Author Topic: CGW makeover...or just buy a TSO?  (Read 4286 times)

Offline Kidfixer

CGW makeover...or just buy a TSO?
« on: January 25, 2020, 10:15:43 PM »
I have a 75 Omega in 9mm that I've always enjoyed shooting...until I shot my buddy's Tactical Sport Orange.  WOW, what a difference.  My groupings were so much tighter with the TSO, and my speed and accuracy greatly improved on the plate rack.   Now I want one, but wondering if I can get the same performance out of my existing 75 by sending it off to CGW for an overhaul. 

Anyone here know roughly what it would cost to get a regular 75 "Cajunized" to the point it would on par with a TSO?  I certainly dont want to spend $1500 in upgrade work to have a pistol with HALF the resale value of a factory TSO.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Offline aandabooks

Re: CGW makeover...or just buy a TSO?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 11:40:04 PM »
You can't get the weight into a regular SP01 type gun to get to a TSO quality gun.  I have a SP01 that is fully worked over and when I put the 9mm top end on the TSO it is still a better pistol.  The single action trigger makes the TSO that much better.  You can get your trigger down around 2.5-3lbs and setoff primers in SA but it is still going to be a longer trigger pull and heavier than the TSO right out of the box. 

Start saving now for the TSO.  There is going to be a flood of them come on the used market when the DWX finally shows up.  Be ready to snag one in the $1200-$1300 range.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 11:44:56 PM »
   I own both 75's and a Tac Sport. In my opinion the TS and TSO are different animals to the 75's. A TS is heaver and the weight is distributed differently. The Tac Sports is SAO with a simpler trigger system than the Omega or the Classic 75. The hammer is different as well as using a rather heavy hammer spring. The sear cage of a TS is spring loaded to stabilize it in the frame.

One can do many things to clean up and improve a 75 trigger but i do not believe that you can get it to feel like a Tac Sport. If you really want a pistol that shoots like a Tac Sport acquiring one may be the only way.

I made some posts a while back pertaining to the differences in a 75 variant and a TS. You can see pictures of some of what i am talking about in these. Here are some links.

What is a CZ Tactical Sport? My Observations.
https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=70860.0;topicseen

What is a CZ Tactical sport? Part.2 The CZ-TS Sear Cage.
https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=95980.msg738052#msg738052
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Kidfixer

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 12:20:15 AM »
Well, that answers my question about the Omega. 

The DWX is a no-go for me.  Although I love my DW 1911's I have ZERO use for accessory rails on anything except my dedicated HD weapon, I prefer the aesthetics of a smooth frame (or "dust cover" to which it has been more recently referred).

New question...TSO, or Custom Shop AO1-LD for range toy?

Offline Tanners Owner

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 11:08:40 AM »

The DWX is a no-go for me.  Although I love my DW 1911's I have ZERO use for accessory rails on anything except my dedicated HD weapon, I prefer the aesthetics of a smooth frame (or "dust cover" to which it has been more recently referred).

I believe the DWX comes with both a railed and non railed version
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline nonamehavei

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 04:32:02 PM »

I believe the DWX comes with both a railed and non railed version
The video I have seen from the CZ booth at shot says 4 models, 2 full size one in 9 and 1 in .40, and 2 compacts one railed one without both in 9, so if he was looking for a compact no rail he will be in luck. As to the OPs original question, I loooooove cajunized CZs I have 6 of them, but the TSO is a completely different animal altogether.
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.
    Douglas Adams

Offline aandabooks

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 06:59:11 PM »

I have not handled the A01 yet but they are listed at 51oz which is heavier than the TSO.  They just released a .40 version of the A01 but the 9mm would be my pick if I were in the market.  I'm not sure that the extra weight is that big of a deal over say a worked over S2 that is $400 cheaper new. 

It doesn't seem that you compete with your handguns so with that in mind if you are looking to buy yourself a nice CZ range gun in 9mm my pick would be a Cajunized S2 if you want the DA/SA trigger.  Hands down the TSO if you want the best trigger out of the box. 

If you are ever thinking about competing then the only way I'd buy a TSO is in .40. 

Offline Kidfixer

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 10:04:23 PM »

<snip>

If you are ever thinking about competing then the only way I'd buy a TSO is in .40.

