Author Topic: Wrong spring ?  (Read 3013 times)

Offline Mark-combat

Wrong spring ?
« on: January 18, 2020, 05:42:04 PM »
I assume this spring for the CZ75,85, 97 B models standard/full size models  with integral firing pin safety is wrong for my 85combat ? since it looks too long ?
Wolff spring 53811  11lbs

« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 05:48:11 PM by Mark-combat »

Offline Tok36

Re: Wrong spring ?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 05:56:56 PM »
Different springs can be different lengths. It may also take a set and be a bit shorter after some use. I would try it out and see how it runs as long as things feel alright once you install it.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 07:24:05 PM »
Does the 85 Combat have a firing pin block/safety like the CZ75B or CZ85B?

I thought those were made more along the lines of the CZ75 Tactical Sport, with a 1911 like firing pin retaining plate at the back of the slide?
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Tok36

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 07:52:51 PM »
Does the 85 Combat have a firing pin block/safety like the CZ75B or CZ85B?

I thought those were made more along the lines of the CZ75 Tactical Sport, with a 1911 like firing pin retaining plate at the back of the slide?

CZ85 Combat has no FPB, the FP retaining set up is like a Shadow/TS. Same recoil spring as the rest of the 75's though.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Mark-combat

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 04:23:20 AM »
it indeed has no firing pin block, but the springs are the same as in a normal 75B ?

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 06:32:32 AM »
The hammer spring, sear spring, recoil spring, trigger return spring should be the same between a CZ75B and CZ85, like yours.

Sometimes people replace/substitute springs.  They replace the hammer and recoil and even the trigger return springs with a lower powered spring.  Those may be shorter or smaller spring wire diameter.  There are pros and cons to spring replacement, so do some firing of your pistol and some research on the reasons for spring changes before doing it.  You want your pistol to remain reliable with the ammo you shoot through it.

And, wear/use can make s spring, like the recoil spring, shorter over time.  As it's used it becomes weaker and shorter.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Mark-combat

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 11:06:05 AM »
ok, the spring came with the gun as spare, 11lb so lighter than the 16 it is Original as I understand, since it is only used for competition that means I can use lighter loads, not sure if I want to do that yet, but if I get trouble with lighter loads I could try it.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 06:40:42 PM »
I can tell you that my CZ85 (Pre B), my P09 (9MM) and my Compact CZs (P01 Omegas and CZ75 Compacts) all function fine with Federal 115 grain FMJ, Winchester 115 grain FMJ, various 147 grain reloads (some tumbled - does that mean they were too low velocity/light load to sping fast enough??) and the fairly hot 115 grain hollow points I reload for them.  I've shot a few 147 grain Winchester hollow points in one of my P01s but the group was bad enough I don't need to shoot anymore of them.

I guess what I'm saying is the factory springs on several full sized and compact CZ's seem to handle just about everything.

If I understand, correctly, people go to a lighter recoil spring to slow the slide down as it moves forward to keep the muzzle from dropping as the slide stops in it's forward travel. 

A lighter hammer spring reduces the double action trigger pull effort.

All mine have the factory recoil and hammer springs in them, are set up with safeties and I shoot them SA.  I really have little to no idea what the DA trigger pull is like on them.  The factory hammer springs are fine with me.

Offline Mark-combat

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 01:58:16 AM »
well in theory when you use lighter loads your muzzle will have less flip, but the slide will not function properly(too much tension for the slide to come back fast), so you use a lighter spring, that also reduces the drop of the muzzle when the slide comes back to the front.

this is helpfull when shooting ipsc or Service pistol/militairy pistol and all kinds of paper targets.

is it helpfull for me, I dont know, last night I distroyed my Lee press trying to convert it from 357 to 9mm so I have not made my own reloads for 9mm

Offline hansb57

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 03:06:49 AM »
There is one thing about the CZ community that I don't understand.
Everybody wants the best gun, buys the best or most expensive parts. A lot of users have boxes full of pare parts, but nobody seems to care about measuring spring pressure.
I have about a dozen (new) hammer and recoil spring springs where a 12 pound hammer spring from manufacturer X was 3 pounds heavier then a 12 pound spring from manufacturer Z. The same goes for recoil springs.
It is if somebody has a bunch of camshafts without specs, put them in there engine and say "ah, that feels a lot better"
I understand that it doesn't matter what spring you run as long as it gives you the proper result but to me it sounds so unscientific and it makes it hard to replace springs with any certainty.
If you look at 1911 forums, there it seems to be an issue.

(my post is NOT aimed at anybody in this thread, just an item I can't grasp)

Offline painter

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 02:36:35 PM »
I use ejection distance to choose recoil springs.

If the casing falls at your feet, the recoil spring is too stiff. If it gets ejected in to the next county, it's too light. If it lands about 6-8 feet away...close enough.

For hammer springs I use a spring just heavy enough to insure reliable ignition with my Kadet kit.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Mark-combat

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 01:32:04 PM »
I use ejection distance to choose recoil springs.

If the casing falls at your feet, the recoil spring is too stiff. If it gets ejected in to the next county, it's too light. If it lands about 6-8 feet away...close enough.

For hammer springs I use a spring just heavy enough to insure reliable ignition with my Kadet kit.

I must remember that, 6-8 feet :-) since I have no way to measure the actual strenght of the spring

anything