Author Topic: CZ 75 Kadet adapter II on Compact vs Full Size Frame  (Read 1600 times)

Offline PeteB

CZ 75 Kadet adapter II on Compact vs Full Size Frame
« on: January 23, 2021, 09:06:32 PM »
I have a P-01 Omega with the alloy frame.  It shoots very well in my hands, but I do not shoot very often to save $$ on ammo.  On the other hand I have plenty of 22lr HS. I have also come across a Kadet II for a reasonable price.  My first choice would be a full size steel 75B frame, converted to SA, but it may be some time before I find one, or a donor gun at a reasonable price.

Is there a downside to using the Kadet II on the compact alloy frame, and switching it to a steel full-size frame at a later date?

The obvious issues would be 1) a less-than perfect fit to the steel frame after fitting it to a P01 frame, and 2) wear to the P-01 lower from a slide that was not fitted in the factory. Has anyone done this, and is it even worth taking the risk?

To put a little perspective to the discussion, I also have a S&W Model 41 which is very accurate but finicky about ammo and cleaning, and a Model 18 which eats anything. Neither one is anything like a modern gun.  As a result I have plenty of 22lr that does not work in the Model 41, and more than I will ever use in the Model 18...   ::)

The Kadet II is about the cost of 750 rounds of 9mm at today's prices.  The pile of 22lr is sunk cost, and only marginally useful to me.  Finding an accurate 22 that feels like a modern CZ would be a big plus, and the Kadet II would pay for itself in three months.

Comments, advice, and snide remarks about my choices of handguns are all welcome, ;D

Thanks in advance!

Offline Fuzzy Sights

• > Dirt
Re: CZ 75 Kadet adapter II on Compact vs Full Size Frame
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 10:01:06 PM »
PeteB

Have 4 different Kadet kits and one is fitted to a P-01 with an AL frame.  Yes you will probably have to fit it, but you are fitting it to the weapon which you most need the practice.  Chances are good that it will still be a solid fit on any other frame you find.  But the key is to use it on the one that you would use in a defensive situation.

Take a look at the sticky notes on making and keeping your Kadet reliable. You will not be unhappy with the choice.

Best Wishes.

JW
Vivat et res publica!

Think of me as a Newbee who types a lot.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 10:41:56 PM »
Even if the Kadet was fitted tightly to one frame and then fit a bit looser on another frame, you could shim the loose fitting frame. The part of the Kadet that interfaces with the host frame dose not move when the Kadet is fired. Only the "bolt" portion of the Kadet cycles.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 03:32:59 PM »
As been stated, the KADET's accuracy has zero to do with its fit
If you have multiple Frames you plan on using your KADET on, fit it to the tightest of the Host Frames
It will be as accurate (on any one of them) as it would be, if the Kit was fit to that Frame only
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline PeteB

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 08:34:23 PM »
Thanks for the comments above!

Just to be clear, mine is a Kadet 2 p/n 0443-01-1022ND.  Fitting it to my P01 Omega compact was pretty easy, the amount of metal I had to remove was scarcely more than the black coating, and only on about half of the length of the rail called "surface B" in the instructions.  I did not have to touch "surface A" to make it fit.  Assembly was pretty easy.

After that, things got a little more interesting. 

My kit came with two, IDENTICAL slide stop pins. Neither one is longer than the other one, and neither one fits perfectly into the frame. Very close, but the spring at the left inside wall of the frame does not snap into the groove on the slide stop all the way.  Both slide stops have a head which is bigger than the original slide stop.  I am assuming this is to help the slide lock back on an empty magazine (?)

The bolt (or half-slide) moves smoothly in the adapter, but only until it is mated to the frame.  Then it becomes very hard to cock or lock back by hand.  Not sure why.  The fact that the place where you have to grip the serrations is just below the windage adjustment screw makes it especially difficult.

I assume this may loosen up with wear, or there is something else that needs to be smoothed out or polished, but I have not gotten that far. To put it into perspective, it is much harder to move than the slide on a S&W Model 41, or Sig Sauer 1911-22 adapter slide.  If that is covered anywhere in this forum, please post a link, thanks!

Offline Fuzzy Sights

• > Dirt
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 08:41:32 PM »
You will I believe need to order a different slide stop pin for your P-01.  CZ I think will send it for free.  Check the Kadet Forum and your documentation.  On my wife's P-01 the original slide stop pin for 9mm actually worked fine.

Hope this helps. 

JW
Vivat et res publica!

Think of me as a Newbee who types a lot.

Offline PeteB

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 09:05:56 PM »
...On my wife's P-01 the original slide stop pin for 9mm actually worked fine...
Thanks JW!

Does it lock the slide back on an empty magazine? My factory slide stop does fit, however I have not tested that.  The heads are noticeably different, so I was assuming it might not lock back, or not reliably.  As stiff as t seems to be new, I wonder if it will even feed the next round to begin with..  I will update when I know more.

Offline PeteB

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 09:07:27 AM »
The shorter magazine base that others have posted about here is apparently back in stock (I got the notice in my email this morning.  The official CA name for the product is  "MAGAZINE BASE 10 RD COMPACT" and, SKU 0430377001.