Author Topic: 75C front sight off center problem  (Read 2136 times)

Offline A.

75C front sight off center problem
« on: May 27, 2021, 11:51:45 AM »
I have very lovely CZ 75C vintage 1994. Obviously was made on Monday morning by someone with severe hangover. The cut for the front sight is off center! Measured distances with micrometer to the edge of the slide.
What would be the best way to correct it?
My preffered width of the front sight is 0.1. Should I buy wider sight and mill off one side? Or are there better options?
Or should I offset rear sight?
Thank you!

Offline himurax13

Re: 75C front sight off center problem
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 12:20:23 PM »
I would shoot it off a sandbag from 15 to 25 yards away and adjust the rear sight accordingly. The Point of Impact will determine if a different front sight is needed.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Offline A.

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 12:32:12 PM »
I would shoot it off a sandbag from 15 to 25 yards away and adjust the rear sight accordingly. The Point of Impact will determine if a different front sight is needed.

Tried that at 50 ft, very tight group approximately 3" off. Tried to compensate by moving rear sight, looks a bit weird. Hope that there is better option.
I need to replace front sight anyway, prefer narrow 0.10" width blade, preferably with fiberoptic.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 12:34:07 PM »

This exactly. If you have not fired the gun yet then do so before changing anything.

Offline A.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 01:04:49 PM »

This exactly. If you have not fired the gun yet then do so before changing anything.

Done that, see post above. Trying to squeeze every bit of precision here, because this slide has become a part of this rig. It fits full size frame as good as custom bullseye 1911.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 07:00:13 PM by A. »

Offline Bigkev

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 02:54:48 PM »
Call CZ and get a warranty claim started if you aren’t happy. Don’t waste your money fixing a problem that they will take care of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline A.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2021, 03:00:13 PM »
Call CZ and get a warranty claim started if you aren’t happy. Don’t waste your money fixing a problem that they will take care of.

Dude, this slide is from 1994! Warranty claim? Seriously?

Offline Bigkev

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 03:27:39 PM »

Dude, this slide is from 1994! Warranty claim? Seriously?
Is it something you have owned since then or NOS?

And no need to be a sanctimonious tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline john seeley

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 04:44:25 PM »
My new P-01 front dovetail is also off center by like a half of serration. Instead of filing down the iron, fit the sight by only filing material off of the left side of the sight's dovetail to nudge it to the left more. It won't compensate enough but it'll help. That's what I did.

However, my front dovetail wasn't only off center, but it was slightly cocked and I can see it plainly against the anti-glare top when putting a straight edge against the sight. Not only did I file the sight's dovetail on one side to compensate for it being off center, but I took material off unevenly to angle it back to be straight... in the direction it needed to be less off center. The BEST method of success is take your time, plan things out, and be as meticulous as possible. If you feel your starting to get anxious or rush, walk away and come back later.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 12:40:08 PM by john seeley »

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2021, 06:45:50 PM »
Barring getting a custom front sight made I think your going to have to live with it.  Contact Dawson and see if they will make a sight that needs custom fitting and get busy with a file/mill.

Show them your picture and they might be able to offset a dovetail?

Cheers,
Toby
This forum rocks!

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2021, 07:49:39 PM »
Only other options would be to install a fully adjustable rear sight and see how that works out or contact CZ-Custom or Cajun Gun Works and see if there's any chance they could tig the dovetail and re-cut it on center.
Or keep an eye out for another slide. They do show up from time to time.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2021, 07:15:06 AM »
You want a thinner front sight anyway?

Talk to someone that does mill work (CGW?  CZ Custom?  somebody else?)  See if a standard front sight, with material removed from the left side would give you the difference/shift to the left needed to center the thinner portion left after milling to get you on target.

Cost more?  Yeah.  More than an adjustable rear sight?  I have no idea.

I do know I like the Compacts.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline A.

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2021, 09:54:29 AM »
Thank you all for advice and sharing your wisdom.

I think I found a solution. First, fitting front sight on one side only was a great idea, credit to john seeley. It helped me to gain a bit. Second, I found the narrowest rear sight. Factory CZ rear sight is 0.74' width, CZC is 0.64", and Dawson is only 0.58" width. Using Dawson left me plenty of space on both sides of the slide for adjustment. Here is the final product.
Fine tuning at the range to follow.

Offline himurax13

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2021, 03:34:41 PM »

I think I found a solution. First, fitting front sight on one side only was a great idea, credit to john seeley. It helped me to gain a bit. Second, I found the narrowest rear sight. Factory CZ rear sight is 0.74' width, CZC is 0.64", and Dawson is only 0.58" width. Using Dawson left me plenty of space on both sides of the slide for adjustment. Here is the final product.

So what are your thoughts?

Honestly, I probably would have just left the front sight alone and went the rear sight route you chose. But to be honest, I probably would have ditched the slide altogether and installed a milled Tac Sport Slide or fitted a Bull Shadow Slide to the frame.

Offline john seeley

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2021, 01:42:22 PM »

Looks pretty much centered now... Aesthetically fine! Good job! Fine tune the rear and your done.