Author Topic: What gun for IDPA  (Read 4114 times)

Offline jimsjrt

What gun for IDPA
« on: August 13, 2022, 03:11:15 PM »
I am wanting to get a metal frame CZ for IDPA. I will go through CGW or CZ Custom. I will have it milled by them for Carry Optic. What are my options?

Offline Stuart

Re: What gun for IDPA
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 05:21:20 PM »
SP01 Shadow has been a popular choice.
Cleans up to have a great trigger
Good balance. Very soft and easy to shoot.
Easy to mill for optic.

Offline xring11

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2022, 06:41:43 PM »
Is there a particular optic that folks recommend for the SP01 Shadow?
Thanks!

SP01 Shadow has been a popular choice.
Cleans up to have a great trigger
Good balance. Very soft and easy to shoot.
Easy to mill for optic.

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2022, 01:24:31 AM »
I'm currently building a uspsa shadow 2 carry optic rig.   I'm going to run a trijicon SRO. 

I've seen my fair share of optics fail in competition.   They get abused.  The trijicon seems to be a favorite and more reliable hopefully.

A cheaper option that seems to hold up is the holosun.

Cheers,
Toby

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
This forum rocks!

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2022, 01:32:06 PM »
I'm currently building a uspsa shadow 2 carry optic rig.   I'm going to run a trijicon SRO. 

I've seen my fair share of optics fail in competition.   They get abused.  The trijicon seems to be a favorite and more reliable hopefully.

A cheaper option that seems to hold up is the holosun.

Cheers,
Toby

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
If Holosun would make a large window competition model, they'd sell a ton.

Offline Johnny Chimpo

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 07:54:18 AM »
Is there a particular optic that folks recommend for the SP01 Shadow?
Thanks

The line starts and ends at Trijicon SRO.

Avoid anything Holosun

Offline Raven45

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 04:15:35 PM »
Trijicon SRO.  Done.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 04:25:18 PM by Raven45 »

Offline buufu

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 03:31:38 PM »
Some of the most popular CZ guns are too heavy for IDPA i believe.  I have the Shadow 2 and the TSO for USPSA/Steel but was told they were too heavy for IDPA.  But the Shadow 1 makes weight

Offline Johnny Chimpo

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2023, 11:26:02 AM »
Some of the most popular CZ guns are too heavy for IDPA i believe.  I have the Shadow 2 and the TSO for USPSA/Steel but was told they were too heavy for IDPA.  But the Shadow 1 makes weight
A. I wouldn't rely on what I'm told.  Most people have a poor understanding of sport rules.  They either repeat what they've been told without checking or are operating several rulebooks behind.

B. Current IDPA ESP rules allow tons of flexibility.  Basically outside of the specific prohibitions that apply to all divisions (not many) you can do whatever you want to a pistol in ESP.  That includes machining lightening holes in the slide and frame to make weight.

Since IDPA CO is ESP + a dot sight or a laser all of the above applies to Carry Optics

Offline Atomic Punk

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2023, 01:48:55 PM »

Offline buufu

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2023, 09:09:47 AM »
A. I wouldn't rely on what I'm told.  Most people have a poor understanding of sport rules.  They either repeat what they've been told without checking or are operating several rulebooks behind.

B. Current IDPA ESP rules allow tons of flexibility.  Basically outside of the specific prohibitions that apply to all divisions (not many) you can do whatever you want to a pistol in ESP.  That includes machining lightening holes in the slide and frame to make weight.

Since IDPA CO is ESP + a dot sight or a laser all of the above applies to Carry Optics

A quick look at the rules (https://www.idpa.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/2023-Equipment-Appendices-V1.pdf) seems to show they were right about the weight.  43 oz for SSP &ESP; and 45 oz for carry optics.   The Shadow is listed at 46.5 oz and the TSO is listed at 47.5 oz.  So it seems they are both too heavy for IDPA rules, as they are originally.  Unless i am missing something

But yes, if you wanted to go the route of machining weight off, it is possible to make it IDPA legal.

Offline Johnny Chimpo

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2023, 01:57:00 PM »
A quick look at the rules (https://www.idpa.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/2023-Equipment-Appendices-V1.pdf) seems to show they were right about the weight.  43 oz for SSP &ESP; and 45 oz for carry optics.   The Shadow is listed at 46.5 oz and the TSO is listed at 47.5 oz.  So it seems they are both too heavy for IDPA rules, as they are originally.  Unless i am missing something

But yes, if you wanted to go the route of machining weight off, it is possible to make it IDPA legal.

That's why I meant by not relying on what others say.  In this case you were given correct advice about the Shadow 2 being too heavy but I've seen more bad advice than good over the years.

[President Regan]Trust but verify[/President Regan]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 05:52:08 PM by Wobbly »

Online Tanners Owner

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2023, 06:27:46 PM »
FWIW, I’ve successfully used my SP01 T, P01 Omega, PCR, P10c P09, and 75b in my IDPA games.  All of these are legal and worked well for me

If I had to recommend 1 of the above, it would be my SP01T.  Can use it in SSP and ESP, depending on your modifications.

My 2 cents
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline larry8061

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2023, 12:17:40 PM »
What he said!  It is a great gun, very comfortable, won't break the bank and can be "adjusted" even better. SP-O1T!!

You may also want to consider buying the gun that FITS you and you are comfortable with (likewise on the red dot).  If you want/need dependability (and serious over kill) Aimpoint.

To start out with ANY gun you can keep pointed down range with your finger off the trigger, unless you are shooting, will work (you aren't going to win your first match anyhow no matter what gun/dot you buy).

anything