Author Topic: Safariland 578 GLS Pro-Fit Holster  (Read 2250 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Safariland 578 GLS Pro-Fit Holster
« on: August 28, 2020, 05:27:24 PM »
Went to Cabela's today for no particular reason.  Mostly just enjoy driving the car(s).

I was wondering around in the gun accessory section when I noticed the Safariland holsters.  I have some (FNS, M&P, XD) but the ones for the P07 and P09 are harder to come by.  I also like the drop leg holsters.  I've been carrying the 4" FNS .40 for months in a Safariland drop leg holster (one of the security holsters with the hood and the pivoting strap over the back of the pistol slide).

I saw that 578 and took a look.  Hey, it's lists the P09 as one of the holsters it fits (multi pistol holster, comes with a shim to tighten up left/right looseness and an adjusting screw on the rear of the holster to tighten up front/rear slop.  It is a belt holster (paddle installed, belt loop attachment/adaptor in the package.)

I opened the container and sure enough, it attached to the paddle with the 3 screw triangular pattern like the drop leg holsters attach to the leg plate.  I bought it.

Came home, and put the P09 in the holster and adjusted it.  Nice fit.  Then I found the P09 magazines would not fit in the pouch (also Safariland) for the FNS .40 magazines).  So, I did a right turn.  Grabbed the P07 (my EDC concealed pistol with the RMR and suppressor sights) and it fit, too.  No contact between the holster and the back up sights or the RMR.  And the magazines fit the mag. pouch.  Onlly issue was the new holster must sit farther back as the magazine pouch had to be removed from it's rearward attachment position to allow the holster to attach.  The good news is the mag. pouch fits on the front attachment points since the new holster is offset to the rear more than the FNS holster.  And, as the FNS 4 and 5" pistols use a 14 round magazine so the P07 12 round mags. with the +2s on them fit just right.  So, around the property I can carry the P07 .40 with the same number of rounds at the FNS .40 but with accuracy the FNS has been unable to match.  Yeah, happy camper right now.  I'm already thinking about a "back up" P07.

Pictures.  Oh, looks like my FNS pistols are headed to the safe and the P07 will be my every day carry pistol, not just concealed carry.  Means I'll have to do more work keeping it clean since i tend to get them really dirty crawling around working on cars, the lawnmower, trimming, mowing, etc.

You can see the gap between the RMR and the front/top of the holster and the tall front sight channel.

You can see the RMR clearance with the mag. pouch mounted up front.

I didn't get a picture of the "button" on the left side of the pistol that releases it from the holster.  The pistol cannot fall out of the holster.  The button is contacted by the middle finger of the right hand as you grab the pistol grip and moved forward to release the pistol.  Had the same set up on the M&P holster (in addition to the pivoting strap behind the slide) but I took it off to make using/drawing the M&P the same as drawing the FNS.

They make these that fit P01s, too.  Saw one.  Didn't buy it though.  Figured I'd try this one out for a bit before I worry about other pistols.  The holster "kit" also comes with extra screws, a neat little t handled allen wrench, instruction, etc.

I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Honcho

Re: Safariland 578 GLS Pro-Fit Holster
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 07:58:57 AM »
Hi M1A4ME

I also bought this holster as Safariland's web site listed that the P09 would fit. I have not been able to adjust it to fit as it seems the P09 is just to wide. Did you only use the adjustment screw to allow your P09/P07 to fit?
CZ P09 FDE
CZ P10C Suppressor Ready

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 08:17:05 AM »
There's a small shim that fits inside the holster where the trigger guard slides in.  The shim (as well as the allen wrench and some extra screws and the belt clip) should be in the plastic bag in the package.

I should have taken some pictures of all that stuff, but I didn't.

The shim controls the side to side movement while the screw in the back of the holster controls the front to back movement.

I'll go take mine apart and get pictures of the shim and where/how it fits.

Edited to remove some text about using washers that didn't apply to putting this holster on the safariland leg drop plate/rig.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 08:50:40 AM by M1A4ME »
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 09:32:29 AM »
Locking/release mechanism, three screws that hold it in place and clamp the holster together and the shim.

The shim is oriented like this picture when placing it into the locking/release mechanism.  The post has a mushroom head on it.  The slot in the locking/release mechanism is larger on one end.  Insert the pin into the l/r mech. from the inside and push towards the end where the slot narrows so that the shim is locked in place.

Locking/release mechanism with the shim held in the slot by the mushroom head/tapered slot.

The locking/release mechanism in the holster.  The long screw goes through the locking/release mechanism and the two shorter screws go in the other two holes.  All three clamp the holster closed but aren't used to loosen/tighten the holster.  And, they are philips head screws, not allen screws.

That long shiny screw is the adjustment screw that presses a piece of poymer into the bottom of the trigger guard to tighten up the front to back fit of the pistol in the holster.  Used the same allen screw as the ones that attach the holster to the paddle or the leg drop plate.

I have noticed that (at least while it's new/breaking in) you have to insure the holster has grabbed the pistol.  I hear a small click when I insert the pistol that made me think it was locked in.  It was not.  I sometimes grab the pistol grip and pull to make sure the pistol is secure and found it would pull out without pressing the release button.  Fiddled with it a bit and found out a more forceful insertion press into the holster followed by an upwards tug on the grip will tell me that the pistol is locked in.  No issues getting it to release with the button when grabbing the pistol grip to remove the pistol from the holster.

Ordered another leg drop plate/system last night for another holster.  These same holsters are supposed to fit the CZ75 and P01, too.  I want to have the option of carrying a different handgun without having to make adjustments to the holster.  Grab the holster/rig and the pistol for it and head outside.

Offline MynameisEarl

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 10:31:02 AM »
This is a nice holster, I’ve been using one for my P01 and liked it so much that I picked one up for my 92 LTT.
SP01 tactical
75b SA
P01
P01 steel
PCR
75 compact
Scorpion evo pistol
Rami BD

Offline Honcho

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 10:36:40 AM »
Thanks for the detailed response. Adding the shim did allow the locking mechanism to engage on the P09. However drawing and re-holstering the P09 still does seem to take a good bit of force. I can confirm this holster works great for my P10C(minus the shim). All and all not a bad option for the price.
CZ P09 FDE
CZ P10C Suppressor Ready

Offline POC911

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 11:26:49 PM »
This is a great holster. I have the compact version. It fits a XD9 without the shim. With the shim, it fits P01, PCR and P09. The barrel of the P09 sticks out about 1/2 inch.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

anything