Author Topic: Questions on Milling a Rami BD slide for a RDS  (Read 1377 times)

Offline MeatAxe

Questions on Milling a Rami BD slide for a RDS
« on: February 05, 2024, 07:41:19 PM »
I’m interested in putting a RDS on my Rami BD, probably a Holosun HS507C, if possible, which I believe has a RMR footprint…questions:

1. Is it possible to mount a rear BUIS along with the 507c?

2. I notice on pics of Rami slides milled for optics by CGW that the cut made at an angle with the front of the RDS tilting downward — why is this done?

Thanks!

Offline Born2vette

Re: Questions on Milling a Rami BD slide for a RDS
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 09:24:20 PM »
1. The 507c would hang over the edge a bit I would think requiring a mounting plate but doable I believe. I have a 507k on my Rami B and retained the factory rear sight.

2. I don’t know that I could tell by looking but due to the difference in barrel plane with the plane the top of the slide is in the mount requires a 1 degree tilt (and there are 1 degree shims available commercially).

A few pics of mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SP-01 Tactical
75 D PCR fully Cajunized
2075 Rami B (9 mm), 85 trigger/reach reduction kit
75 SC Massada
97 B CGW reach reduction kit/‘flat’ trigger/race hammer
457 Varmint MTR
82, 9x18
P10C OR SR

Offline MeatAxe

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2024, 10:50:08 PM »
1. The 507c would hang over the edge a bit I would think requiring a mounting plate but doable I believe. I have a 507k on my Rami B and retained the factory rear sight.

2. I don’t know that I could tell by looking but due to the difference in barrel plane with the plane the top of the slide is in the mount requires a 1 degree tilt (and there are 1 degree shims available commercially).

A few pics of mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NICE!!!

Thanks for sharing that!

I’ve got both the 507k and the 507c from PA with ACSS reticles…while I prefer the bigger sight picture of the 507c, which is easier to pick up, I can see that the 507k “fits” the Rami a bit better and would make the package somewhat more concealable.

Decisions, decisions.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 01:15:28 PM by MeatAxe »

Offline Born2vette

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2024, 10:59:58 PM »
NICE!!!

Thanks for sharing that!

I’ve got both the 507k and the 507c from PA with ACSS reticles…while I prefer the bigger sight picture of the 507c, which is easier to pick up, I can see that the 507k “fits” the Rami a bit better and would make the package somewhat more concealable.

Decisions, decisions.

Nice selection.  I have been wanting to play with the ACSS reticle.  Love the circle/dot but am getting ready to mill my SP-01 and debating trying one.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 06:17:50 AM by Wobbly, Reason: Mods fixed quote »
SP-01 Tactical
75 D PCR fully Cajunized
75 SC Massada
457 Varmint MTR
82, 9x18
P10C OR SR

Offline MeatAxe

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2024, 02:21:35 AM »
Nice selection.  I have been wanting to play with the ACSS reticle.  Love the circle/dot but am getting ready to mill my SP-01 and debating trying one.

As far as I’m concerned, the PA ACSS Vulcan reticle on a pistol RDS is REVOLUTIONARY (especially for those of us with aging eyes)!! Highly recommended and so much easier to acquire targets quickly.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 06:20:11 AM by Wobbly, Reason: Mods fixed quote »

Offline aslerjack

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2024, 05:15:28 PM »

>

If you don't mind me asking who did you have mill your Rami? I asked CGW about milling my Rami when I sent another pistol to them and they told me I would have to lose the rear sight.

Jack

Offline Born2vette

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2024, 06:53:23 PM »

>

If you don't mind me asking who did you have mill your Rami? I asked CGW about milling my Rami when I sent another pistol to them and they told me I would have to lose the rear sight.

