Author Topic: Interchangeable Magazines  (Read 3686 times)

Offline ARK208

• Boise, ID USA
Interchangeable Magazines
« on: January 12, 2020, 03:34:32 PM »
I have an SP-01 Phantom and would like to purchase a compact 9mm that will also accept those mags. Can someone please clarify which mags are interchangeable between models? Not just the SP-01 but all CZ handgun models...I was told by a local gun store that all striker fired guns take the same mags and all hammer fired guns take the same mags. This sounds great but also seems too good to be true...life is rarely that simple. Thanks!

Offline THarbison

Re: Interchangeable Magazines
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 04:08:36 PM »
There are a few hammer fired guns that take proprietary magazines. I know the Phantom magazine will work in a P-01 a Rami and a Shadow 2.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 04:22:11 PM »
You can use the full size pistol magazines (steel and aluminum framed models) in the compacts but you can't use the compact model magazines in the full sized pistols, they're too short for the full sized pistol frames.

So, your SP01 magazines should work in a CZ75 Compact, a PCR, a P01, a P01 Omega.

The only exception to that is the Tactical Sport magazines won't fit the smaller metal framed CZ's and the smaller metal framed CZ magazines won't fit the big Tactical Sport frames.

No idea about the Rami, don't own one.

Can't say anything (from experience) on the polymer framed striker fired guns but on the P07/P09 you can use the P09 magazines in the P07, but not the other way around.  The P07 magazines are too short to use in the taller P09 frame.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 04:29:01 PM »
The P-07 mags will not work in metal framed guns but the full size and compact metal framed mags will work in the P-07 although they fit a bit loosely they function plenty well enough for range use.

Offline ARK208

• Boise, ID USA
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 05:59:48 PM »
Looking at CZ's website it looks like the P-09 has been replaced by the P-10 and I don't see the Phantom listed at all.
I just had a thought though...I could go to a magazine supplier and see what they have listed as a sort of way of reverse engineering the question.  :)

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 09:34:27 PM »
Looking at CZ's website it looks like the P-09 has been replaced by the P-10 and I don't see the Phantom listed at all.
I just had a thought though...I could go to a magazine supplier and see what they have listed as a sort of way of reverse engineering the question.  :)
The Phantom has been discontinued again this year (not the first time). The P10 is a striker fired polymer pistol, the P09 is hammer fired polymer and is still being produced. The P07,09, and 10 mags will not work in metal framed CZ's. Everything you need to know about mag interchangeability has pretty much been mentioned above.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 09:47:53 PM »
The Phantom has been discontinued again this year (not the first time). The P10 is a striker fired polymer pistol, the P09 is hammer fired polymer and is still being produced. The P07,09, and 10 mags will not work in metal framed CZ's. Everything you need to know about mag interchangeability has pretty much been mentioned above.

Agreed.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 02:40:53 AM »
As stated above but short version:

Metal CZ use same mags other than obvious short mags won't work in full zize. They also fit Canik made guns with same stipulation. I carry Canik 100 (basically PCR with a safety) and a spare full size with plus 2 based for 19 rounds.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline ARK208

• Boise, ID USA
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 12:25:03 AM »
Are the CZ 75 pre-B and the CZ 75B mags the same?

Offline n8vmdpath

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 01:59:50 PM »
Checkout GregCote for answer to your question

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-factory-mecgar-actmag-c-173/cz-75b-cz-85b-cz-75-sp01-cz-shadow-2-17-rd-9mm-mgcz7517afc-p-591.html

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 07:33:58 PM »
The Pre'B mags are slightly smaller than B mags. The early mags will work in B models, but some later mags will get stuck in earlier Pre-B's.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 07:23:47 AM »
There is some variation in size even among the B model magazines.  Right at half of the ten or twelve 19 round Mecgars I've bought for the CZ75 Compacts and SA won't fit into my Pre B CZ85 (I opened up the mag. well prior to having it refinished and used a B model mag. to do the test fitting).

Variation is a thing you have to live with unless you have the money and time to make things perfect, every time.  Remember the old term from the 60's and 70's about car engines?  Balance and blue print.  If you wanted an engine to perform "above and beyond" normal you had to put the time and money into it to get rid of normal variation and make sure parts were within much tighter tolerances.

Yes, there were people with street legal cars in the 70's that would run under 10 seconds in the 1/4 mile.  But they were beasts with big engines forced into small cars.

A "balanced and blue printed" CZ would be an awesome shooter that would run longer with less parts breakage than an out of the box CZ - but it wouldn't be cheap.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

anything