Author Topic: P10F good choice for USPSA?  (Read 3070 times)

Offline Motleycrue

P10F good choice for USPSA?
« on: May 10, 2021, 06:42:06 PM »
I was thinking of getting the P10F for USPSA Production or Limited and wanted to see what people thought. The other option considering is the SA XDM 5.25 Elite...both have great reviews, good quality, and lots of capacity if needed. Some background is that my son and I just started USPSA. Looking to just use iron sights to work on skills a bit, but since the P10F is commonly available as an OR option, I could opt for that. I dry-fired a new 5.25 Elite at an LGS the other day, and the overall feel and the trigger felt good. Have not found a P10F locally to try yet, but understand the trigger is pretty nice. One more thing...I know there are other steel frame guns that are popular in these divisions, especially CZs, but they also have a higher price point than these two. Glocks are in this price range, but I'm not a fan of the grips.

A couple basic USPSA-related questions...do the P10F’s 19rd mags fall within the 140mm limit for the Limited division; and for Production...I know this is a dumb question...does a mag capacity have to be 10 rounds max, or can you use higher capacity mags and just put 10 rounds in them?

Offline Maynard

Re: P10F good choice for USPSA?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 06:53:43 PM »
I shoot USPSA with a P-10F but in the Carry Optics division. You give up quite a bit in weight to the steel frame guns but that just means you have to stay focused on not getting lazy with the grip.

Offline Phyffe

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 12:16:05 PM »
I know its heresy to suggest other brands, but if you're looking for a polymer framed, striker fired gun to compete with, Walther has a ton of PPQ, PPWhatevers that seem to be accurized right out of the box
CZ SP-01 Shadow
CZ P10-S
CZ 75B
CZ Scorpion Evo 3 S1 Carbine
Mossberg Model 500 Bullpup

Offline Motleycrue

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 01:39:31 PM »
I know its heresy to suggest other brands, but if you're looking for a polymer framed, striker fired gun to compete with, Walther has a ton of PPQ, PPWhatevers that seem to be accurized right out of the box
I hear you on that. I have a Walther PPQ 45 for home defense that feels and shoots great, and have thought about giving that a go in the major power factor class, and I got my son a Walther Q5 Match, also a nice gun. I was just looking at CZs because i have seen guys at matches with them (CZ 75s, Shadows, etc), and so was looking at their polymer striker fired offerings to have something different but still great quality.

Offline KineticAp1

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 04:50:25 PM »
I was thinking of getting the P10F for USPSA Production or Limited and wanted to see what people thought. The other option considering is the SA XDM 5.25 Elite...both have great reviews, good quality, and lots of capacity if needed. Some background is that my son and I just started USPSA. Looking to just use iron sights to work on skills a bit, but since the P10F is commonly available as an OR option, I could opt for that. I dry-fired a new 5.25 Elite at an LGS the other day, and the overall feel and the trigger felt good. Have not found a P10F locally to try yet, but understand the trigger is pretty nice. One more thing...I know there are other steel frame guns that are popular in these divisions, especially CZs, but they also have a higher price point than these two. Glocks are in this price range, but I'm not a fan of the grips.

A couple basic USPSA-related questions...do the P10F’s 19rd mags fall within the 140mm limit for the Limited division; and for Production...I know this is a dumb question...does a mag capacity have to be 10 rounds max, or can you use higher capacity mags and just put 10 rounds in them?

yes the 19rnd mags fall within the guidelines for limited.  I actually just verified it with our USPSA mag gauge. You can get the 21 rnd ones to fit with a little tinkering.

yes you can use 19rnd mags as long as they are only loaded to 10 in Production Division.

Offline Para-bellum

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 07:43:04 PM »
I hear you on that. I have a Walther PPQ 45 for home defense that feels and shoots great, and have thought about giving that a go in the major power factor class, and I got my son a Walther Q5 Match, also a nice gun. I was just looking at CZs because i have seen guys at matches with them (CZ 75s, Shadows, etc), and so was looking at their polymer striker fired offerings to have something different but still great quality.
I will say having formerly owned a PPQ while a very nice pistol, the muzzle flip is more pronounced then the p10f by a substantial amount. The p10 series are some of the flatest shooting polymer pistols I’ve ever shot. Never shot the SA offering but it does seem to be a quality pistol.

Offline gwes351

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 08:11:00 PM »
I too previously owned a PPQ (gen 1) and it was a very good pistol - ergonomics and trigger especially.  But para-bellum is right on in that the CZ P-10 series exhibit the least muzzle flip I;ve experienced so far (haven't shot the 10F - but have shot the 10C and 10S).  With "out-of-the-box" good ergos, excellent trigger & sights, low bore axis, the CZ P series are among the very best striker pistols out there.  I'm just sorry I didn;t find this out a little earlier.

