Author Topic: what vertical foregrip is best with carbine?  (Read 1290 times)

Offline insp808

what vertical foregrip is best with carbine?
« on: July 17, 2021, 01:54:45 AM »
Just curious if there is any consensus as to if a certain VFG is particularly suited to the Scorpion carbine. I've noticed that this is a topic that isn't discussed much specifically for the Scorpion, probably because most have the pistol variant.  Anyway, I'm an XL glove size but I have a petite wife... I ideally would like something that is a good fit for us both.

Do you run any VFG on your carbine? If so, what do you think works best? 

I know they aren't terribly popular but part of me thinks one of the longer VFGs would be best in that it wouldn't be in the way with my light and it might be best if I just went broomhandle-style with a longer VFG. Besides, running a shorter VFG in an attempt to C clamp it wouldn't work too well with the Scorpion's beefy handguard I think.

Offline Das Hugh!

Re: what vertical foregrip is best with carbine?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 04:55:29 AM »
The wife may enjoy the new ones that are slanted and contain the laser inside? And since it's slanted it may suit your big hands. Just a guess tho. There so many out there it's hard to say. Also seen the new potato style ones that I haven't made my mind up on yet lol. But Mines still in pistol format so I don't mess with those alot on it at all

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Offline insp808

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 12:08:06 PM »
Cool, I just learned something new... had to google what a potato style one was ha.

Don't know if that would be ideal though since my carbine already has a light and a red dot (red dot making any laser a bit redundant). It seems the main allure of potato style is if you're trying to bundle that space with some other function (light/red dot), but correct me if I'm misreading that. 

Do you have an example of a nice slanted one?

Offline Das Hugh!

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 01:03:31 PM »
Well glad I was able to help for once lol. But yeah there's tons of forgrips out yonder. And sky's the limit as far as price. There's another style I dunno the name of tho.. but is like a potato one but without the lights etc. I'll post a pic of it too. It's said to help users drive the barrel down under fire better. And may be legal on pistols. I dunno tho so check that out to be certain before putting any on pistols. But angled foregrips start as cheap as 2-3$ on aliexpress.. and go up from there depending on brands. But as far as lasers tho. One quality they have on a home defense gun that I don't see mentioned often is that intruders may be blinded by your light. And not sure if u have a gun etc. But the moment u pop that laser on them.. they behave real fast lol. It's kind of a form of a less than lethal deterent also in some ways I'd say. But you'll mostly see magpul vfgs.  Some even have lasers built in then for a little more. Can't vouch if they work good or not as I don't own one yet tho

Offline rc_BB2018

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 10:11:56 AM »
Not vertical but I just got the Stark SE-5 Express Forward Grip  and really like it.  Very reasonably priced

https://www.opticsplanet.com/stark-se-5-express-forward-grip-black-se5-bl.html

Offline Inspector 12

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 08:40:46 AM »
I like the UTG mini that comes on the Ruger PC Charger take down 9 pistol. It is a cross between a hand stop (where it is actually on the large side )and a vertical grip (where it is smaller than most). It allows me to get a couple of fingers on it but isn't overly large either.

Offline ShakyDog

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 04:03:20 PM »
I am not a vertical foregrip kind-a guy. Never have liked them and I think of them the same as I think of the "Bad" lever.

I trained for three gun with a standard AR no frills. The reason, what if yours goes down for some reason and you have to use another and it does not have any of your custom item on the firearm and you have to think about what you are doing instead of muscle memory. Vertical grip is the same way, I can not see any real advantage to using one over not using one.

Just my nickels worth of  BS on the subject.  O0

Steve

Offline Das Hugh!

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 04:31:49 PM »
I myself just like a simple finger/handstop just so I get repetitive results.. and doubles as a barrier stop too when needed. At most I may use my inforce light as a grip. That's just me tho

Offline Windwalker2

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2021, 11:39:06 PM »
I am a female with a Scorpion and I need the foregrip for better control. My Evo is less than 26" and not SBR, so I cannot have a vertical grip.  That "potato"  is a Ryker and according to their website faqs is considered a vertical grip.  I got the Nightstrike Diamond and like it very much.

anything