Author Topic: Help finding 9mm & .40s&w bullet profile information  (Read 1245 times)

Offline USMCE4retired

Help finding 9mm & .40s&w bullet profile information
« on: September 28, 2021, 11:39:15 AM »
Hi, all.
 I am trying to find self defense ammo that cycles well in the 9mm and .40s&w RAMIs.
The RAMI feed ramp is steep and helps contribute to FTF.
Since bullets with a sharp and/or large "o" give tend to cause FTF by hanging up on the feed ramp, I am looking for what functions without the expense of trying too many different brands.
 I would prefer to use JHP as they tend to be more accurate than FMJ  since their center of mass is more rearward and have more bearing surface to engage lands.

Come to think of it, some FMJ bullets may also have too sharp/flat of a bullet point. Might be best to avoid those as well.

Any references to bullet profile by manufacturer would be invaluable. Not all advertisments show the bullet profile in their pics.
I have been searching for a while but can't seem to find that info anywhere.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 11:48:58 AM by USMCE4retired »

Offline lewmed

• 135th & 240th AHC Vietnam 1967-1968
Re: Help finding 9mm & .40s&w bullet profile information
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 11:51:39 AM »
 My 9mm Rami likes Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +P ammo and it's very accurate.

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 06:46:12 PM »
I reload the Gold Dots for both 9mm and 40.  I use the 124gr and 165gr respectively.

The 124gr Gold Dot feeds and functions in my Rami well.  I can't recall a bullet that I couldn't get to work in the Rami to date but I am reloading the cartridge and can choose the OAL to ensure it fits my chambers (my Rami isn't my shortest freebore).

I haven't extensively shot anything factory in some time.  Atomic +P 124gr has a truncated cone ogive but still plunked and functioned.  Remington JHP 115gr plunked and functioned.  I've run the Federal 124gr Hydra shok a little.

I also generally polish all my feedramps to minimize feeding issues, not always necessary but it just helps eliminate a potential issue.

Cheers,
Toby

This forum rocks!

Offline USMCE4retired

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 07:53:00 PM »
 I can see where  cartridge overall length is a factor. As well as polishing where necessary.
 I got an older model .40 s&w RAMI from Dannyvi and want to put new internals, new mags, and springs.
If I can get it reliable enough for carry I will be one happy individual.

Pertaining to the original question, is anyone knowledgeable as to where to find specs on bullet types by manufacturer?
I have never reloaded so I don't know if reloading manuals have the info I seek. There must be some kind of reference somewhere.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 10:37:14 AM »
Pertaining to the original question, is anyone knowledgeable as to where to find specs on bullet types by manufacturer?

I am not aware of any such data.

This is the best we can do..... https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=114254.0
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline USMCE4retired

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 07:40:56 PM »
 Thanks for the reference, Wobbly.
That will help.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 07:59:49 PM »
I carry Fed 124gr HST in my 9mm RAMI. That's my preferred carry ammo so that's all I've tried.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 08:11:47 AM »
If you discover any info on the 9 or 40, we'd be glad to add them to our list.

Offline Kosh

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 02:13:31 PM »
I'm not very familiar with RAMIs, so I make this suggestion hesitantly. Can the feed ramp(s) be polished or their geometry changed slightly? This may facilitate feeding so that neither pistol need be limited to projectiles with a particular ogive configuration.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2021, 05:26:08 PM »
All CZ pistols are designed and tested around the ammo they can get in Europe, which is strictly FMJ. My understanding is that all testing is done with S&B 115 and 124gr FMJ... the same stuff you can buy here in the states. The only ammo ever reported on this board to give CZs feeding issues is the sharply-angled conical ogive, and then only sporadically. The conclusion is, if you want SD ammo that feeds flawlessly, then stick with the curved ogive ammo, like the Federal HS series and Speer GoldDots.

> I've never needed to polish any feed ramps or change feed ramp profiles on any CZ, and I'm on my 6th one. That was the whole attraction to me... having a gun that functioned properly on day 1.

> The mags new CZ's come with are Mec-Gar, which are generally rated to be the best in the business. Any change in mags would only be a step down.

The bottom line is this:
If you'll simply go with the ammo recommended in the Preferred Ammo List thread then you'll be OK. Lots of other CZ owners have already shot multiple hundreds of rounds and basically done the testing for you. That's the power of belonging to a Community of CZ lovers. That is why this forum exists. And, that is why that thread exists on this forum.

It's really as simple as that.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 05:30:38 PM by Wobbly »

anything