Author Topic: CZ TS2 slide lock wont release if I load one round into magazine and rack slide  (Read 1655 times)

Offline Strife21

Noticed something odd today.  On 2 out 3 of the magazines that came with my CZ TS2 if I load one round into the magazine and have the gun with the slide locked back, when I insert the mag and go to pull back the slide to release it to load the round the slide lock will not release.  Its like the follower is putting enough tension on the slide stop to not release it when I rack the slide.

Stranger yet I can manually release the slide stop with my  finger, rather then pulling the slide back and it chambers the round no problem.  If I load the magazine with 2 or more rounds and pull the slide back to release it the issue does not occur either.  Gun fires fine with 2 or more rounds loaded in the magazine too, no pre-mature lock back before the magazine is empty.

Even stranger went home and tried loading a single round of snap caps into each of the magazines that were having issues and it releases if I pull back the slide back no problem.

It does appear with real ammo that the follower seems slightly higher on these two mags then the follower on the mag that is working with no issues.

any suggestions as why this might be happening?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 12:43:55 AM by Strife21 »

Offline Strife21

Did some more investigation with the slide off and slide stop in.  If I hold the slide stop up insert a mag with a single round on each of the 3 mags then slowly let it go of the slide stop it stays angled upward a bit on 2 of the magazines.  On the third the (the working one) it goes back down to its downward position.  It also appears on the two mags that I'm having issues with, the round angles upwards (nose of the bullet angles upwards slightly while the tail of casing dips down a bit).  It does not appear to do this with the mag that is working correctly.

I have narrowed it down to two things at this point, either the slide stop spring is weak and not putting enough downward pressure on the slide stop or I have two faulty magazines.  I don't know which to tackle first at this point.  I mean what are the odds two of the mags are faulty and have only been used 50 rounds each.  They are brand new.

If i put a single round in the the two magazines that are causing issues and push down on the tail end of the casing, while they are on the follower, they appear to stick down a bit and the front portion of the bullet angles upwards thus raising the area of the follower that would touch the bottom slide stop.

Any suggestions would be awesome.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 12:49:54 AM by Strife21 »

Offline Tok36

If i am understanding you correctly, it sounds like adjusting the Slide Stop Spring tension would address the malfunction.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Strife21

If i am understanding you correctly, it sounds like adjusting the Slide Stop Spring tension would address the malfunction.

I rushed a bit when typing both posts.  I edited them and tried to make everything sound a bit more clear.  My apologies.

Any tips on where to a bend the slide stop spring to adjust tension?  If remove the slide stop spring and position it like it is when its in the gun what areas of the spring do I tension and what direction do I bend?

Also what is the best way to bend it pliers or another method?

Sorry for all the questions.

Here is an image of the removed slide stop spring.   Figured that might be easier to mention where to tension it at.

Thanks again for the help.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 09:33:30 AM by Wobbly »

Offline Strife21

Well I actually measured the feed lips of the 2 offending mags and it seems the feed lip distance was about 9.5mm and on the mag that is working its about 9mm.

If I load one round into the two magazines that have issues I can tilt the round upwards and it stays that way.  The rounds can wiggle vertically up and down.   If I try to do this on the mag that is working fine there is no upwards and downwards play of the round, its well secured by the feed lips.

These magazines only have 50 rounds each through them and are basically brand new, so I can't imagine I did anything to them but it seems really strange that 2 of the 3 are doing this.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
With only one round in the magazine does the cartridge tip upwards in the front and downwards in the back?

Does it do that with two, or more cartridges in the magazine?

With the slide removed, if you insert the magazines (with no rounds, one round, two or more rounds) do the bullets contact the slide lock lever where it sticks out above the magazine?

These are .40 S&W in a P07 but notice the difference in slide lock levers (9MM and .40) and how one makes contact with the bullet nose?

I know you're not having this issue with a .40 S&W but there are different slide release levers and you mentioned different angles with the top cartridge in the magazine.  Do you see contact with any combination of cartridge/angle with the slide stop?

How clean/lubed is the slide lock shaft/frame holes/spring?  Does the slide lock move up/down freely or does it bind/drag while moving it up/down by hand?

I've never bent one of those springs but Tok36 will help you with that.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Strife21

With only one round in the magazine does the cartridge tip upwards in the front and downwards in the back?

Does it do that with two, or more cartridges in the magazine?

With the slide removed, if you insert the magazines (with no rounds, one round, two or more rounds) do the bullets contact the slide lock lever where it sticks out above the magazine?

These are .40 S&W in a P07 but notice the difference in slide lock levers (9MM and .40) and how one makes contact with the bullet nose?

I know you're not having this issue with a .40 S&W but there are different slide release levers and you mentioned different angles with the top cartridge in the magazine.  Do you see contact with any combination of cartridge/angle with the slide stop?

How clean/lubed is the slide lock shaft/frame holes/spring?  Does the slide lock move up/down freely or does it bind/drag while moving it up/down by hand?

I've never bent one of those springs but Tok36 will help you with that.

So first of the tip of the bullet does not touch the slide stop at all. So that possible issue can eliminated. 

However if I insert the two magazines that are causing problems, both have the nose of the bullet tip upwards and the rear of the round downward when inserted. (They look fine before that but once they are inserted it almost as if the ejector pushes the rear down a bit and the front feed lips have enough gap to allow the nose to rise)  This actually happens with one or two rounds inserted into those two mags. The other mag this doesn’t happen.

Gun is freshly cleaned also not the issue and the slide lock moves freely.

I also did tension the spring and it did not change anything. Ordered a new spring as well to double check as well

I have tried numerous ammo brands all pointed FMJ, and they all seem to do this on those two mags but using my  aluminum snap caps there is a tighter fit in the two problem mags and this does not occur.  The tilt i mentioned doesn’t happen.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 01:43:54 AM by Strife21 »

Offline Lexinator06969

Strife, was there any conclusion or "problem solved" to all of this?  I am having this same issue, my two original mags work fine but the three additional mags purchased lock back the slide with one round still in the mag.  I can't see this being an issue with the gun but with the mag.  I should also include i am in Canada with a 10 round mag limit. Could use anyone's help.