Author Topic: CZ-45 Date of Manufacture.  (Read 3888 times)

Offline emcitent

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
CZ-45 Date of Manufacture.
« on: January 07, 2021, 10:20:49 PM »
I have a CZ-45 with a "46" just at front of trigger guard, black grips, & "STRAKONICE" on left side. Is there somewhere I can go to verify the date of manufacture? Does anyone have a list? I have done a Search through this Forum and came up with nothing. Is it safe to assume the "46" means it was made in 1946? I bought it in late 80's as a collectible only, and I may have fired a few rounds through it to verify it worked. Appreciate any direction for a newbie!
Photo-1:(from Prime Photos?)

Thank you!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 11:18:33 PM by emcitent, Reason: Fixing Picture link. »
Jim - Salutem Primum!
(Hair same as BW. :)

GMork

Re: CZ-45 Date of Manufacture.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 12:34:32 PM »
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 04:03:38 AM by GMork »

Offline emcitent

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 02:26:19 PM »
Yes, it is a Lion in front of the 46, and it appears to be standing on hinds legs! (Never zoomed in before). I guess if there was a list of serial numbers per years, it would be posted somewhere already. The reason I'd like to know exact date of manufacture, is that if it is Pre-46, it can be transferred to my wife or daughter and they'll get the 12.7 Prohib designation on their Restricted PALs (Canada).

Re: the Photos, I followed instructions I read and uploaded Photos to a Picture site; first Flickr, the Amazon Photos. Both allowed me to generate the Photo URL for copying into a Forum, like this one. I tried a few times, but no success. The COPY did not put the "http:" at the front of the URL; Was I suppose to add it? Do I need to turn on a "Share" permission somewhere?

Appreciate the response! Thank you, stay safe & shoot straight!
Jim - Salutem Primum!

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 02:33:19 PM »
You posted the wrong link. The one you want is found by clicking on the individual picture in your album, then right clicking and selecting 'view image'. You then copy the address of that picture and put it between the 'img' tags.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

GMork

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 03:51:44 PM »
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 04:03:54 AM by GMork »

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 03:57:59 PM »
Clear your cache

@ Grendel
I can't see the pictures in your reply as well.

@ emcitent
According to your description of the stamped lion, it is clear even without a picture that the number 46 belongs to the proof test.
So your CZ 45 was tested in 46 and most likely manufactured.
But maybe the CZ factory has still some details about the serial numbers and the belonging manufacturing dates and you send a request to them.
Here's the respective English website of CZ in the Czech Republic with a corresponding form for requests:
https://www.czub.cz/en/contacts/
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

GMork

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 05:36:21 PM »
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 04:04:06 AM by GMork »

Offline emcitent

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 06:00:10 PM »
Ha!  I now see the pictures on my Samsung Smartphone!!! But still not on NEW Laptop using Chrome! I cleared partial cache, but now to try entire Cache.

Also, I went to CZ Web Site and used Form to request the manufacture date. I'll report back when they answer me. Fingers crossed.  :D

Update: Did deeper Cache clear in Chrome, and still nothing.  Trying again here...

Nothing??? It is in Grendel's first REPLY that I actually see the pictures in the thread from my Samsung.  Curious???

Update 2: Found this:  http://www.freeexistence.org/vz45.html
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 07:52:18 PM by emcitent »
Jim - Salutem Primum!

GMork

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 03:56:29 AM »
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 04:04:19 AM by GMork »

Offline Palmetto Marsh

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 07:38:22 AM »
What might help is this serial number build info

1946 -  reported serial number range 133204-143961 per Cold War Pistols of Czechoslovakia book from James D Brown

Offline emcitent

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 11:15:44 AM »
My Serial number is 34,772.  Possibly 1945 manufacture, '46 testing?

Appreciate all the INFO!!!  The book is $79 CDN on Amazon.ca.
Jim - Salutem Primum!

Offline Palmetto Marsh

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 08:11:52 AM »
Based upon the serial number it does not look like it's a CZ45 but could be a DUO or better yet a CZ36..  Best to get some pics on the blog or do some more research as this pistol group DUO, 36, 45 can be challenging to identify.
Good luck

Offline Palmetto Marsh

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 08:27:54 AM »
Here's some more info from another blog! You just have to google the H out of the web sites and there is a lot of info you can research.

The Germans took over the factory after Hitler occupied Czechoslovakia, and they kept the CZ 36 in production until 1942. War-era CZ 36 pistols may have the markings of German dealers like Geco (Gustave Genschow Company). The Germans made the manual safety a required feature.

With the war's end and Ceska Zbrojovka's return to Czech management, in 1945 CZ 36 production resumed briefly when Czechoslovakia's armed forces ordered 11,000. Ceska Zbrojovka delivered these in 1946, and in all, the company built an estimated 30,000 CZ 36 pistols.
By then company designer Jan Kratochvil had redesigned the CZ 36, notably by eliminating the manual safety once and for all and adding a magazine safety. However, the external appearance and mechanical operation remained much the same. The resultant CZ 45 remained in production until 1970 and enjoyed extensive worldwide sales. CZ 45 production far outstripped the CZ 36's; by the time the communists took over Czechoslovakia in early 1948, Ceska Zbrojovka had already made about as many CZ 45s as the entire CZ 36 production run.

Offline emcitent

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 01:37:03 PM »
Thanks Palmetto!  I'll work on fixing the picture posting (tried everything???) and I will also examine entire pistol for markings, and try to get some Macro-pics if I find anything. 

Should Amazon Photos be good for sharing links, or is there a better picture site to upload and share from?  Thanks.
Test Pic-Old Colt Poster (Very Small-40KB) Got link by clicking a "Get Share Link" button in Amazon Photos:

This time Right-clicked on Photo and clicked "Copy Link"... (Link is 3 lines long!!!):

No success!?!  I am dimb-founded by this? Do I need to be a member for a certain time before pictures allowed?
Probably something dead-simple???  :o

Grendel,  What did you do to make them show up on my Samsung device in your first Post to this thread?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 08:33:44 PM by emcitent »
Jim - Salutem Primum!

Offline Palmetto Marsh

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 02:51:58 PM »
I'm not a good techy to ask about the system. I did manage to load some pics a few months ago and I believe that someone posted instructions.. hardware/software needed..  I don't know. 

anything