Author Topic: First shots, 7.62x39 AR and TA47 at 100 yards  (Read 1433 times)

Offline Cyanide

First shots, 7.62x39 AR and TA47 at 100 yards
« on: November 17, 2020, 05:43:51 PM »
Nothing spectacular, just a few quick shots with my CMMG Mk4 at 100 yards from unsupported prone after getting a good 36 yard zero (rounds should be impacting about 3.1” high at 100 yards).  Figure not too terrible since the TA47’s reticle is a large 9.2 MOA triangle, and I’m using the tip of the triangle as my aiming point. Ammo used was cheap steel case Tula 8M3.

View of my backstop at 130 yards (I can only shoot a maximum of 100 yards, however). For reference, the black box painted on the cardboard measures 14” W x 9” H, which is what the illuminated red vertical part of the reticle is superimposed on.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 06:15:11 PM by Cyanide »

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: First shots, 7.62x39 AR and TA47 at 100 yards
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 07:20:00 PM »
Triangular "dot" isn't easy to use for precise shooting.

I have a DP Pro on an AR15 pistol.  My wife had it on a CZ75 Compact and hated it.  She preferred the dot DP Pro.

It's not easy to put that point on the same spot every time.

I have a SUIT (not many around these days, but I like them a lot) has a pointer that comes down from the top of the image you see through the lens.  It's wider at the top and tapers down to a point in the center of the view/lens.  My AR15, at 300 yds. shoots about a 4" wide by 6" tall group.  I think the oval group is due to the difficulty of getting that sharp point on the same spot of the target every time.

Not that a big glowing circle is any easier if you were trying to shoot a ground hog in the head at any distance.  I have red dots on several ARs, but for the best groups/shooting I prefer a scope.

You say that's a CMMG rifle?  Don't they make one with a lower receiver that uses AK magazines?  I've been thinking about something like that.  Iv'e got the AK magazines but I'd have to buy those curvy looking AR magazines if I got the version it looks like you've got.

If you can find some, try some Silver Bear 7.62X39.  I saw a guy shooting really nice groups with some of that one day.  Way better than what his rifle shot with Tula or Wolf ammo.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Cyanide

First shots, 7.62x39 AR and TA47 at 100 yards
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 10:23:07 PM »
M1A4ME, yep, that huge triangle (tip) doesn’t lend itself to precision for sure! Eventually this TA47 is getting replaced with a TA44 (Red Ring & Dot), and it will end up on my wife’s Russian-chambered AR, and mine will wear a TA33 w/7.62x39 BDC Horseshoe Dot.

Yes, CMMG makes the Mutant which takes AK mags. I had one briefly and although I loved the concept at first, the luster wore off quick. Most of the mags I had for my WASR-10 and PSAK-47 were equipped with BHO followers and functioned flawlessly in this pair, but for some reason the Mutant would choke on them like clockwork. I’m also not a fan of having to use the AR charging handle to cycle the action after every mag change, compared to using a traditional AK/VZ side lever.

I’ve got tons of the 8M3 and also my preferred round, the Golden Tiger 124 gr FMJBT.

Offline pbellp2012

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 10:50:58 AM »
Have you ever tried an ACSS reticle? I love those on my x39s.

Offline Cyanide

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 11:22:09 AM »
Have you ever tried an ACSS reticle? I love those on my x39s.
No, I haven’t. I was able to look through one a friend has and to me, it was too “busy”. The green horseshoe and dot reticle offered on the TA33 is what I’m going with in the future on mine.

Offline KnightSchneider

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 08:39:22 PM »
I’ll second the ACSS reticle.

I have one calibrated for 7.62x39 on my 527, and it’s a stellar pair.

Lots of the benefit of the chevron, but precise as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some will die in hot pursuit in fiery auto crashes.
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes.
Some will fall in love with life, and drink it from a fountain, that's pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.