Offline clsx

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2021, 08:33:41 PM »
The p10 series are some of the flatest shooting polymer pistols I’ve ever shot.

I would agree with that. I just got my P10C recently for exactly that reason. Got a deal on an SRO recently and that combo will be my intro to shooting handguns with optics.

Offline 2morechains

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 11:35:27 PM »

The trigger on the P10’s is pretty nice for a striker-fired gun.  IMO its better than the Glock, more crisp than the XDM, but not as nice as the Walther PPQ.

The P10F and C are on the USPSA approved list for Production guns.  Despite the 19 / 15 rnd capacity in Production division you can only load 10 in each magazine (per the ruleset).  If you want to shoot Production, recommend a stiff belt, strong side holster, four mag pouches, and five mags. 

You can also shoot the P10F in Limited division but in minor (9mm can only be scored minor power factor in Limited division) and run the mags to full capacity.  If you want to go to the limit of the 140mm mag rule, Springer Precision makes a basepad extension that expands capacity to 22 rnds, or 23 if you also get the Grams springs and follower that Springer sells. 

Alternatively you can put a dot on the gun and shoot Carry Optics division with the 140mm mags.  This would probably be a perfect choice since everyone in Carry Optics is scored minor.  When I RMR’d my P10C I shot it in Carry Optics for a few monthhs and it’s a fun setup.  I added a few goodies from CGW to make the gun a little better, but it doesn’t need much. 

Offline Motleycrue

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2021, 10:59:20 AM »
The p10 series are some of the flatest shooting polymer pistols I’ve ever shot.

I would agree with that. I just got my P10C recently for exactly that reason. Got a deal on an SRO recently and that combo will be my intro to shooting handguns with optics.

I got a chance last week to shoot the P-10C at an LGS....unfortunately they didn't have the F as a rental gun. It was right after I tried the XDM at another store, and the CZ shot much much better for me. Groupings at 7, 15, and 25 yards were pretty decent considering it was the first time firing it. The ambidextrous mag release was almost impossible to push with the shooting thumb while holding it, but I hear the interchangeable releases on the newer ones took care of that problem. It also had a real heavy trigger pull every 6th or 7th shot, though that may been due to being a rental gun and not cleaned often.

Offline 2morechains

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2021, 03:07:02 PM »
I gave up on my P10C’s mag release and dropped in an aftermarket one from Apex.  Definite improvement. 

Offline Wideload

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 08:44:47 AM »
P10F is a great choice for Production or Carry Optics. 

If you are starting out and figuring out the game, it will do ok in Limited but you will grow out of it if you want to be competitive in that division.  Mainly because you will want a heavier gun for .40 major loads.
A-1 Dinsintegrating Pistol
Illudium Q36 Explosive Space Modulator

Offline Para-bellum

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 03:37:22 PM »
I too previously owned a PPQ (gen 1) and it was a very good pistol - ergonomics and trigger especially.  But para-bellum is right on in that the CZ P-10 series exhibit the least muzzle flip I;ve experienced so far (haven't shot the 10F - but have shot the 10C and 10S).  With "out-of-the-box" good ergos, excellent trigger & sights, low bore axis, the CZ P series are among the very best striker pistols out there.  I'm just sorry I didn;t find this out a little earlier.
Yes I don’t have the C. My daily carry is a p10s with an RMR (rm07) and night fision suppressor height sights. It’s my favorite carry ever. The only reason I don’t have a C is because I have M&P 2.0 optics ready that shoots fantastic as well. Esp with the Apex flatty trigger. The P10F is my best shooting striker fired pistol. Although my p10s shot from a rest isn’t that far off. Imo the p10 series is the best striker pistol being produced currently.

Offline asssets

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2021, 05:36:45 PM »
Alternatively you can put a dot on the gun and shoot Carry Optics division with the 140mm mags.  This would probably be a perfect choice since everyone in Carry Optics is scored minor
This is a very good point. I shot my first USPSA with stock P10F last weekend. They placed me in a limited. All 4 majors took the top 5 spots. Its just math, you increase your chances significantly. Now I am left with the production or Carry Optic option. In production, there were only two people out of 50. From what I checked it is 3-5 people in CO to 1 in the production division. I thought mastering iron sights makes you a better shooter as optic easier.
One more thing with new rules you can have a light on the gun. Not sure if someone making competition holsters with light added.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 06:02:28 PM by asssets »
P10F OR
P10S with Holosun 507k-X2