Author Topic: New member with question on CZ identification  (Read 2153 times)

jdwhealton

New member with question on CZ identification
« on: January 02, 2006, 02:18:25 PM »
Hello all and happy New Year from the great state of North Carolina. 2006 now.....

I need some help identifying this CZ75 I've been shootin' and cleanin' for the past four years. Right after I purchased it through an old friend of mine from a national shooting team, the IPSC range around here closed shop. So, I've just been sportin' it around here and there target shooting with my sons and friends. Seems like a supreme waste of a fine tool in our hands, so I've finally decided to offer it up for sale as soon as I find out a bit more about it.

Although I do own two Witnesses and one CZ, I've always been a 1911 guy so I have to admit not knowing much at all about CZ's. And what I read is confusing when I try to match this one up. Maby it's an earlier model of the Champion?? An IPSC??

Both the slide and frame (duotone) have matching serial numbers....125700, slide stamp is 85...Model 75 9 PARA, Bar-Sto 9mmP barrel w/6-port compensator. Frame is factory magwell, wood grips, checkered backstrap and round hammer, steel SA trigger, manual safety, extended slide release and slide assist (in place of rear sight). No slide top serrations and no firing pin block. On top of it all....a Serendipity SL.

I'm going to try to post a pic or two.

Thanks is advance for any help identifying this particular nail driver.

jd

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 03:46:46 PM »
I'm certainly not an expert on race guns, but yours looks as though much work was done on it by a gunsmith after it left the factory.  The controls, the trigger guard, and even the mag well look like non-standard, non-CZ features.

Offline angus hobdell

• CZ Custom
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 03:51:59 PM »
This reminds me of a Jim Boland custom gun, the comp looks just like one of Jim's.
Certianly does not look liek any factory custom gun I have seen.
Angus Duhhhh!

jdwhealton

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 05:36:00 PM »
Thanks for the opinions guys. I'm thinking factory because:

1) there are NO discernable tooling marks around the trigger guard or the magwell....definately would have to be a very good smith I think...to pull that off.

2) grip panels are made to fit and match the form and shape of the well opening flanged area.

3) the matching serial numbers lined up, one over the other, on the slide and the frame

Can you tell me the year of manufacture with the info I've stated?

jd

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 06:35:29 PM »
You obviously haven't seen a lot of custom guns...

(Angus is very close to the CZ factory, by the way, and a member of the CZ pistol team.  He knows what's available, there.)

I think its a Boland gun, too.  I have a Boland-customized AT-84S.  Its has many of the features of your gun.  And you'd think it was a factory gun, except factory guns aren't that nice...  

Good gunsmiths can do that.  They're artists.   (Boland died last year, by the way.)

Notice the grips and mag well?  It doesn't show in the photo well, but the grips are cut around the mag well just like on your gun.  The grips look almost identical to those on your gun.  Notice the redesigned slide stop and safety.  The beavertail isn't stock, either... but you'd think it was.  He also bobbed the hammer.  And the trigger pull is exquisite.

I think your gun is a custom gun.  Probably, as Angus says, a Boland.  That's a custom fit BOMAR sight, too -- really strange way they're mounted, too, with a length-wise dovetail that precludes any other type of sight ever being mounted.  <bleepit>

Offline Stuart

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 07:17:39 PM »
definitely not factory..

there are some really good welders out there..that could pull that off.
I used to have  P9 that was really well done and the work on it was pretty heavy for a custom gun..magwell, beavertail, triggerguard all welded on and shaped..by local Gary Kimball.

Jim Boland, George Smith, George Huening, Josef Dlask, Austin Behlert (recently past away) are a few that could pull that off..as well as Pete Single, Chuck Rogers, Ned Christiansen.

jdwhealton

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 08:34:50 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen. I appreciate your responses. No...I haven't had many custom handguns, just this one and a SVI .40 I won through American Handgunner a while back, which I returned for a caliber change to .45.

I shot for a number of years on the North Carolina NG combat rifle team after active duty but haven't gotten involved in pistol sports, although I do have a small collection of 25 or so to play with.

This is how I learn...ask those who know. These forums are wonderful.

I guess we are fairly sure then that this one is a Jim Boland custom. And, I'm sorry to hear that he's gone. And Angus...my intention here certainly is not to cast any doubt on your knowledge. I didn't know your level of experience.

Any idea now on a fair market value for me to offer this at?
Included will be a Safariland 008 paddle in black basketweave, three magazines, sight rail, extra battery, and a box of 9x21s.

Thanks again, for the assistance.

jd

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 08:44:18 PM »
Still in NC?

If you are, maybe -- once you get a fair market value -- we can work out a trade (of several of my guns for one of yours.)

I'd love to have another Boland gun.  (I'm in Winston-Salem.)

Offline angus hobdell

• CZ Custom
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 11:13:30 PM »
Good luck on finding a new owner for the gun. Boand did some really nice work and as Walt says he is no longer with us, so even rarer work and especially because it was on a pre B 85.

I am sure hwen this work was done it cost a pretty penny, Boland did some firly radical work.
Angus Duhhhh!

jdwhealton

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 07:30:39 PM »
Hey Walt...yep, I'm in NC (New Bern, near the coast). I'm not gonna be interested in replacing this CZ with other guns. Matter of fact, I'll probably be selling a few more off in a while.

I would be interested in swapping for old Fender or Gibson, etc. guitars, banjos and amps. I used to own two music stores and a dot com, but have now retired from that....still collect older instruments as I can find 'em.

I still have no idea of the fair value of the gun.

jd

jdwhealton

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 03:22:51 PM »
Just placed this on Gunbroker if there is any interest.

jd

Offline angus hobdell

• CZ Custom
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 10:38:35 AM »
Good luck I am sure you will find a buyer. You could also try guns america or the USPSA web site.
Angus Duhhhh!

anything