Author Topic: Defense Ammo?  (Read 3482 times)

Offline OregonPCR

Defense Ammo?
« on: April 01, 2004, 05:05:05 AM »
New PCR Owner!!!!

Went to a local Gun Show in Eugene OR last weekend. Was planning on purchasing a 75B. Came across a new PCR, picked it up, got out my checkbook, never looked back!

Going out for the first shoot tomorrow...

Have been lurking here in the PCR club for a few days. The knowledge and experience I've found here is astounding!

Would like to hear from other members on their preferred defense round for concealed carry. I happen to have a box of Federal Hydrashock JHP 147 grain and they seem to feed fine. I also have a box of Corbon +P that seem to jam everything up. I'll give those away...

Please let me know your opinions on defense Ammo for the PCR.

Thanks in Advance and Great to find a resource like this.

OregonPCR

Offline ut83

Defense Ammo?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 05:39:09 AM »
Honestly 9mm def. ammo is all pretty bleep good......Id stick with a middle weight  124/135 range and stick with a good JP design.....Dots/Sabers/Corbon.  

Ive shot 16 CZ's with Corbon and havent had a problem with it......try it.  Id be scepticle about the 147's from a 5" barrel gun as they overpenetrate but from the 3.9" PCR Barrel you may need the weight if they arent +P's.

Shoot well.

Offline Boogalou

Defense Ammo?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 06:43:54 PM »
Today for the first time I shot some Remington Golden Sabers out of the PCR with no problem.  I've also used the standard Remington JHP's and the PCR feeds them fine.

CZ57

Defense Ammo?
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 11:24:11 AM »
I am a fan of the Remington 124 gr. Golden Sabre and use them in handloads. I just bought a P-01 and worked it out with Speer 124 gr. +P Gold Dot factory loads and performance was great. I would shy away from the 147's because the overpenetration problems are due to poor expansion/performance at subsonic velocities (Cor-Bon did once market a supersonic load).

Cor-Bon 115 gr. +P 9mm is loaded very short and does perform sporadically in some pistols, my previous experience with it was in a Sig-Sauer P-226 which will feed anything and I had no problems with it except mediocre accuracy.

With a short barreled pistol my philosophy is to use the fastest load possible witha reliable JHP to compensate for the loss of velocity, which varies and is dependent on the powder speed the ammo maker is using. Exotic hollowpoints are not mandatory as history has shown with the one shot stop data. I am now handloading the Remington 115 Gr. JHP with Hodgdon HS-6 for the P-01 to duplicate one of the best factory loads if you can find them; the Remington 115 gr. +P+ JHP. The Federal or Winchester equivalent would also be worthwile. If you opt for +P 124's with the Gold Dots or Golden Sabres you will be well armed as well.

Regards to all, K

Offline OregonPCR

Defense Ammo?
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 09:00:55 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. Great information that's appreciated.

The Corbons I have are 115gr +P and they ALL jam in the barrel and lock the slide about 1/4" from closed. Very difficult to remove!

On another note - Has anybody had any experience with the Federal EFMJ's?

They look very interesting. Good velocity, good expansion, and don't seem to tend to over-penetrate. Price isn't bad either...

The Corbon Powerballs look pretty similar, but my last experience with the Corbon's make me a little leery...

Thanks

sailorlite

Defense Ammo?
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 09:15:25 PM »
I've shot only 50 rds. of the Federal EFMJ through my 75BD.  All I can say from that is that all 50 fed and extracted properly.