Author Topic: Polymer guide rod warp  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Macgruber81

Polymer guide rod warp
« on: November 23, 2020, 03:22:59 PM »
I’ve noticed on some of the CZ compact models, the polymer guide rod seems to stick out at different angles when the slide is locked back.   Why aren’t they always straight and is this an issue/normal?

Offline briang2ad

Re: Polymer guide rod warp
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 04:30:10 PM »
Polymer rods are not an issue.  Some people don’t like them and replace.

Offline jurek

• NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 04:47:21 PM »
I’ve noticed on some of the CZ compact models, the polymer guide rod seems to stick out at different angles when the slide is locked back.   Why aren’t they always straight and is this an issue/normal?

Yes, this is normal.
And yes, I'm one of these who don't like them.... ;D

Offline Tok36

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 05:20:23 PM »
It is only an issue if you allow your brain to make it an issue. It is arguable, that the polymer guide rods act as a buffer, while a material with less or no give like steel dose not.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Macgruber81

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 07:44:16 PM »
I was figuring it had to be as my CZ’s have run flawlessly, but wanted to make sure.  Thanks all.  Was gonna get a stainless one, but heard they can mark up the insides and damage the finish.   

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 05:05:21 AM »
I was figuring it had to be as my CZ’s have run flawlessly, but wanted to make sure.  Thanks all.  Was gonna get a stainless one, but heard they can mark up the insides and damage the finish.   
I've had stainless steel guide rods in all my CZ's for years and THOUSANDS of rounds and they have not caused ANY damage of ANY kind.

Offline Macgruber81

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 11:47:30 PM »
That’s comforting to hear

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 10:15:32 AM »
It is only an issue if you allow your brain to make it an issue. It is arguable, that the polymer guide rods act as a buffer, while a material with less or no give like steel dose not.

The only advantage for a steel rod is adding some weight to the front end.  I don't need it.

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 11:14:20 AM »

The only advantage for a steel rod is adding some weight to the front end.  I don't need it.
No not the only advantage. It removes the cheap plastic part engineered by some tightwad bean counter. Like the poorly engineered failure prone hollow guide rods Sig uses.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 11:40:07 AM »
If polymer was a newly invented material, people would be calling the CZ poly guide rod, Super Scientific Space Magic.

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 03:21:33 PM »
If polymer was a newly invented material, people would be calling the CZ poly guide rod, Super Scientific Space Magic.
. Bravo!

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 05:05:17 PM »
. Bravo!

But polymer isn't a newly invented material it is a fancy word invented in the last 30 years or so to make plastic sound like something more special than what it really is that being Cheap. Just like the word patina is used as a descriptor for something like a beat up old car or a rusted gun with the intention of making it sound like something other than the abhorrent junk that it is.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 05:47:29 PM »
   I hear you, the point is, that simply being manufactured out of plastic/polymer dose not make it a bad part. If it did not serve its purpose in some way that was related to the material it is made of, then i could see peoples gripe.

I can see why some CZ owners prefer a metal guide rod, but this dose not mean that the factory poly guide rod is inherently bad. The poly guide rods have proven to me that they do the job that they are intended to do. To me this means that people generally replace them due to their personal preference and not because it was necessary to ensure the proper function of their CZ.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 07:56:02 PM by Tok36 »

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 07:34:52 PM »
There is NO reason to switch because they are somehow not as good in function as a steel rod.  Read the Enos forum. Guys who shoot tens of thousands of rounds find that they last and work fine. 

Offline Tok36

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 08:04:58 PM »
   I can think of one CZ that might require a metal guide rod to maintain function. The full auto CZ 75. If you ran a poly guide rod in a CZ 75 Auto and ran enough consecutive rounds through it, the poly guide rod might melt.

I have seen a few examples of full auto Glocks melting their factory poly guide rods.

anything