Author Topic: Powder Scale?  (Read 854 times)

Offline Smitty79

• So many guns, so little time
Powder Scale?
« on: April 13, 2021, 05:18:56 PM »
For those that remember me, I've been away for a while.   Family and work limited my shooting.   I've just retired and now I'm getting back into it. 

My 9 year old electronic scale just died.   I'm looking for a recommendation.   Something available on Amazon Prime is a plus.
Don't mistake my high post count for knowledge or wisdom.   I just like hearing myself type.

Offline Rcher

Re: Powder Scale?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 05:42:27 PM »
I'm happy with this scale. It displays precision up to 0.01 gr, but I don't buy it and think 0.05gr-0.1gr accuracy is more realistic.
I calibrated and checked it with Lyman weights set and it holds wight pretty well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071GYVQF3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Offline bang bang

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 06:35:26 PM »
welcome back...

fwiw, i got an RCBS 1010.

its old school...no batteries....it works all the time as long as i do my part.

good luck

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 06:37:44 PM »
There are plenty of quality scales available from reputable suppliers like Midway USA, Natchez Shooters Supply, Dillon Precision, Hornady just to name a few. Why send the scumbag bezos your money?

Offline lewmed

• 135th & 240th AHC Vietnam 1967-1968
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 06:40:55 PM »
 I've been using a MyWeigh Gem Pro scale for about 3 years and have found it to be exceptionally accurate and has little to no drift after a short warm up. My old scale was accurate to a 1/10 of a grain on a good day the Gem Pro is accurate to a 1/100 of a grain. The only negative I have found is it eats AA batteries so I use it mostly on house current.

Offline david s

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 07:22:09 PM »
My 2nd generation Dillon scale began reading about 2 grains low compared to my other two scales a bit ago. The RCBS 5-10 beam scale I thought I had damaged by dropping (it was alright) and was the reason I purchased the Dillon is twice as old at 40 and still going strong. If your going to have only one a beam scale.

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 07:50:27 PM »
For those that remember me, I've been away for a while.

I guess we can now call off the search party.  ;D

Welcome back.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Ask me about used Dillon reloading equipment.

Offline Clint007

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 10:23:03 PM »
If you want a super accurate scale order the GemPro w50 Precision  from Uniquetek in Mesa AZ, the owners are engineers and calibrate and check each scale before it goes out the door.  Not cheap, admittedly.....

C
Temere phrase latine usus sum ut magna canetis

Offline Mchaggis

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 07:57:37 AM »
Best scale?  If you want a decent fast responding scale tired eyes can read then spend the $$$ and get the A&D FX-120i.
CEProducts has them but they are $470 with the code. I have the FX-300i I got here in New Zealand and it was $1295. Very expensive but I love it and won’t use any of my old scales anymore.

Offline flatsixfan

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 08:08:19 PM »
Best scale?  If you want a decent fast responding scale tired eyes can read then spend the $$$ and get the A&D FX-120i.
CEProducts has them but they are $470 with the code. I have the FX-300i I got here in New Zealand and it was $1295. Very expensive but I love it and won’t use any of my old scales anymore.

After YEARS of using the GemPro 250, I also took the plunge and purchased an FX-120i from CE Products!

The value of accuracy, ease of use, and ease of calibration far outweigh the initial cost of this outstanding scale!

Highly recommended!

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2021, 07:54:28 AM »
I'm of the opinion that everyone's first scale should be a well-made balance beam. I had been using the same RCBS 505 since the late 70's, until I got a deal on a Dillon Eliminator (the same scale made by Ohaus in blue), then my son borrowed it and it's still on the job over at his house.

Both RCBS and Dillon have dropped those scales from their lineup, but Ohaus still makes a balance beam and there are plenty of the older models being sold and traded. Ohaus also sold a 505 with their name on it. Then there are the Ohaus 5-10 and 10-10 series.

Electronic scales are nice, easy and quick, but they always eventually go bonkers. I own several myself, so I can't knock them too hard. But they have definite drawbacks like warm-up, wandering, always being effected by all the things you can't see (friction, batteries, power spikes, drafts, magnetic fields, software glitches, etc). And humans have a distinct short-coming in that 'if they can't see it, then they believe it's not there'.

