Author Topic: CGW Hammer bite  (Read 6209 times)

Offline briang2ad

CGW Hammer bite
« on: March 15, 2021, 04:01:44 PM »
Today shot my Cajunized (by me) P01.  I've got all the parts for the Defensive package plus the CGW hammer.  The result was a stinging sensation from the hammer on my fat hand web.  I now have a welt after only 100 rounds or so. 

This surprises me because I only smooth off my PreB hammer and this keeps it from biting me.  The CGW hammer looks smooth enough. 

David will take care of me to switch it out to a CGW ROUND hammer - but has anyone else had this and do you have a pic of the round hammer to compare?

Anyone else switch it for this reason? Thanks. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 04:15:38 PM by briang2ad »

Offline Earl Keese

Re: CGW Hammer bite
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 07:16:56 PM »
Man, you have more problems with CZ's than anybody on this forum. Nobody can call you a quitter, that's for sure.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 08:24:46 PM »
Man, you have more problems with CZ's than anybody on this forum. Nobody can call you a quitter, that's for sure.

Earl, I just wrote something similar on the other thread the OP posted in about this issue.  But I didn't laugh out loud till I saw your post in this thread. 

Sorry OP, not laughing at you, just hoping you realized no one is picking on you when you see similar posts from two different people in two different threads.

Again, good luck with the new hammer.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 05:03:49 AM »
Never had any hammer bite from any modern pistol. I think it's the beaver tail digging in. 

Offline dbarn

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 09:45:28 AM »
I've had this problem for quite a while and have tried several different hammers. They all gave me hammer bite. Firmly believe that the problem is with the aluminum frame downward sloped beavertail.

Those of us with fleshy hands between the thumb and forefinger and grip high, have the skin come over the rear of the beavertail and it's pinched during the rearward slide movement between the hammer and the beavertail. The harder and higher we grip, the more flesh comes over the rear.

One question you might ask CGW is completely grinding the cocking piece off of the hammer. Short of extending the beavertail, this may be a viable option. 

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 10:10:39 AM »
I've had a bobbed race hammer on my Rami for a year or so, works fine.

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 10:24:50 AM »
When I look at the bobbed round hammer it looks like it is shaped differently.  Wish I could measure both.  I just don’t recall any of this on the omega version hence my belief in the hammer vice beavertail problem.  BTW no offense taken as I AM that guy with CZs, but I still lovem.  Too easy to shoot well!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 11:12:20 AM by briang2ad »

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 01:59:51 PM »
If you're running a decocker then you have no need for the spur/ring anway.  Not really.

My Tactical Sport has a spurless/ringless hammer on it and it's SAO.

Not sure if someone makes a spurless hammer for the standard frame pistols or whether a hammer for the Tactical Sport will fit the standard frame pistols.

I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 04:26:28 PM »
If you're running a decocker then you have no need for the spur/ring anway.  Not really.

My Tactical Sport has a spurless/ringless hammer on it and it's SAO.

Not sure if someone makes a spurless hammer for the standard frame pistols or whether a hammer for the Tactical Sport will fit the standard frame pistols.
Or one could "bob" the hammer the way we used to do with DA revolvers.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 05:07:21 PM »
Bobbed race hammer. . . and TS hammer is too wide for std 75's.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 05:13:04 PM by Earl Keese »

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 05:15:42 AM »
That's the way to go right there. Makes for a clean smooth look as well.

Offline Steve Menegon

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 06:48:16 AM »
Bobbed race hammer. . . and TS hammer is too wide for std 75's.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Thanks Earl. I needed a reason to change the spare stock hammer and install it in mine! Clean look indeed.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 07:58:08 AM »
I bobbed the hammer on my 2&3/4" Speed Six a long, long time ago.  No issues.

But I've wondered about the smaller hammers on the CZs.  That upper part, where the ring/spur is removed is what strikes the firing pin/back of the slide.  The hammer should move a little faster when lightened (with the same hammer spring) and hit harder.  I've wondered about the effects of a small/lighter hammer than is hitting harder on the long term strength of the steel that is left.

How many rounds fired on the bobbed hammers for those that have gone that route?

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 01:20:22 PM »
I bobbed the hammer on my 2&3/4" Speed Six a long, long time ago.  No issues.

But I've wondered about the smaller hammers on the CZs.  That upper part, where the ring/spur is removed is what strikes the firing pin/back of the slide.  The hammer should move a little faster when lightened (with the same hammer spring) and hit harder.  I've wondered about the effects of a small/lighter hammer than is hitting harder on the long term strength of the steel that is left.

How many rounds fired on the bobbed hammers for those that have gone that route?
I don't have many rounds on mine since I bobbed it, just some for testing. The slide is out for optic milling. I liked the look of the CZUB hidden hammer, but didn't want to invest in machining it to work with DA/SA.
https://eshop.czub.cz/en/kohout-sa-hidden.html

Offline sevt_chevelle

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 05:28:29 PM »
Kinda different.  What or why requires machine work for it to function in da/sa?