean towards a P0-1.  It will fit the bill for all your needs. 
I don't like how the P09 feels personally. 
The P10 is a striker so you are okay with that? 
I prefer hammers and metal frames but that is something you will figure out.
Army - 67N Crewchief
Italian Motorcycles
German Cars
Northwest Coast IPAs

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 07:50:58 AM »
My first CZ was the P01 which I probably should never have sold. I ended up doing a lot more target shooting than CC, so I swapped that for a SP01 Tac, which had identical controls. That gun is my go-to range gun. The ergos and weight are right for all-day shooting, and lots of options are available, some of which have found their way into my life.

Then I got a P07 plastic version and for all its good qualities and low price, just was not a good gun for me. I really didn't like the Omega system, mechanically speaking. My brother's P09 operates the same, but the larger size makes it feel even worse.

Against all better judgement, I was urged to try a P10c striker gun. That gun required an HBI trigger upgrade to prevent pinch within the first month. After that it has been smooth sailing. To my utter amazement it has become one of my all-time favorites to do any type of shooting. It's pure joy and I can't put the thing down. I've started hiking with it, as it's my preferred CC gun now. And I don't even like striker guns !!

:D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 05:42:29 AM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline TXGREEK

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 08:14:09 AM »
My first CZ was the P01 which I probably should never have sold. I ended up doing a lot more target shooting than CC, so I swapped that for a SP01 Tac, which had identical controls. That gun is my go-to range gun. The ergos and weight are right for all-day shooting, and lots of options are available, some of which have found their way into my life.

Then I got a P07 plastic version and for all its good qualities and low price, just was not a good gun for me. I really didn't like the Omega system, mechanically speaking. My brother's P09 operates the same, but feels even worse.

Against all better judgement, I was urged to try a P10c striker gun. That gun required an HBI trigger upgrade to prevent pinch within the first month. After that it has been smooth sailing. To my utter amazement it has become one of my all-time favorites to do any type of shooting. It's pure joy and I can't put the thing down. I've started hiking with it, as it's my preferred CC gun now. And I don't even like striker guns !!

:D

I’ve also heard great things about the P-01, more compact version of the SP-01. My CC is still my G22 with leather Galco holster and a my tricked out G19 as my pouch carry. I’d LOVE to find a CC holster for my SP-01, preferably a Galco but apparently it’s not available. I’ll be looking into the P-01 myself as soon as I get over this flu . Personally, I prefer the feel of an all metal pistol and prefer the full size frame as the weight of an all metal full size pistol doesn’t bother me especially one that feels so good in my hand. Does anyone know of a really nice, high end black leather shoulder holster available for the SP-01?

Offline TXGREEK

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 08:16:53 AM »
I'd lean towards a P0-1.  It will fit the bill for all your needs. 
I don't like how the P09 feels personally. 
The P10 is a striker so you are okay with that? 
I prefer hammers and metal frames but that is something you will figure out.

I’m really digging the feel of the SP-01 but interested in the P-01 as well as a CC.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 05:41:03 AM »
I’m really digging the feel of the SP-01, but interested in the P-01 as well as a CC.

CC is where the "rubber hits the road". IMHO, that's what makes the entire difference.

• At the time of its release, the P01 was the second most tested gun ever. Second only to the handguns that went through the US Defense Department's testing of the 1911 replacement, the 9mm Beretta. 30,000 round life minimum. All sorts of drop testing, temperature testing, shooting ergonomics testing, hit factors, overall weight, round capacity, etc, etc for European police duty. You'd do well to research this part. It's VERY impressive.

• The SP01 was the follow-on gun, available in decocker or safety versions. While both were intended as LEO guns, it's definitely not an all-day carry gun weight. This is a tactical response team gun. Meant for occasional carry, with its increased weight delivering optimal hit placement. It is not a good gun for civilian CC, because fully loaded, it's simply too heavy. It's loaded weight, while comforting at the range in competition, simply becomes a liability to effective daily concealment.

Bottom line, if your primary concern is effective and comfortable concealment, then the P01 is your gun. Simply put, after a week with an SP01 you would start looking for times not to carry it. Which, of course, defeats your intended use.

PS. If you want the larger range SP-01 size, in the lower carry weight of the P01, and cannot afford both guns, then look at the newest versions of the P07 as the best "fit for both worlds".

;)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 05:50:59 AM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 06:50:26 AM »
Carry concealed?  Why buy a big pistol?

Feel in your hand?  That's up to the buyer.  Some people like one pistol's "feel/fit" better than another.  Pick them up, hold them, see what feels good in your hand.

Reliability?  I haven't yet seen a totally unreliable CZ.  I've had one with an intermittent issue (feed jam) and polishing the feed ramp cured that.

Holsters?  Another individual thing - as well as an availability thing.  I've been through two or three holsters on a couple pistols before finding on that is "right" for that gun for the use (use means carrying it, whether concealed or open carry).  Some CZ's have a larger number/style of available holsters than other CZ pistols.  You'll have to do some research.

Magazines?  The CZ75 type steel/aluminum framed pistol magazines can be found for a lower price than the P07/P09/P10 pistols.

Accuracy?  I feel the need for smaller groups.  Most CZ's seem to be better than many other brands of pistols (ask my glock, browning, Springfield, M&P pistols why they stay in the safe) but it's still a sort of random thing.  I have two P09s and one is more accurate than the other.  I had two P07s and the one I still have is more accurate than the one I no longer have.

Upgrades, improvements?  The steel and aluminum framed CZ75 models have a wider array of upgrade parts available for them if you feel the need to enhance your pistol.  I have CZ's that have more money in them to upgrade them than they cost me at the dealer (RMRs, milling, back up sights, refinishing - not reliability or accuracy upgrades).  I have CZ's that I've only replaced sights on (I install night sights on my pistols I might be carrying).  I have some I've put some CGW parts into.  A couple with CZ USA parts.

Or, you can do like a lot of us has.  Buy one, buy a second, buy a third, etc., etc., etc.  Like the old Lays potato chip ads (sort of), "It's hard to have just one."
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Old-Duckman

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2020, 07:27:56 AM »
Lots of interesting comments and food for thought for you.
I am a big CZ fan although I have said many times on this forum that my SP01 Tactical is the least favorite CZ that I own. I don't own any poly CZ.

To get a "one size fits all" handgun is a hard thing to do IMO.

I'm going to go non-CZ with my suggestion and suggest you check out a Walther PPQ45. It is poly and striker fired. It has one of the best stock triggers for a striker fired handgun (not my opinion but that of many reviewers). In my personal handgun collection is ranks either #1 or #2 in those that I can fire accurately. I am a small person and carrying it in a Wright Leather Works "Predator Pancake" it is very easy to conceal and very comfortable to carry.

Enjoy the hunt and I am quite sure you will be looking for handgun number two before too long...Enjoy !