Thus, if you go electronic, then also buy a set of "check weights" for the range you'll be loading. Never use the scale's own 20 gram check weight and then assume the scale is accurate at 4.7 grains. This because 20 gram equals 308.6 grains, which is "in the next county" compared to 4.7gr.

What you've got to remember about digital scales is that they ALWAYS fail in one particular weight zone, and hardly ever across the board. (Whereas balance beams can only 'fail' as a fixed percentage.) So a digital can be dead nuts on at 100 grains and be 2 or 3 grains off in the 5 grain region. And that's why you need a 5 grain check weight. If we chart this failure mode out, it looks like this....

The digital can read both high and low, while the balance beam is a constant

The digital can be low at the upper end due to friction and high at the lower end due to thermal drafts... and this type of 'bonkers' plots like a curved line. On the other hand, the balance beam may be a percentage off, but it's off by a constant... which plots as a straight line. When that happens you can fully restore the balance beam by honing the teeter-totter knives, but the digital scale is trash... they cannot be repaired.

And while we're on the subject... do you ever see the readout on your digital flicker between (say for instance) 3.2gr and 3.3gr ? That's completely normal. But no one ever asks why the same scale doesn't flicker at Zero. The same vibrations and thermal situation is certainly present !! Well, the flicker is suppressed at Zero within the software to make the user believe the scale is more accurate than it is. And if software is playing those tricks, what else is it doing ? And believe this: if you have an electronic scale, then you DO have software converting electronic signals into a numeric display.

Like I said, nothing wrong with digital scales, but you should go into that purchase knowing a lot more.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 08:06:30 AM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Ask me about used Dillon reloading equipment.

Offline timetofly

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2021, 09:40:35 AM »
I bought a jewelers portable scale and I check it with Lyman calibration weights periodically.  No problems.  Today’s electronics are very good compared to yesteryear I also have 4 balance scales I use when I feel really old school.  A Redding and a herters  balance scale are super easy yo use and the graduations let me read them quickly 4tick up and 4 ticks down - balance.  Love the old scales for some things

Offline eastman

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2021, 08:58:05 PM »
electronic scales and balances are all about buying enough quality. The cheap ones are going to have problems (what do you expect for under $100?).

I work with a few balances which are accurate to the 1-millionth of a gram (1 ?g) and extremely stable. 10-15 years ago they were $14,000 each.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline flatsixfan

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2021, 09:18:23 PM »
I'm of the opinion that everyone's first scale should be a well-made balance beam. I had been using the same RCBS 505 since the late 70's, until I got a deal on a Dillon Eliminator (the same scale made by Ohaus in blue), then my son borrowed it and it's still on the job over at his house.

And while we're on the subject... do you ever see the readout on your digital flicker between (say for instance) 3.2gr and 3.3gr ? That's completely normal. But no one ever asks why the same scale doesn't flicker at Zero. The same vibrations and thermal situation is certainly present !! Well, the flicker is suppressed at Zero within the software to make the user believe the scale is more accurate than it is. And if software is playing those tricks, what else is it doing ? And believe this: if you have an electronic scale, then you DO have software converting electronic signals into a numeric display.

Like I said, nothing wrong with digital scales, but you should go into that purchase knowing a lot more.

Hope this helps.

I too started on a basic balance beam scale MANY years ago.  Always felt I needed to keep one as a "check weigh" when I first started using a digital.  As the years went on, and the quality of digital scales improved, I too transitioned to nothing but digital. 

But I always keep a quality check weight (F1 Class) handy and usually do a calibration check prior to starting a loading session with the FX-120i.  Not really necessary, but I take my powder weights very seriously!

And BTW:  I can breath on or simply wave my hand over the FX-120i and it will "flicker" at zero or any other weight I may be checking!

:)

Offline Old Rocket

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2021, 12:41:21 AM »
Over the years have used many electronic digital scales and always go back to my ohaus/lyman 5-10 1 of the best investments I've made. So reliable and accurate which gives me piece of mind.
At my age I need that lol
CZ 75b
CZ P09
SP 01
SP 01
TS 40
VZ2008