I doubt I will ever compete.  I'm not sure I could be competitive at my age, being that I didn't buy my first pistol until I was 48 (in 2013).  I always had a fascination for firearms, and was able to use them in the military in my youth.  But there was a long period (from 1987 to 2013)  that I did not have a firearm.  When I got divorced I decided to follow my passion and started buying them like crazy!! However, I'm pretty far behind the 8-Ball compared to 99% of the shooters out there...my vision is not what it used to be and my hand-eye coordination is only going to diminish from here. 

However, I do love plinking steel at my gun club...and I love high-end pistols

Offline George16

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 08:46:40 AM »
It’s never too late. I’ll be 53 next month and I just started competing a year and a half ago. It’s been a very enjoyable experience. Majority of the people I have seen are in their 50’s and doing just as good as a 20 or 30 year old. What I like the most though is the camaraderie amongst the competitors. It’s like being a kid again albeit with very expensive and “dangerous” toys.

I have a TSO in 9mm which I use in 2 Gun, shadow 2 with red dot for Carry optics and 2 MPX for USPSA’s PCC division. All of these firearms have red dots because my vision has deteriorated significantly and the iron sights are just a blur.

Get the TSO.

Offline JNW

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 12:11:28 PM »
You want a range gun.  Get a 9mm TSO.  You can get a CZ Custom frame mount and easily install a red dot to see if you like it.  My TSO has the mount and Trijicon SRO on top. My fancy 1911s sit in the safe unloved since I got my TSO.  Its just awesome!
I'm intrigued by the forthcoming DWX.  It's significantly lighter than a TSO and does not have the hand fitting a TSO does.  It will have a factory trigger over 4 pounds and will require a bit of work to get it down to anywhere near a TSO's pull weight.  So, I am thinking I need a backup to my TSO as I prefer the bigger grip of the TSO to a 1911.   I may just buy another TSO when the market is "flooded" with used ones later this year.
Jeff

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 12:24:05 PM »

<snip>

I doubt I will ever compete.  I'm not sure I could be competitive at my age, being that I didn't buy my first pistol until I was 48 (in 2013).  I always had a fascination for firearms, and was able to use them in the military in my youth.  But there was a long period (from 1987 to 2013)  that I did not have a firearm.  When I got divorced I decided to follow my passion and started buying them like crazy!! However, I'm pretty far behind the 8-Ball compared to 99% of the shooters out there...my vision is not what it used to be and my hand-eye coordination is only going to diminish from here. 

You will love both even more if you would start to compete...….I think. I am older then you are and I enjoy the challenge and comradery of shooting competitions. I don't care  so much about being the best out there I care about doing the best I can and getting better all the time. Which doesn't always happen. Personally I enjoy my guns and I too like high end pistols but I really appreciate them more when I am competing. You should at least give it a try and tell me I am wrong. Just a thought.

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline George16

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 12:44:08 PM »

<snip>

You will love both even more if you would start to compete...….I think. I am older then you are and I enjoy the challenge and comradery of shooting competitions. I don't care  so much about being the best out there I care about doing the best I can and getting better all the time. Which doesn't always happen. Personally I enjoy my guns and I too like high end pistols but I really appreciate them more when I am competing. You should at least give it a try and tell me I am wrong. Just a thought.

RCG

Couldn’t agree more.

It’s easy to get addicted to it. I always look forward to seeing the same guys 3 Saturday’s a month and just enjoy shooting and b’sing with them   ;D.

Offline Kidfixer

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 12:40:38 AM »
Perhaps I should give competition a try.  My biggest obstacle will be my availability as I usually work every Fri, Sat and Sun.  Having Mon-Thurs off has always been to my advantage as I've never had to wait for a bay at the gun range or a tee time on a public golf course during a weekday.   The downside is I'm usually doing these things alone because most all my buddies have Mon-Fri 9-to-5 gigs.

However, I can always request a vacation day.

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2020, 02:22:54 PM »
We have matches every other Tuesday and every Wednesday here.

You would be golden.

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline Kidfixer

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2020, 09:33:54 PM »
We have matches every other Tuesday and every Wednesday here.

You would be golden.

RCG

You dont happen to be in the DFW-area, do you?

anything