Jack

A guy local to me in an Indianapolis suburb who is mostly a 1911 gunsmith. He was worried about interfering with the FPB thus why he moved it forward.  I did not intend to retain the factory sight but it worked out that way.  Was originally planning on using the notch if I had an optic failure but now have BUIS.  PM me if interested and I will give you his contact.
SP-01 Tactical
75 D PCR fully Cajunized
75 SC Massada
457 Varmint MTR
82, 9x18
P10C OR SR

Offline MeatAxe

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2024, 08:16:16 PM »
A guy local to me in an Indianapolis suburb who is mostly a 1911 gunsmith. He was worried about interfering with the FPB thus why he moved it forward.  I did not intend to retain the factory sight but it worked out that way.  Was originally planning on using the notch if I had an optic failure but now have BUIS.  PM me if interested and I will give you his contact.

Well, that’s interesting. From what I’ve seen both CGW and CZC just mill off the rear sight dovetail on both the Rami and the P-01 and use mounting plates. This is a direct mount and leaves room for BUIS.

Any issues interfering with the slide innards?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 08:02:53 AM by Wobbly »

Offline Born2vette

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2024, 08:39:47 PM »
Well, that’s interesting. From what I’ve seen both CGW and CZC just mill off the rear sight dovetail on both the Rami and the P-01 and use mounting plates. This is a direct mount and leaves room for BUIS.

Any issues interfering with the slide innards?

Yes its a direct mount.  No issues with 1000+ rounds since I had it milled. Wish the EPS Carry had been out when I did it as I am always cleaning the window. May put the 507k on a range pistol and get an EPS for this but $$ is a little tight this quarter.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 08:03:17 AM by Wobbly »
SP-01 Tactical
75 D PCR fully Cajunized
75 SC Massada
457 Varmint MTR
82, 9x18
P10C OR SR

Offline MeatAxe

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2024, 08:52:52 PM »
Yes its a direct mount.  No issues with 1000+ rounds since I had it milled. Wish the EPS Carry had been out when I did it as I am always cleaning the window. May put the 507k on a range pistol and get an EPS for this but $$ is a little tight this quarter.

That’s good to hear!

Comparing the rear of the Rami and P-01 slides, externally they appear to be about the same dimensionally: both @ 70mm from the back of the slide to the front of the extractor, both @ 19mm high. Rear sight dovetails are both in about the same spot. The Rami slide is actually wider at @ 27mm while the P-01 is @ 24mm. Unless there’s some internal differences, I would assume you can do on a Rami what you can on the P-01, milling-wise. Both descended from the original CZ75B, though the Rami took an evolutionary side step through the CZ40 / Colt Z.

Of course, the 507c is @ 44.5mm long and the 507k is @ 40mm long, so that may be the determining factor as far as what you can do.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 08:03:54 AM by Wobbly »

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2024, 09:27:27 PM »
Scott Milam at Impact Machine did mine. The fwd cant is machined in so you don't run out of elevation adjustment. I don't care about irons on a pistol this small so no rear sight for me. I wanted it as deep as possible so it did get into the FPB channel, I install the FPB spring from the top side when I install the dot. I'm super happy with how it turned out, Scott knows his way around CZ's that's for sure.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 08:04:30 AM by Wobbly »

Offline Born2vette

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2024, 09:47:54 PM »
Scott Milam at Impact Machine did mine. The fwd cant is machined in so you don't run out of elevation adjustment. I don't care about irons on a pistol this small so no rear sight for me. I wanted it as deep as possible so it did get into the FPB channel, I install the FPB spring from the top side when I install the dot. I'm super happy with how it turned out, Scott knows his way around CZ's that's for sure.
I was surprised when the rear sight dovetail was there when I picked it up.  Was not what I expected but its a great little pistol and works fine.
SP-01 Tactical
75 D PCR fully Cajunized
75 SC Massada
457 Varmint MTR
82, 9x18
P10C OR SR

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2024, 09:54:42 PM »
More than one way to skin a cat, as the saying goes. When I had mine done, the 407/507K wasn't available yet so I went with the RMR cut. I had a battery die during a match(on a 365xl) and finished without the dot. Wasn't that big of a deal, so I'm ok without BUIS.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk