Author Topic: Zeroing my Scorpian both irons and RD  (Read 1580 times)

Offline ARP

Zeroing my Scorpian both irons and RD
« on: September 19, 2021, 07:04:12 PM »
I have read various threads today concerning zeroing a Scorpian. I own the version with the faux suppressor and the folding brace, it has a HBi trigger kit, swapped out the mag release, grip, and I use a Vortex RDS with the low mount to co witness. My eyesight is 20/15 and I am not a new shooter. Have had the Skorp a few years, but it has been more of a novelty than a "go to" gun.

So I wanted to bring it to the level of "go to" gun, just like any other gun I own for defensive purposes. The Vortex rds was a relatively new addition to it. I have been buying Vortex lately for their warranty backing. Just a quick word about Holosun...I really like their features and if, when you buy one, you register it with Holosun right away, they will back any failures within reason. I had one from Amazon lose it's adjustment beyond return date and a second one from Brownells retail store go bad out of the box. Brownells gave me static about the sight because I bought from the store and not the website about replacing. They ended up giving me store credit for it, the Amazon one, Holosun did a replacement. I would not hesitate to buy either. Currently have 4 Vortex and 1 Holosun in use, with a Holosun sitting in reserve.

This past week I took the Skorp to the range with the intent of verifying the zero as I was unsure of what I had done with settings. Previously, rested I could hit hole on hole accuracy at 25 yds. This was with range fodder ammo 115gr fmj. I thought I would like to set the zero for 50yds and began the process of doing this rested. To start with, I have never moved my irons away from factory zero which I assume was 25yds. Red dot zero I thought was 25yds (what my notes stated). I tried moving things out to 50 and had some fairly unacceptable results. I was all over the place on a target that was roughly 1' x 2'. I kept adjusting sights and every time I thought I was making progress, I could not replicate or get any consistency. I began to think that something was loose on the gun either barrel or sight, I am considering putting my spare Holosun on the gun just to confirm it is not the RDS.

After about 30 rounds of frustration, I turned the RDS off and tried the irons. Really bad, tried to do some adjustments and the front sight bottomed out and just stopped and decided to start asking some questions and check a few things over. Nothing appears to be loose.

So after reading multiple threads, most appear to have a 25yd zero. Am I expecting too much of the 9mm round to get a 50yd zero? I am thinking I should get back to a 25yd zero with my irons and then 25 with the RDS. I used a bore sighter laser to set my 50 yd current zero, I have not shot yet. I may not try either. I gotta keep reminding myself, it is a pistol that you aim like a rifle, but that does not change/improve the ballistics at distance.

Offline Trooper894

Re: Zeroing my Scorpian both irons and RD
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 09:58:51 PM »
It should be no problem to set up a 50 yd zero if that is what you want. I would take it back to a rested 25 yd target and check your groups. If they are scattered and you are confident that it is not your technique, the first thing I would check is the faux suppressor. MANY of us have run into accuracy issues due to the faux suppressor working loose. Many of us have just removed the faux suppressor and gotten rid of it altogether due to problems it creates and have installed alternative muzzle devices. Also you need to check for the thread protector on the 18x1 threads working loose (if your gun has that thread protector, Micro's do not). Check mounting screws also for your factory sights and your red dot.
Honor - Doing what's right, even if no one is watching.

Offline ARP

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 10:48:33 PM »
Yeah, I think I need to dig into this further. Is there a good source for disassembly instructions or video? When I look thru the hand guard, I see a lot of exposed thread where the faux suppressor attaches/screws on yet the suppressor is not loose. It is the EVO3 S1 version. It looks like if I could slide the hand guard off easy enough, I could answer a lot of my questions.

Offline ARP

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 11:26:42 PM »
If I am reading/viewing this correctly, I need to screw off the faux suppressor and then use the barrel nut socket and once that comes off, the handguard just slides right off? Remove machine screws as well.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 12:04:02 AM by ARP »

Offline ARP

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 12:39:57 AM »
Well all I can say is it is hell to get old. In looking thru more threads, I ASKED THIS SAME QUESTION ABOUT 1 YEAR AGO AND SOMEONE GAVE ME A FANTASTIC VIDEO THAT SPELLED OUT WHY I SHOULD BE ZEROING AT 25YDS. So I will give the gun a good cleanup, use some good brass ammo, and set up for 25yds with the bore sighter and see what happens with live ammo. If I still have problems, I will order the barrel nut remover from HB industries and do some further gunsmith detective work.

Offline ARP

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 02:38:08 PM »
Just back from the range, worked on the 25yd zero. I kinds suck at using irons, it is a skill I need to work on. The RDS...I was getting great pairing of 2 shots and was able to adjust them into very good consistency, at times shots touching each other. So it appears that nothing was amiss other than the shooter. My consistency with that gun I suspect will rapidly improve as I get more accustomed to the sight picture. I finished the session by setting up my 4" steel target at the 20 yd line(longest stand that was set up on the pistol range) and smacking the snot out of it for about 15 rounds at pace. I am satisfied. Still think I may buy the the barrel nut tool, just in case.

Offline Togmaster

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 02:43:50 PM »
Let me know where you find the barrel nut tool.  They have been out of stock for some time now.
Let's go Brandon!

Offline ARP

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 10:39:24 PM »
Let me know where you find the barrel nut tool.  They have been out of stock for some time now.

Check yer PM

Offline Northern

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 11:19:18 AM »
If the issue is your sight picture, then cowitnessing or lower 1/3 cowitnessing may help a lot. In that sense, the cowitnessed irons/dot serves like a training tool for the irons. I’m not an expert but it’s been improving my iron sight skill a lot. (Holosun 503cu on high mount with magpul buis). Your groups at 50 yards will not be as tight, but you should see improvement over what you described in the original post.

Offline bailagent100

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 01:19:37 AM »
Well all I can say is it is hell to get old. In looking thru more threads, I ASKED THIS SAME QUESTION ABOUT 1 YEAR AGO AND SOMEONE GAVE ME A FANTASTIC VIDEO THAT SPELLED OUT WHY I SHOULD BE ZEROING AT 25YDS. So I will give the gun a good cleanup, use some good brass ammo, and set up for 25yds with the bore sighter and see what happens with live ammo. If I still have problems, I will order the barrel nut remover from HB industries and do some further gunsmith detective work.

Link to fantastic video, plz.

Offline Jack Flash

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 04:48:25 PM »
I used a laser cartridge bullet thing to zero in my Holosun on my CZ and the green laser on my Glock 19.

Worked out perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07115ZZBM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline ARP

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 01:53:14 AM »

Link to fantastic video, plz.

http://www.guns.com/news/2019/02/08/how-to-stretch-out-your-pistol-caliber-carbine-video

Well this was one, the other was in my profile post #29. I copied the link above, for some reason it is not the same as the video in my profile yet same address
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 01:58:47 AM by ARP »

Offline ShakyDog

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2021, 12:04:05 PM »
Not sure if this applies to 9mm also, but all of my ARs are slowly being changed to:

https://www.vigilanceelite.com/blogs/vigilance-elite-blogs/36-yard-zero

Steve

Offline ARP

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2021, 11:27:47 AM »
I have 3 ARz. 2 have red dots that have a 36yd zero. One has a Vortex low power variable scope, it is set for 50yd.

anything